What's new

moving sub do I need L/R wire (1 Viewer)

Henry Ferris

Auditioning
I noticed on one thread that it was stated that you only need the left or right line plugged in on the sub. I have 2 sub cables plugged into the L & R. I am going to move the sub so I need new cables. Will it be alright to just get 1 cable and hook it up to the L or R?. If so then the store sold me an extra useless cable or is there some benifit to having 2 cables?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
No benefit to using two cables for a standard installation. One is enough. Just to be safe, which brand and model number is it?

Henry Ferris

Auditioning
Can't remember model number or see the info in its current position but its a mission 10" direct firing. I have had this sub for a number of years. When i dig it out I'll be able to check the model number. It will shortly be the weak link in my system but I have spent my limit so that particular update will have to wait. I see we have some of the same equipment. I just set an Oppo 83 up and my other DVD player is a DV95avi. My speakers are Polk Lsi all around with the 25 towers as mains with ATI amps to drive the these speakers. Reason I am moving the sub is I just ordered a Denon990 from Futureshop and nows the time to do it. I just could not ignore the $500 off sale.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Sounds like a very nice system. With your system, you really need an SVS sub, to add the bass that the LSi's deserve. Your Mission sub may be a decent sub, but a 10" driver just can't do your system justice. The LSi's are excellent (my front three are LSi's), so you need a comparable sub. I know the 25's can give some bass, but not like the SVS. I just got the PC12-NSD cylinder sub from SVS, and it's made an awesome difference in my music and movies. You just don't realize what you're missing, until you hear it. See them here: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub.cfm
Do your system a favor and save up............

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Just to chime in, My SVS 5.1 System arrives today (I also upgraded to the PC-12 cylinder sub) When I spoke with Their CS department about the L&R Inputs (as I currently have on the sub I have now) I was told you will have a 5-10db gain when splitting your line-out to L&R on the sub. However it was also explained to me this is completely unnecessary as you are not increasing the subs overall capabilities. Levels can be controlled by both AVR level, and the level adjustment on the sub. So the bottom line is if you use a automatic room EQ system such as Audyssey etc.. with the line out split to l&R input, and switch to one line input, you would have to recalibrate the room, or manually adjust the level on either the sub or in the AVR to compensate.... no real gain
Chris

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Henry,

Both L & R inputs are needed only if you're driving the sub from the front L & R preamp outputs. Doing so involves other complications, like using a crossover circuit in the sub and connecting outputs from the sub to the amp inputs of the L & R front speakers.

If you're driving the subwoofer from the subwoofer output of your AVR, then only one of the two needs to be connected (and the subwoofer's low-pass filter should be turned up all the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks