What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mary Pickford, possibly the most beloved actress of the silent era, and wife of Douglas Fairbanks, made her first screen appearance in 1909, and her final in 1933.

By the time that she starred as two teenage girls in Stella Maris in 1918 - yes, this occurred before either Haley Mills or Lindsay Lohan entered the picture - she was considered Hollywood royalty, and properly so.

VCI is releasing yet another Pickford silent with the cooperation of Paramount Pictures, The Mary Pickford Company, The Mary Pickford Foundation, the UCLA Film Archive and The Library of Congress.

Based upon a 35mm duplicate negative and a partial original tined nitrate print, the final results are never less than beautiful, and the synchronized score works beautifully with the film.

Grain structure is retained and beautifully rendered. Tints appear accurate to the era. The image is clean and stable, especially for a 105 year old motion picture.

Stella Maris catches Miss Pickford during the early prime period of her career, just after The Poor Little Rich Girl (1917), directed by Maurice Touneur, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (1917), directed by Marshall Neilan, as well as another Neilan film, Daddy-Long-Legs from 1919, and Pollyanna from 1920.

For those just getting acquainted with the wonders of the silent cinema, VCI has already release Sparrows, Little Annie Rooney, Joanna Enlists and Fanchon the Cricket.

Your purchase of these discs supports films restoration and at the same time, creates a wonderful viewing experience. For those who may be less experience in the era, silent films are not contrasty, jerky, scratched, splicy films. Presented correctly, they can radiate a beauty unseen in decades.

The film was remade in 1925 by Universal, starring Mary Philbin (Phantom of the Opera).

Image – 8.5

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 8 (if you love silent cinema, if not give it a try)

Upgrade from DVD - Yes!

Slipcover rating - n/a

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I hope that VCI is selling their Mary Pickford titles steadily. This is a remarkable and exciting endeavor to restore and concentrate solely on Miss Pickford’s career. I have VCI’s 4 previously released Pickford titles and shall be taking on Stella Maris, as well. I hope that those of the HTF membership who are now familiarizing themselves to silent films gives, at least, one Mary Pickford film a try.

One question, though. On the Amazon Pre-Order option, Stella Maris is being advertised as a DVD. Is this a mistake? If so, VCI and/or Amazon needs to be alerted, in order to promote the correct format of Stella Maris on Blu Ray.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I hope that VCI is selling their Mary Pickford titles steadily. This is a remarkable and exciting endeavor to restore and concentrate solely on Miss Pickford’s career. I have VCI’s previously release Pickford titles and shall be taking on Stella Maris, as well. I hope that those of the HTF membership who are uninitiated to silent films gives, at least, one Mary Pickford film a try.

One question, though. On the Amazon Pre-Order option, Stella Maris is being advertised as a DVD. Is this a mistake? If so, VCI and/or Amazon needs to be alerted, in order to promote the correct format of Stella Maris on Blu Ray.
Thank you, Philip, I’ve made the distributor aware. Here’s the link:

The list and discount are correct for the Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks