What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
Got mine about two hours ago...just waiting for the kids to get done with Piglet and it's BSG time. I actually haven't seen the miniseries in it's entirety (just like when the original came out in 1978)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Assuming I didn't forget a set somewhere along the way :D

Maybe that'll convince them to do better jobs with some of their other releases (bonus episodes of other shows coming the same day aren't that exciting).

Gord

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The Bits has a review up on this. They say it doesn't have any deleted scenes, or the doc that was on the mini. According to the box when i got it tonight is has both. Maybe the Bits got screener discs. But looks like i can ditch the miniseries disc. For once a series done right by Universal!:emoji_thumbsup:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks Gord for the review, and the link. Still a sweet set from Universal. If they can do it once they can do it all the time! Alex, the DVD has the US opening music. But it also seems to have the international opening as an extra.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Picked this up yesterday, but I guess the miniseries dvd is worth holding onto (if only to see Tricia Helfer's eyeballs once in a while).

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a review on the Season 1 from a personal standpoint? I've been thinking about picking up the set but everytime I hear a review from TVShowsonDVD talking about Grain or defects in the transfer I end up passing on the set despite their recommendations and I'm afraid on buying the set.

For those of you who have bought the official Region 1 set, how is the quality on the episodes and the transfer? I watch my DVD's on a 20" Panasonic Television Set with a Magnavox MRD-120 HTIB 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound System and I haven't had problems with debris as far as watching other DVD's. Does the quality begin to suffer with the larger television sets ... i.e., is it more noticeable than from a 20" set.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark, I have the set. It looks fine to me. I have a Sony 36" XBR TV and a Sony 7700 DVD player. I wish i could tell you how it sounds but i dont have the surround sound hooked up right now. In the process of moving. But i think Gord is right, it is the best TV on DVD set from Universal. I am not easy to please on picture, but then again i might be more forgiving than you. These things can be so subjective. One thing is for sure, it looks better than it does on Si Fi.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Heh! Thanks ... Lucky for me I have a $20 Gift Certificate from my Reward Zone Rewards Programs to offset the price on the set.:D

But how does it sound? I've been hearing that there's problems with audio effects, from what I read from TVShowsonDVD and it caused me some concern ...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

What makes you concerned about the quality of the audio from anything mentioned there? I also said the set is probably the best TV set released by Universal. Are you sure you're on the right site?

Gord

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Gord,

When I see a review that talks bad about the visual and/or the audio quality it tends to scare me away from the DVD set, which is why I have bothered not to purchase several dozen DVD sets that I have reviews on varying sites, including TVShowsonDVD.

While most reviewers will praise the DVD, I go by what I read as well as the general majority of people who are talking about a particular problem with a DVD. While overall reviews might be strongly positive, that isn't what DVD fans concentrate on.

The review I saw on your site regarding BG Season 1 concentrated more on the quality of the audio and the video defects. Not only, but the reviews on your site do not state what type of television that it's being watched on or what kind of system setup and this forces a lot of fans to shy away from potential DVD sales.

For instance, http://www.animeondvd.com reviews always give detailed reviews on an upcoming anime DVD BUT they also state what they viewed the DVD on such as the size of the television, what type of television, what kind of DVD player or Surround System hookup or whether it was watched on a HD or Widescreen television.

The reviews that you mentioned don't elaborate on this and it's assumed that you're reviewing the releases on a standard 20-25" TV set.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I've listened to all the new, non-podcast commentaries now, and I have to say if you haven't kept up with Season 2 at least through the Xena episode, don't listen. They're chock full of spoilers, including the death of a minor character early this season. And there's a reference to something that I've either missed, they cut out, or it hasn't aired yet.

Apparently there's an episode that will show Laura's life prior to the Cylon attack.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The UK versions are available as a Best Buy exclusive.

On a related note, did anyone else have trouble finding this? They had no copies of either version at the Best Buy down the street from my apartment when I went last night. When I went to the one in Cambridge this evening, they had one copy of the new release and the exclusive UK version. I bought the only copy (EDIT: of the new version that includes the miniseries).

Tom gre

Agent
Hi
i want to bestbuy. to pick up seson one they just had the UK version is there any deffernce between the UK and the US.version of batlestar qalactica?

thank you

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The UK versions of the episodes are slightly edited for content and features different theme music.

More importantly, the US version also includes the miniseries that the show was launched from. This is the most important bonus, though unedited episodes is certainly a plus.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

It has the UK theme music but, as far as I know, it has not been edited for content. If it has could someone give me an example?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
So are the pod-cast's included?

Never mind, I just checked, they aren't....and why not? I mean these dvd's are hurting for some extras anyway and there you had some ready made commentaries, no extra cost to record new ones, just slap them on as is & your good to go....nope. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks