What's new

Onkyo TX-SR393 by itself or as part of a HTIB (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
OK there's no existing thread on this AV receiver so I thought I'd start one.

You won't be opening this thread unless you are looking at budget options. Since the chip shortage has hit, this receiver is normally not discounted from MSRP of $329. You can buy a factory refurb for $279 at the Onkyo USA website. https://www.onkyousa.com/product/tx-sr393/ I did this and am generally pleased with the unit. The center channel speaker connections are too small to admit my existing cables.

This unit works well with the Sony UBP-X700 disc player - it accepts DSD from a SACD and processes it in the receiver. It also works well with my TCL TV and connects well from the TCL eARC to the Onkyo ARC (once I bought a new HDMI 2.1 cable). When I turn on the TCL it quickly turns on too. I have not discovered any interface issues among these three components even though they are from three different manufacturers.

I've been running the system with existing older Polk speakers and a JBL powered sub. The Polks are efficient enough that the Onkyo appears to have sufficient power. Onkyo rates it "optimistically" at 155 watts per channel - that's basically a BS rating. Actual RMS rating is down around 80 watts per channel.

It's not a bad AV receiver if you want modern audio DACS, 4k video, and DSD playback from SACDs.

Looking around at the refurb page on the Onkyo USA website, I discovered a HTIB that apparently uses the TX-RS393. It's the HT-S3910. https://www.onkyousa.com/product/ht-s3910/ This HTIB's receiver is labeled a HT-R495 in the pictures but it looks identical and has identical specs as the TX-RS393. For a refurbished price of $349 you get the receiver, 5 speakers, and a powered sub. This is priced $200 under the MSRP for the HTIB. I can't speak for the quality of the item BUT for that price it probably is better than a "powered sound bar" of similar price.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I should mention the overall price of my downstairs budget system. Prices rounded.

TCL 55S535 $450 (last October's BB price)
Onkyo TX-SR393 $280
Sony UBP-X700 $180

Total component price $910. Good luck finding a better deal on a system with this capability.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I said I was running it with my old Polks. My point was that upgrading to present tech levels can be relatively inexpensive. It's too bad that TCL has recently raised its prices so much.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Isn't this one of the Onkyos known for having crummy HDMI boards that are prone to self-destructing in under four years?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's too bad that TCL has recently raised its prices so much.
I was surprised to see the price of that TV, so I looked into it further. A couple years ago I bought a 43" 5 Series on Black Friday for under $200 and I wondered why the price has doubled. TCL has upgraded their lines. The 5 Series from two years ago is now equivalent to the 4 Series and the current 5 Series is equivalent to the old 6 Series. So the price difference isn't as much as it seems on the surface.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well my Onkyo has had a failure. The ARC back from the TV became intermittent, and then finally stopped working altogether. Somehow the other HDMI direction, towards the TV, has no issues at present. I hooked up an optical cable from my TV to the Onkyo and now I have TV audio again.

It's an annoyance to have another cable in my system but at least I got my system up and running again using an optical cable that I just had to pull out of a box.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Even at that price I wouldn't bother since (as you've already experienced) Onkyos have a high failure rate due to bad venting.

Diehardfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Even at that price I wouldn't bother since (as you've already experienced) Onkyos have a high failure rate due to bad venting.
Hmmm, not all Onkyos. I've got a TR-SR608 that I've had for about 12 years. Never had a problem other than the fact that it got old techwise.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Hmmm, not all Onkyos. I've got a TR-SR608 that I've had for about 12 years. Never had a problem other than the fact that it got old techwise.
This refers specifically to Onkyos made in the last 5-7 years since the introduction of the HDCP 2.2 standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks