What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Movie deaths that stayed with you... (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Two that hit extremely close to home for me:

"Spider-Man":
when Peter Parker comes up to see his uncle Ben shot, and Ben dies in his arms.

"Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones":
when Anakin Skywalker's mother Shmi dies in his arms.

Both of these films came just a couple of months after watching my dad pass away after a six-year bout with strokes and Parkinson's. When I got the "Spider-Man" DVD, I deliberately skipped past that specific chapter, and I still do to this day.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
I would have to say for me is on the original 1976 Assault on Precinct 13 when gang member next to the ice cream truck with the silenced rifle shoots that little girl as she complains about getting the wrong ice cream to the ice cream man right after they killed the original ice cream man.

That was a harsh part to see but I also found it kind of funny how it when too.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

I think this thread has taken the prize for most spoiler tags ever. Oh well. No way around it, I guess.

--Jefferson Morris

John-Paul

Grip
I just thought of 2 more.

Bruce Willis

in "Sin City"

I was very upset that he killed himself because I wanted to see him and Jessica Alba end up happily ever after together. They had great chemistry.

Another movie suicide that got to me was

Janeane Garofolo

in "Sweethearts"

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
E.R.
I think the episode is called Love's Labor Lost or something like that. The image of the father cradling his newborn and receiving news his wife is dead.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
A death that definitely stayed with me, and I'm sure a lot of people when they first saw it, in "Alien" with the first chestburster scene.

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator
There was always the scene in Dodgeball when

Patches O'Houlihan is crushed by "irony."

:D

Seriously, though, the scene in The Godfather when

Sonny is killed at the causeway is always a pivotal point in the movie to me. He's such an animated character that the movie takes on a completely different tone from that point on.

Nick

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Ditto on the NYPD BLUE death.

One of the most effective film deaths for me was the one that occurs in Peter Jackson's HEAVENLY CREATURES.

Also two from the TWIN PEAKS TV series:

Laura's cousin Maddie (also played by Sheryl Lee), in what may be the most brutal murder ever depicted on network TV, and the death of Leland Palmer two episodes later, with Agent Cooper "guiding" the dying Leland into his daughter's arms in the afterlife.

There's a death towards the end of LONGTIME COMPANION that's very wrenching, too.

Also two Lars Von Trier film deaths:

Bess MacNeil's death in BREAKING THE WAVES, along with Bjork's in DANCER IN THE DARK

Oh, and one that distrubed me to no ends and really stayed with me from Bergman's THE VIRGIN SPRING:

When Max Von Sydow kills the little boy- who essentially was an innocent- towards the end.

Vincent

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
For me, it's without a doubt these...

The Toxic Avenger...
When the gang of punks runs down the kid on his bike, and then backs their car over him and crushes his head, then they all get out to take polaroids of the mess.
:frowning:

To this day, I am traumatized by the very thought of that scene.

Kill Bill Vol 1...
Go Go's death. So young, so soon, so hot!

The Green Mile...
Del's execution. One of the most horrific, and extended, scenes i've ever seen!

Also from that one...

Percy stomps on Mr. Jingles.

I swear that I want to reach into the screen and rip his heart out everytime I watch that scene!

The Shawshank Redemption...
Brooke's sad and lonely suicide.

A Time to Kill...
The description by McConauhey to the jury of the rape and murder of the little girl.

Sometimes word's are enough, the images it conjured in my head stayed with me for a while.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial...
The death of E.T. of course. I reacted the same way Gertie does as a kid watching that.

Predator...
The death of the Predator. He came, he kicked human ass, he died with honor, just like a good Yautja should.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King...
Gollum's death. Poor Little misunderstood fellow.

Air Force One...
When Gary Oldman executes that woman while she pleads for her life.

Damn! :frowning:

Wrong Turn...
When the hot brunette girl get's half-capped in the tree by an axe through the jaw.

What a waste. :frowning:

Death by beheading. Decapitations just freak me out in any film, it's a humiliating way to go, to have your body's command center severed. I heard that you crap and pee yourself simultaniously. Aweful.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Surprised no one mentioned Brian Song. Gets' me misty every time and also Honey I shrunk the Kids (the baby ant)
. Ditto on FOTR Boromir

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
A death that got to me was from Less Than Zero when Julian dies

For some reason that had me really weirded out for a long time. In fact I was happy to see his next film just "to make sure he was fine" :crazy:

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know why but this one in Face/Off stuck with me when I watched for the first time.

When Nic Cage is on the plane getting ready to take off near the beginning and the hot stewardess lets him come on to her. Then after it's revealed that she's an agent, he brings her to the door to face Travolta who's in the car speeding alongside the plane down the runway, when he shoots her in the head and lets her body drop to the tarmac, where it hits like a rag doll. Ouch.

I don't know why. Watching the movie now, I don't really like it, but that scene stuck with me.

Also in the same vein, in Road Warrior:
The girl on the top of the truck gets dragged down to the street

I don't know, maybe it's a thing I have about cute girls getting dropped in streets from speeding things.

Britton

Screenwriter
Vincent_P already mentioned the death from Twin Peaks that really stuck with me.

So I'll mention On Her Majesty's Secret Service:
Traci's death at the very end. It wasn't her death that stuck with me so much as that it ended on that note. I was expecting Bond to start up his car and hunt down Blofeld then and there. I was 8 or 9 when I first saw this, and having seen many of the other movies, I couldn't believe the credits started rolling when they did. Bond never lost! To make matters even worse, Diamonds Are Forever did such a piss poor job of tying up all the loose ends from OHMSS.

And in The Hitcher:
Jennifer Jason Lee being ripped in 2 by Rutger Hauer. Especially seeing that after having seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High many times.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Britton,
regarding The Hitcher, I always thought that Jennifer got her arm's or leg's ripped off, considering how she was tied to the truck at the wrists and ankles. I figured that either her shoulder's or hip's would give way before her mid section.

A morbid observation to be sure, but that was always my take on it, but who really knows for sure? ;)

Both from when I was a kid.

Neverending Story
Artax in the swamp

My Girl
Thomas after being stung by bees.
Never saw that one coming.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I haven't seen this movie in quite a whilte but the version of Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando when:

Fletcher Christian dies. He's been burned and he's laying on the ground. One moment his eyes have life and can see, and the next, they are lifeless and staring into a void. Really got to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks