What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
I bought the Best Buy version today and watched 33 and Water. I'd forgotten how much happened on that show!

As for the question about the transfer, I'm no expert but it looks fine to me. The only thing I really noticed was that one moment the image is nice the next there is some grain. I don't know if this was intentional to the show or how the DVD turned out. My TV is a 47" Samsung widescreen...not the biggest but it works for me. Overall I'm happy with the season so far.

The Serenity bonus disc is the usual fluff piece. Mostly Joss Whedon and the cast talking about how great it was that the fans supported them so much and how the movie is the result of that support.

So that's my take on the Best Buy set so far. I haven't checked out the deleted scenes yet so I can't comment on them. Since I'm not into commentaries and already had the miniseries it didn't make much sense to me to wait for the other version to be released.

Either way it's a frakin' cool show!:)

AmitS

Grip
Does the Best Buy version have the funny (IMHO) R&D Productions animations at the end of each episode's end-credits?

Did the US broadcast have these too?

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
The Universal site for the real boxset has been updated.

The extras on disc five are now listed as:

# From Miniseries to Series
# Change is Good
# Now They're Babes
# The Cyclon Centurion
# Future/Past Technology
# The Doctor Is Out (Of His Mind)
# Production
# Visual Effects
# Epilogue
# Deleted Scenes
# Battlestar Galactica Series Lowdown
# Sketches and Art

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like they transfered from film. You would notice motion artifacts if it were PAL to NTSC video transfer.

Matt Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Hang on a sec....
Eric F, you said:

Where in the heck have you seen BSG in High-Def? I would love to see it in HD. I assume it was on Universal HD. Man I gotta get me some of that :) Sadly Comcast doesn't carry Universal HD :frowning:

Britton

Screenwriter
About 3 weeks ago, NBC showed "The Hand of God" and both parts of "Kobol's Last Gleaming" in HD. It looked great.

Roger_R

Second Unit
I'll probably wait for the HD-DVD/Blu-ray/whatever release too. Some TV-station called Ten showed all of season 1 in HD and I just happen to have recordings of all the episodes. :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Here I am vexed about having to decide whether to wait two months, and you're considering waiting ten years or however long it takes...wow.

Roger_R

Second Unit
Well, I don't see any reason why I should buy something with a lower resolution than what I already have. The only real upgrade for me would be the 5.1 sound, but since I don't own a 5.1 system, that feature is useless to me.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I know the technology exists. But the particular product you are imagining (BG in BluRay/HDDVD) might take years.

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know. If the show sells well on DVD (which I think it did in the UK) and is one of Universals hotter TVDVD properties, a HD might not be that far away. Especially if the show keeps running on TV it's much more logical to put it out than one of the older shows.
Of course it all depends on how well the new mediums sell at all - but if the studios decide to release TV shows on HD-DVDs I wouldn't be surprised if BSG was among the first wave of shows to come out.

Matt Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I would love to see BSG be one of the premiere titles to come out in HD. However the whole HD-DVD vs. BluRay thing still looms and I sure don't want to double-dip simply because a format died in 4 or 5 years (if it even takes that long).

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Just to be sure: Aside from the opening theme, are there any other differences between the UK and US versions of season 1?

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I've just watched all episodes from 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM (about). I didnt watch them on TV, the transfer is very good.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Anyone download those UK/US themes? Or have updated links? Those original links don't work anymore. I didn't even realize there was another version of the theme music. I'd like to hear what the UK sounds like, especially since I don't plan on getting the Best Buy version.

Incidentally I imagine that's what Best Buy is marketing on. They release the "UK version" 2 months early. Get people to buy that one. They will probably also carry the "US version" as well. Some people may be confused enough to buy both. Others will want both just for completeness sake. Best Buy cashes in on a quick double dip.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So has anyone received their copy of the Season 1 DVDs yet? I know this is released today, and TVShowsonDVD.com had a great review up yesterday. Looking forward to seeing what TSoD calls the best Universal TV release yet. (I'm just glad they're not using double-sided discs.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks