What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need help selecting TV- Been away from marketplace for almost a decade (1 Viewer)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I used to keep up with AV advances on a daily basis, but 8 years and 2 kids later, I am in the market for a new TV and I am totally lost on what to buy. The last TV I bought was a 55 inch Pioneer Elite PRO-520. It still serves me well, but I am moving to a new house and it is very cumbersome, so i am in the market for a new TV. I need help.
The room the new TV will be going is has 13 feet from couch to TV, so although I am looking at another 50 +inch (but could be talked into a 46 for the right reasons). The room has a lot a of light and will have some seats at off center viewing angles, so I am leaning towards a LED/LCD (but, again, I have been out of the market so long I can be educated into switching to Plasma.
I would like it be 3D (but I don't know between active and passive) , smart, and probably at least a 240 refresh rate (do I need a 600 refesh rate?). It will be used for everyday watching, Saturday night movie night and a lot of sports watching.
I would like to keep the budget between $1,500 - $2,000 because I need to buy a new receiver (recommendations on this would also be appreciated) and blu ray player as well. Also, I don't want to overspend on the TV because technology changes so rapidly. I paid $5k for the Pioneer 8 years ago and refused to upgrade because I invested so much in it.
I am leaning towards Samsung based on some of my research, but have no real ties.
In short, I have no clue what to do and I don't trust the advice of the people of Best Buy, etc. However, I do trust the people on this board.
Any advice and/or education you can give me will be appreciated.

728x90

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I was going to say LCD or LCD/LED until I read about the "off center viewing angles". How off-center are you talking about? Plasma has the widest viewing angle, but not the best for bright rooms. On the other hand, LCD and LED are best for bright rooms, but not the best for large viewing angles. You see the problem.
A 13' seating distance is pretty far for a 50" TV. I wouldn't even consider anything less than 55". I would say 65" but I don't think your budget allows it, unless you go with DLP.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
jim
The brighness is going be more of an issue that the viewing angle, so I am leaning towards the LCD or LCD/LED. 55" is the wheelhouse I was looking in. Any suggestions on specific models?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Look at the 73-inch Mitsubishi DLP for under $1500 at Amazon...81-inch for under $1800...Active 3D with a free firmware upgrade, which is probably already there.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
From the way Mark is describing the light problem, DLP's may not be bright enough. I would look into the 55" LCD's and LED's from Sony, Samsung and LG. CNet is a good site to read about the pros and cons, etc.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would look at Sony, Samsung and Panasonic and stay away from LG or formally known as Goldstar. LG has a nasty problem with dead panels and power supplies and personally am not crazy about the picture anyway. I seriously can not think of one solitary product LG makes that I would spend money on or want even if it was free.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
When I ordered my remote for an open box Sony receiver I purchased, the rep. pointed out that they are having a sale on some of their Sony Bravia models. I believe their 55 inch LED models were going for about $1500. Check them out at sony.com.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'm suitably pleased with the current range of SHARP televisions. Not only nice to look at, but fully multi-system compatible apart from the tuner (even over composite/VCR connection!) if you're a PAL buff.
The built-in speakers aren't anything to write home about, but that's pretty much par for the course anyway.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I increased my budget a little bit and I am leaning towards the Samsung LED 8000 model. Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Jay Shuit

Auditioning
Great choice IMO. I just got the 55 ES7500 which is very similar to the 8000. You will be floored when you put in a Blu Ray movie. And I mean floored.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks