What's new

My DIY Sub project (2 Viewers)

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Having not yet tried to build one of these, I probably should be the last one to comment here, but not knowing what I'm talking about has rearely stopped me before. You might want to make sure that the Quatro can be used in a downfiring design. This concern is mentioned on the Parts Express site in descriptions of their more expensive drivers.

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
The quatro should not be used downfiring, It sags just a little too much.

As far as box designs go, just move the speaker cutout from the bottom of the box to the front and you are set. The most improtant thing is to use the right sized box for the driver. You could use the plans for the EBS shiva, just bump up the volume to at least 155 liters for the quatro. Once you decide how big an enclosure you are going to use I can tell you how long the port needs to be.

If you decide to build using the 12" shielded DVC use the 95 liter adire box (but you will need a different port length). This woofer should also not be used downfiring.

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
The port length will be determined by both the driver used and the box size.

I use that stuff for sealed and usually just line the walls with eggcrate foam for ported boxes.

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
box size 95 liters driver used dayton 12" shielded dvc. (front firing)

Where do I get eggcrate foam (Home depot, lowes, etc. and not at partsexpress)

george king

Supporting Actor
Micheal,

I just started a thread where I described a 54L sealed design. As to the stuffing, the link you have to the PE website, is rather expensive. I went to my local hobby store, and bought 2, 20oz bags of poly fill for 3.50 a bag. The subwoofer sounds great. Just use that.

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
ok, so just buy generic poly fill.

Is that ok for ported?

How much ounces of polyfill will I need (95 liters cab)?

Will I hear a difference between ported/sealed? how much?

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
ok, anyone know answers to other questions?

How much ounces of polyfill will I need (95 liters cab)?

Will I hear a difference between ported/sealed? how much?

And What size port length should I use for a 95 liter (adire design but front firing) cabinet with the Dayton shielded DVC 12" driver? Flared end right?

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
Ported will go much lower and louder with the drivers you are looking into, and works much better for HT while still sounding good with music.

I must admit that sealed does sound better for music but will have a lot of trouble hittind the really low notes that HT demands. If you want to go sealed the 15" quatro will work ok (F3 in the high 30hz range) but the 12" shielded DVC will not (F3 in the low 50hz range).

I don't know the port length offhand (I am at work now) but it never hurts to use flared ends.

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
Yes use the flared port. You don't always need one though, it depends on how fast the air is moving through the port. So if you don't know for sure it is better to use flared ends. There is no downside to using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks