New Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fuzz092888, Apr 2, 2013.

1. fuzz092888

fuzz092888 Agent

Alex
    Hi to anyone out there. I've reading different audio and HT forums for a few years now and actually started to build my collection of gear about a year and a half ago. I originally started with a Polk subwoofer, Polk Center, and two old JBL speakers I got for free with a Marantz receiver. Since then I've learned a lot and my setups have gone through more iterations than I care to count, but I've finally settled to a place where there will only be additions and no subtractions for awhile. I recently got into DIY and have built a pair of speaker stands, a large sealed sub, and I'm working on a large dual opposed currently. My next focus is hopefully relocating in a year or two to give my gear a real room to shine in, since it is definitely a bit tight in my apartment right now.

Current gear:

V:
    Panasonic TC-P46G15
    Epson 8500UB
    Elite Screens 96" Motorized Tab Tensioned Screen
    Oppo BDP-95
    Onkyo TX-NR 3009
    APC S15

A:
    Electronics:
    Outlaw 970
    Behringer DEQ2496
    Antimode Dual Core
    MiniDSP 2X4
    Aragon 8008X3
    Perreaux 6000B
    Cinepro 1K2
    AB International 800.2
    Crown XLS 2500
    Threshold S/300e

Speakers:
    Philharmonic 3's
    Custom Salk Songcenter
    Source Technology 8.3's
    Source Technology RC4's
    Source Technology Rear surrounds
    EMP E-41B's
    Outlaw LFM-1 EX
    DIY 18" Sealed using PAP Driver

The setup has changed a little bit since I took these pictures, but I'll get around to taking new ones soon enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stand Modification
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Newest addition
    [​IMG]

Dual Opposed build
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Hi, Alex, welcome to HTF! That's quite a setup you've got!

3. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Nice set up, Alex. You have clearly poured alot of passion and resources into it. I have been a lifelong Onkyo reciever man but recently have contemplated a Yamaha, how do you like your Onkyo 3009?

4. fuzz092888

fuzz092888 Agent

Alex
    Thanks, it's taken a lot to get here, but I take time to enjoy it every day for at least a little. I love movies so having a system that, to me, sounds better than going out to the theater thrills me.
    I really like the 3009. It has some quirks that I'm not crazy about, but overall it's been a tremendous receiver for me.

Likes: Lots of power, great processing, tons of features, subEQ, contrary to popular opinion extremely reliable. I have the thing on for 3+ hours 7 days a week and never a hitch.

Dislikes: triggers are only for zone 2 and 3 which means turning on a zone limits the number of channels you can run and forgetting to turn off a zone keeps the receiver hot

Lack of OSD in extra HDMI out

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone with the stipulation that you run a fan on top or give it plenty of space.

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    You can tell you really put a lot of thought into your HT setup. Looks great. I am sure it sounds great too.

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    That 12v trigger thing I wish Onkyo would let itself get over...Integra the triggers can be assigned anywhere...and the OSD is avail on the 2nd HDMI.But yeah...they let Integra have all the final stuff.But back to yours...great theatre in search of a room(we've all been there).

7. fuzz092888

fuzz092888 Agent

Alex
    Thanks, Parker. I've put a lot of effort getting things to where they are now. I love how everything sounds, but can't help but wonder how much better it would sound with a little more breathing room
    That's the only thing that bothers me about Onkyo. I'm thinking about switching back to Marantz if I can find a Marantz 7005, 7701, or 8801 for the right price, but I'm still very happy with Onkyo so I'm by no means in any rush.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment and the others. Hopefully it won't be too long before this system can find a nice room to stretch out a bit.

8. domhost3

domhost3 Auditioning

Hi to all the members here..I have joined this forum just few minutes back..I got through this forum by chance and thought this can be one of the good place to have the discussion on..

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Anupa:

Welcome to HTF. I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Alex:

Having enough room to allow your speakers to breath is a real plus and with your setup I am sure it would
    sound fantastic. But then you would never want to leave the room and get nothing else done.

fuzz092888 likes this.
  10. fuzz092888

fuzz092888 Agent

Alex
    I'm sure you're right. I recently (sort of) finished a build I had been working on and added two more speakers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Neat setup, welcome!

fuzz092888 likes this.