What's new

Need input on home theatre setup (1 Viewer)

silverado65

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hello all, I have a room that is 12x20 and I am going to put a home theatre in this room. I would like to go with a 120" screen and a projector. The receiver I have decided on is a Yamaha RX-V667. Can anyone tell me these things:

1:) How far away from the screen should I put my seating?

2:) What are the best speakers I can get for around $750 for all of them?

3:) I am going to ceiling-mount my projector, should I go for LCD or DLP? My budget for the projector is $2000.

Thanks to all who reply to this message and I appreicate any and all input.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
1) Between 13' and 14'

2) Are you talking about a 5.1 system?

3) I also prefer DLP, but we need to know how tall your ceiling is? Have you viewed any projectors to see whether you prefer DLP or LCD?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Another thought - there are some excellent projector options at price points much below $2000. The Mitsubishi HC4000 can be found for about $1200 and is frequently recommended.

You might be better off adjusting the budget for the projector down at least $500 and using that money to up your speaker budget. You don't want to skimp on the speakers. Big picture with poor sound is not a good experience.

For your speaker budget, I suggest you stick with a 5.1 system for now.

Gill62

Auditioning
Real Name
Gill
With a room 20X12, I wouldn't suggest 7.1, it's really a waste. 750$ for all 5 speakers and a sub is not an ideal situation, I think everyone is on the money with suggesting a smaller screen and in the end a better picture. I'm familiar with the 667 and it's a great receiver for the dollars, The Yamaha's match well with Paradigm (I'm Canadian Sorry) but some people find that the sound is almost to clean, at a similar price point you may find a better deal on Polk Audio or Cerwin Vega . I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear, but you may want to focus on buying a quality pair of fronts that can handle a wide frequency range and a higher end centre channel and pick up your sub and rears when you have the money to buy something you love.

I've made the mistake of buying what I can afford instead of what I loved and always ended up regretting it. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks