new or refurbished

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ChuckM, May 29, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I've decided to get a onkyo HT-S650. Now my only problem is deciding to get a refurbished one with 2 year warranty for $380 or getting a new one with a one year limited warranty for $500-$560. Is the fefurbished a better deal or is there usally a lot of defects with refurbished items. I would be greatful for any advice you guys can give.
    TIA!!

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    At those prices I would go refurbished. Even in the unlikely event that the refurb dies a prematurely the $180 you saved will go a long way toward replacing it.

3. Jeremy Tebo

Jeremy Tebo Stunt Coordinator

Refurb should be fine. I bought the speakers from that set refurbed from Onkyo, and they sound great for the $.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that's a pretty significant price difference. i'd probably do the refurb too. if the price was closer, then i'd be more hard-pressed to make the choice.

the idea with refurbs is that they're actually a better decision since the unit went back, was "individually" checked out (versus random QA sampling) then packaged back up and sold for a discount.

i think the refurb will work out well for you. just think what dvd's you could buy with the money you'll save. [​IMG]

5. RickMo

RickMo Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Ted (pretty hot in Sacto, huh? I'm up in Truckee). I've had very good luck with refurbs in general, from cordless phones to scanners. As a matter of fact, I sometimes search for the refurbs first.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey rickmo - howdy to a local boy! yep! this weather is killin' me! [​IMG]