Weekly RoundUp 1-25-2011 (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
600x342px-LL-MikesRoundUp.jpg

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Features[/COLOR]

– Helen Miren (Red – 2010)

28829e92_HornetsNest.jpg

– Noomi Rapace (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest – 2009)

–Cast (Broadcast News – 1987)

–Diane Lane (Secretariat– 2010)

–Russell Crowe (A Beautiful Mind– 2001)

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Prices[/COLOR]

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]SD-DVD TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Target[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Costco[/COLOR]

Adventures of Power

$14.99
ir

$24.99

Broadcast News (CC)

$21.99
ir

$24.99

Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer

$19.99
ir

$24.99

Dead Space: Aftermath

$14.99
ir

$14.99

Dogtooth

$24.99
ir

$24.99

Eclipse Series 25: Basil Dearden's London Underground (CC)

$44.99
ir

$59.99

Enter the Void

$14.99
ir

$14.99

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

$14.99
ir

$15.99

$15.99

Glee: Season 2 Volume 1

$19.99
ir

$19.99

$24.99

Like Dandelion Dust

$19.99
ir

$19.99

Matlock: Season 6

$36.99
ir

$39.99

Nowhere Boy

$19.99
ir

$19.99

Of Boys and Men

$8.49
ir

$12.99

Open Season 3

$17.99
ir

$19.99

$16.99

Red

$15.99
ir

$15.99

$13.00

Red Hill

$21.99
ir

$19.99

Ronald Reagan Centennial Collection

$41.99
ir

$59.99

Santa Sangre

$21.99
ir

$24.99

Saw 3-D (The Final Chapter)

$17.99
ir

$15.99

$17.99

Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season 1 Volume 1

$9.99
ir

$12.99

Secretariat

$17.99
ir

$15.99

$17.99

The Traveler

$16.99
ir

$19.99

Webster: Season 1

$21.99
ir

$24.99

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.
[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]BLU-RAY TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]Target[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]Costco[/COLOR]

Almost Famous (Best Buy Exclusive)

$19.99

A Beautiful Mind

$19.99
ir

$19.99

Broadcast News (CC)

$26.99
ir

$34.99

The Color Purple

$23.99
ir

$29.99

Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer

$20.99
ir

$24.99

Dead Space: Aftermath

$22.99
ir

$24.99

Enter the Void

$21.99
ir

$24.99

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

$17.99
ir

$19.99

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

$21.99
ir

$22.99

$19.99

Nowhere Boy

$21.99
ir

$24.99

Open Season 3 (Combo Pack)

$24.99
ir

$24.99

$19.99

Quiet Days in Clichy

$21.99
ir

Red

$17.99
ir

$17.99

$13.00

Red SE

$23.99
ir

$29.99

$22.99

Red (Combo Pack SE with comic book) (BB Exclusive)

$19.99

Red Hill

$22.99
ir

$29.99

Santa Sangre

$25.99
ir

$29.99

Saw 3-D: The Final Chapter (Combo Pack)

$19.99
ir

$19.99

$24.99

Saw 3-D: The Final Chapter (3-D) (Combo Pack)

$24.99
ir

$24.99

Secretariat (Combo Pack)

$22.99
ir

$22.99

$24.99

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual Titles in the Collections Listed Above:

Eclipse Series 25: Basil Dearden's London Underground (CC) (DVD): Sapphire, The League of Gentlemen, Victim, All Night Long, Head, Drive He Said, A Safe Place.

Ronald Reagan Centennial Collection (DVD): Dark Victory, Knute Rockne All-American, Kings Row, Desperate Journey, This Is the Army, The Hasty Heart, Storm Warning, The Winning Team.

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Disclaimer[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp[/COLOR]. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain!
If there is a title not included in the [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]RoundUp[/COLOR] that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]RoundUp[/COLOR]. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Specials[/COLOR]

--Week #4 in which Costco.com is not listing any DVDs fof sale. Unfortunately, I think it's time to take Costco off the RoundUp. I wish my paper would regularly insert the Ultimate Electronics flyer--but it is currently hit or miss at best. When I get that info I will try to include it each week.

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]--Best Buy has an EXCLUSIVE SE COMBO PACK EDITION OF RED (WITH COMIC BOOK) for just $19.99.[/COLOR]

--Best Buy also is advertising a FREE MOVIE TICKET TO SEE "DRIVE ANGRY" when you buy ANY version of Red at BB. In theaters 2-25-11. Redeemable online for up to a $12 ticket value at participating theaters. Expires 4-22-11. Details on pack. theatrical date subject to change. While supplies last.

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]--Get Dead Space: Aftermath on Blu-ray for just $9.99 at Best Buy when you buy ANY Dead Space 2 game. Products must be purchased on same receipt to receive savings. No rainchecks.[/COLOR]

--Best Buy has the following TV Shows on DVD on sale this week. 50% off TV on DVD. Markdowns taken from regular prices. Excludes outlet center items, special order, clearance, demo and open box items. Selection varies by store. rainchecks on insert items only.:

$12.49: Arrested Development: Season 1

$16.99: [COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)] Entourage: Season 1

$19.99: Battlestar Galactica: Season 2, Supernatural: Season 1[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]--BB has the following Blu-ray titles on sale:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]$12.99: Monsters v. Aliens, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]$17.99: Shrek: The Final Chapter, How to Train Your Dragon.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]$19.99: Inception (1-disc), The Town (1-disc), Legends of the Guardians, The Last Exorcism[/COLOR]

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: DVDs for $16.99 apiece: Machete, Dinner for Schmucks, The Social Network, Piranha.

--No specials listed this week on new releases at Target.

--The following TV Shows on DVD are listed on sale:

$14.99: The Office: Seasos 1-6, Psych: Seasons 3-4.

$19.99: 24: Season 8, Sons of Anarchy: S2.

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]--The following Blu-rays are listed on sale for $10: Michael Jackson's This Is It, Australia, The Crazies, Law Abiding Citizen, Superbad.[/COLOR]

--Target Odds and Ends: Lists of DVDs for $4.75 and $10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks Mike! RED and Secretariat. FYI for those of you wanting to purchase RED it looks like you may need to spring for the SE BD if you want lossless audio. The non-SE BD appears to have DVD quality audio.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Red is in the Netflix queue. Saw 3-D when the price drops since I missed it in the theater. Broadcast News for sure at the BN half off sale. Another week of sub-par deals means another week of staying out of BB and Target for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the Best Buy exclusive Combo pack on Red has the Blu-ray SE? If so, it's a great deal...

Thanks for the tip, Adam. The lossless audio is important to me.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Double-dip alert! For anyone considering either the DVD or Blu-ray of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Music Box will release a box set of the Stieg Larsson trilogy on Feb. 22 containing all three films and additional extras. From all indications, the films in the trilogy set will be identical to the discs previously released, and the new extras will be on a separate disc.

I do not yet have review copies of either Hornet's Nest or the trilogy set.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Could even be a triple-dip as there are rumors the extended cuts of all three films could be released later this year--possibly to coincide with the release of Fincher's version? They've already been released in Sweden.
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

Double-dip alert! For anyone considering either the DVD or Blu-ray of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Music Box will release a box set of the Stieg Larsson trilogy on Feb. 22 containing all three films and additional extras. From all indications, the films in the trilogy set will be identical to the discs previously released, and the new extras will be on a separate disc.

I do not yet have review copies of either Hornet's Nest or the trilogy set.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll have the review up later tonight for Basil Dearden's London Underground (Eclipse Series 25). Criterion was very late getting the review copy shipped.

Like Dandelion Dust, a rare DVD review copy from Fox, will also be reviewed at some point this week.

We asked for a review copy of Glee, Season 2, Volume 1, but there is no way to know if it will arrive or not.

terry deto

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Terry
Don't forget your $8 Secretariat coupon

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/secretariat-coupon

TonyNew

Auditioning
Looking at my local Ultimate Electronics ad, it is showing the Larson Trilogy for release Jan. 25 for the DVD set $34.95/Blu-Ray $45.96, just FYI..not sure what the specs are but another resource for people to look into...

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks Mike as always for the prices.

Hornet's Nest on Blu-ray is already on it's way from Amazon (pre-ordered a month ago when it was priced at $19.99).

I'll pick-up Red on Blu-ray - not sure which version yet, but the $13 price at Target is enticing. Also getting Secretariat at Best Buy for $14.99 using the $8 DMR coupon.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I'm going to pick up the Best Buy exclusive version of Red, but if they're sold out by the time I get there, I'll probably pop over to Target and settle for the single-disc at $13. All other things being equal, I'll opt for lossless audio. It's not worth a $9 difference in my book, however.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
At some point I will rent/buy the "Girl With..." trilogy, but I'm just starting to read the first book and want to get through them before watching the movies.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The SE of Red says it includes a commentary track by Robert Baer. He's the ex-CIA agent whose nonfiction books were the loose basis for Syriana (and he was the inspiration for Clooney's character). Strange choice. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by EricSchulz

At some point I will rent/buy the "Girl With..." trilogy, but I'm just starting to read the first book and want to get through them before watching the movies.
I highly recommend going this route. I wasn't as impressed with Larsson's writing as some people, mainly because I found it preachy and self-indulgent at times, but the books are head and shoulders above the first two films. Niels Arden Oplev's adaptation of "Dragon Tattoo" is very effective, but Daniel Alfredson's adaptation of "The Girl Who Played With Fire" absolutely guts the book, removing all of the complexity of the book while losing much of the atmosphere and tension that made the first film so effective. I can't judge the third movie, since I haven't seen it, but I'm not too optimistic.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for another WRU, Mike.

Hmmm... Not many reviews for the BB exclusive Almost Famous BD yet, but it doesn't sound any better than the UK import so far (other than including most/all the old extras). I'll probably just stick w/ my UK import (plus my old Untitled Bootleg Cut DVD edition) instead -- and maybe try a color print of the cover as I like that much better than the UK cover.

Would be very interested to see reviews for some of the other catalog BD releases, but not holding my breath on the Universal titles -- actually, I'm guessing that's partly why Almost Famous isn't so hot either as it's a Dreamworks title that used to handled by Universal and now by Paramount (like a few other previous Dreamworks releases). Hopefully, if they're any good, the reviews won't be too late for making use of B&N's B2G1 sale.

BTW, looks like Amazon got around to pricematching Target for the movie-only edition of the Red BD. Too bad though that it's saddled w/ a lossy audio track...

_Man_

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
YMMV on the Red Bluray. Target flyer has the Bluray (Special Edition) listed for $13 and Deluxe SE Bluray for $24, when you click the picture it says SE Bluray.

The problem is there is a Regular (1 disc Lossy) and SE (1 disc, Extended/Extras, and non lossy audio) while technically there isn't a Deluxe Bluray. Several people have either gotten Target to honor the $13 price or even pricematched at other stores using the ad.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When I was at Best Buy to pick up Red, the only two options were the 1-disc lossy or the Best Buy exclusive hybrid version with the comic wedged inside. Personally, that's the version I wanted. But because of the extra side and the exclusive, Best Buy probably isn't going to price match the $13 price from the Target ad.

For those who can't stand flippers, be warned that the Best Buy exclusive has the Blu-Ray version on one side and the DVD version on the other, all on one disc. The Blu-Ray side has DTS-HD 5.1 audio and all of the special features from the "regular" SE.

EDIT: probably ISN'T* going to price match

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks