What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is such a great release, and it makes me interested in Flicker Alley's other Blu Rays ( I couldn't wait for the US release of Laurel Or Hardy, and bought the French set)
Some of the films here are scratched (Lucky Dog for example), but there's so much more detail to make out, and most look amazing for their age, they've never looked better. The documentaries are informative, as are the stills and commentaries.

The work done on recreating the title cards is stellar, but can anyone confirm if they use the correct Lion for MGM? :lol:
If you’ve not perused their site, you’ll find it worthwhile. I just picked up another silent from them, FA is a class act.

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Finally got around to watching all of disc one. Most of these are really more of Stan Laurel comedies that happen to have Oliver Hardy as a supporting player. What's interesting is that the first released film, Duck Soup, has almost all the hallmarks of a full L&H comedy. Only missing the mustache (Hardy sports a five o'clock shadow instead).

It's interesting to see how many gags and stories from these turned up in later sound comedies. Duck Soup was remade as Another Fine Mess, most obviously. The new restoration has one sequence that hadn't been in the earlier version and it pushes the limits of what the Hays Code allowed (SHE's RAW!). We also get several appearances of the great James Finlayson.

The restorations are jaw-dropping for the most part. Only short that looks rough all the way through is Lucky Dog, which is one of two pre-1927 shorts. Very clever editorial work on Lobster's part as there's many sections where even just a second or two of footage comes from an alternate source, yet it's quite seamless. The scores are also wonderful. While I tend to prefer organ over piano for comedies, these are all appropriate and add to the experience.

Looking forward to watching the second half later this week.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I can’t think of a time in recent memory in which I read a thread from start to finish - all 44 Posts - with such increasing interests, inspirations and endless joy.

So much to be thankful for in regards to this project; and with this, I send my gratitudes to HTF member Randy Skretvedt and all of whom were involved.

I shall order directly from Flicker Alley and not bat an eye at its price…as I feel this labor of love effort put forth makes this offering a steal within a steal; and I do mean to the point of making me feel guilty; especially with its inclusion of a 36 page booklet and extras enough to sustain us all towards Year Two.

P.S. Thanks to bujaki for steering us towards the Flicker Alley catalogue. It’s time to dive in.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Anyone from Canada know the best place to get this?
best answer is PM Tony Bensley, he would know the best way in Canada,

Sorry, I've only just seen these posts now! I've found WOWHD to be the best Canadian online source of late, although confusingly, it is now listed as co.uk rather than .ca, although it displays Canadian pricing! Weird.

Nevertheless, at $52.18, they have by far, the best Canadian pricing for this set that I've seen:

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Sorry, I've only just seen these posts now! I've found WOWHD to be the best Canadian online source of late, although confusingly, it is now listed as co.uk rather than .ca, although it displays Canadian pricing! Weird.

Nevertheless, at $52.18, they have by far, the best Canadian pricing for this set that I've seen:

Hey Tony I knew that you would have the best answer

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Please forgive me if the relevant information has already been posted elsewhere, but I do have a question that relates to THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927) which is the one Laurel & Hardy film present on both the Flicker Alley Laurel & Hardy Year One, and Kit Parker Definitive Restoration sets.

While I have read elsewhere that the commentary tracks differ, with Randy Skretvedt and Serge Bromberg on the Flicker Alley version of TBOTC and Richard W Bann on the Kit Parker Definitive Restorations TBOTC version, are the transfers for both versions otherwise identical with background music by *David Sosin, or are there other differences I have to look forward to experiencing come Christmas morning?

EDIT: * Donald Sosin, and I think that may be one question answered?

2ND EDIT: A poster at Nitrateville stated the Flicker Alley Restoration of TBOTC does look noticeably better (Though not a huge night and day difference!) than the transfer on the Kit Parker version, and uses the same Donald Sosin score.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thank for placing the title at the beginning of your post then using the short form. So many people use the short form in there posts thinking we know what the hell they are talking about.

Thank you friend.
Well, it does make for some tantalizing mental activity, but I don't think I'd ever be able to figure out TBOTC. Sounds like an a cappela soul choir or barbecue chain.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thank for placing the title at the beginning of your post then using the short form. So many people use the short form in there posts thinking we know what the hell they are talking about.

Thank you friend.
You're welcome, Allen.

To be honest, I don't even like using abbreviations very much at all, so I try to be sparing with them!

For a long time, I didn't know what the hell TAGS (THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW) and DvD (An extra confusing short form of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, especially in instances the "v" remains capitalized, OY VEY!!!) were supposed to stand for! :lol:

FreshFish

Auditioning
Real Name
John Wilson
I've ordered Flicker Alley's Laurel Or Hardy Blu Ray, even though I already have the French 4 DVD set, because it looks like a much nicer package.

Now to start the wait for Laurel and Hardy Year Two :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks