What's new

Starting a Living Room Theatre! Need advice! Integra DLB5? (1 Viewer)

Ben Truong

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Truong
Hello all!

Well I am on the great journey of starting my home theatre in my living room! I am looking for a 2.1 or 3.1 system at the moment. I have done hours and hours and hours of researching and reading reviews and watching youtube videos and here are my options I think I can do. My current budget is 1500 for a TV and 2000 for AV set up. My room size is a 15 x 30 room with the TV on one for the 30ft walls and couches in an L shape on the adjacent side. Viewing from the furthest couch is 12 ft.
I am pretty set on the Vizio P65-C1 as my TV so that will go along with the rest as follows. We do about 70-80% TV Movies and 20-30% Music

Option 1 - 2.1 setup

Mains: SVS Prime Tower
Sub: SVS PB2000
AV receiver: Denon AVR-X2300W

Option 2 - 3.1 Setup

Mains: SVS Prime Bookshelf
Center: SVS Prime Center
Sub: SVS PB1000
AV Receiver: Denon AVR-X2300W

Option 3 - Soundbar
Mains: Paradigm Soundscape
Sub: SVS PB 2000

Other speakers I am considering is the ELAC Debut towers, Integra DLB 5 soundbar, and the KEF Q100. My dream set of speakers are the Paradigm 95F but they are a little out of my budget right now. But I have auditioned many speakers to include but not limited to Goldenear, B&W, Martin Logan, and Definitive Tech, to name a few and I believe the Paradigms have the best sound for my taste but like I said earlier I do not have the budget to fit them in my build right now. The reason I like the SVS is due to the 45 day trial period and the 1 year trade in for an upgrade. I am up for any and all suggestions to include but not limited to a Projector set up, another AV receiver, and other speakers. I am looking at the soundbars but I don't think I would be very satisfied if I get one but then again I have not auditioned any soundbars and would love some input on those as well. One of my contacts at a local AV store suggested the new Integra DLB 5 for a soundbar... there is little to no reviews about this and would love some input on that as well. Thanks to everyone in advance I have been trying to design this system for over a year now and I have the money now to drop the investment. I am looking for a futureproof system or at least a system I can start with and then add more to later. I would love to have at least Mains that will last at least 5-10 years but if its a soundbar I am up for keeping it from 2-5 years and then upgrading to towers and the like. More info about our lifestyle. Currently Active duty in the military so we move a lot, I have a 2 year old son who loves star wars and will likely have another one on the way soon. I do have a medium sized dog as well. Our hope is one day have a dedicated movie room but for now the living room is going to have to work. Thanks again for the input! Cheers - Ben

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Here are some thoughts
  • I certainly understand the wants for towers but if you're actively moving I would reconsider it. I have heard that moving with towers can be difficult and frustrating if something happens to them. Bookshelves on the other hand can be packed into a container of some kind and moved in a more secure manner.
  • Most soundbars that people deal with are lower end variety you pick up at the Blue Box. I know that I have very little experience with higher level examples so I'm not really the best to speak about them. I will say that no matter what soundbar you get you're separation of the speakers will be limited to the size of the soundbar. Sure they have where the speakers are angled and what not but I think this can only do so much. Having speakers that you can adjust the distance from the center and angle as you see fit to me seems to be a better solution. The good point is everything is in one clean tidy package so it will be easy to pack and move.
  • Have you considered wall mounting your speakers? This would eliminate towers but if you're going with a 2.1 you should be fine. This will get your speaker up off the ground and away from the kids and dog. Might be something to consider.

How soon are you going to actually buy gear?
How about books like the Q100s for now that you can move to the rear if you decide to go with towers later?
My other suggestion might be something like a sat/sub setup for ease of packing and moving.

Ben Truong

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Truong
Here are some thoughts
  • I certainly understand the wants for towers but if you're actively moving I would reconsider it. I have heard that moving with towers can be difficult and frustrating if something happens to them. Bookshelves on the other hand can be packed into a container of some kind and moved in a more secure manner.
  • Most soundbars that people deal with are lower end variety you pick up at the Blue Box. I know that I have very little experience with higher level examples so I'm not really the best to speak about them. I will say that no matter what soundbar you get you're separation of the speakers will be limited to the size of the soundbar. Sure they have where the speakers are angled and what not but I think this can only do so much. Having speakers that you can adjust the distance from the center and angle as you see fit to me seems to be a better solution. The good point is everything is in one clean tidy package so it will be easy to pack and move.
  • Have you considered wall mounting your speakers? This would eliminate towers but if you're going with a 2.1 you should be fine. This will get your speaker up off the ground and away from the kids and dog. Might be something to consider.

How soon are you going to actually buy gear?
How about books like the Q100s for now that you can move to the rear if you decide to go with towers later?
My other suggestion might be something like a sat/sub setup for ease of packing and moving.

Thanks ArmSC!

You are absolutely right about the towers and moving but I believe I can deal with the move. I have pretty good insurance that would cover any damage to household goods while moving.

I have considered wall mounting my speakers. Thats an option I thin I have if I get bookshelf speakers.

I am looking to get the gear within a month or so but really no rush.

Also we don't usually move yearly its about every 3-4 years we would be moving till we settle down in one spot in a couple years or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks