What's new

Movie deaths that stayed with you... (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I couldn't care less about the character, and remember little else about the movie, but from childhood that one has haunted me.

--Jefferson Morris

wally

Second Unit
Trog

Showing my age.

When the guy gets hung on the meat hook and it comes out the front of his throat.

Only saw the movie once (drive-in) and it had to be 35 years ago, but I can still see it.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Jaws:
Chrissie, the first victim. There's a scene that's horrifying without being gruesome.

Fellowship of the Ring:
Yes, Boromir had one of the best death scenes in recent memory.

"I would have followed you. My brother, my captain. My king."

The Two Towers:
Theodred's death, mosty for Eowyn's mournful song at the funeral in the Extended Edition and for Theoden's reaction after the burial.

Shaun

Second Unit
Krull always gets me with these scenes:

The room with the spikes coming out of the walls. The one guy gets it right in the stomach real slow.

Also...

When the Cyclops gets crushed while trying to enter the Beast's Castle.

LawZalasky

Auditioning
While there are a number of brutal deaths I can remember that stick in my head, the infamous 'headache' in Scarface, some quick shots in 'Taxi Driver' (I was born in 77 and my parents were very liberal with my movie watching)but the first thing that popped into my head was:

Transformers: The Movie
When Optimus Prime is dying and says "Do not grieve..." that was pretty much the queue for all the little boys in the audience to start grieving. I was eight and I think it was the first time I really came to know what 'death' was.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I would definitely include the first victim of the shark in Jaws (and the second for that matter). I saw the film when I was about 6 and I rarely venture into the sea on holiday :frowning:

The sacrifice of a slave in Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom was also another film that gave me nightmares for months.

I guess its movie deaths that I saw as a child which affected me most.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Forrest Gump:
For some reason, the line in Forrest Gump where Mama says: "I will miss you, Forrest." That simple line drives home the fact that death is forever.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

Those are the kinds of scenes I was thinking of in starting this thread. They don't have to be grandly moving or spectacular, but there's just something about them...

I'm reminded of Coppola's commentary on the Godfather DVDs, where he says he always tried to add some unusual detail to each hit that would make it memorable, like a joke ("Leave the gun, take the canoli") or some weird detail (Carlo kicking out the window, McCluskey choking on his food, etc.)

--Jefferson Morris

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
As a kid, in "The NeverEnding Story" when...

Atreyu's horse dies in the quicksand. When you're a kid... it's deeply affecting.

Shaun

Second Unit
Also in Aliens...

When Bishop is skewered from behind and ripped in half by the Alien Queen (not really a death since he's an android) When you're a kid that kind of imagery just sticks with you.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
In Neverending Story, Artex dies in the swamps of sadness rather than quicksand.
Sorry...someone here was gonna do it. ;)

How about The Patriot when Benjamin's son is shot by Lucious Malfoy.
What a muggelish weapon. :D

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
Surprised noone's mentioned "Dancer In the Dark"

When Bjork is dragged from her cell at the end to walk to her execution, Bjork's acting is so raw that I couldn't help but be deeply affected long after I watched it. I have it on my shelf and have not yet watched it a second time.

Michael

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I'll put in a 2nd for the previously mentioned death of Boromir
in Fellowship of the Ring.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Forrest Gump? E3? Jaws? LOTR?

The most disturbing death EVER is in Platoon
when the one legged, mentally challanged kid gets his head smashed in by Kevin Dillon. What's brilliant about that scene is you NEVER actually see the violence. Ultimately I think the scene has MUCH more impact by not showing the violence rather than showing it. Also, the close up of the mothers face after the killing is truly shocking. This scene gave me nightmare for weeks.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Transformers The Movie:
Optimus Prime definetly one that still sticks with me.

Also from the same movie:
Galvatron doing away with Starscream now that was poetic justice.

Megatron..., is that you, Here's a hint!!!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Now to think about it one more since I was a small kid.

Night of the Living Dead
When the couple goes into the car and it explodes and you see the zombies having barbaque arm

and

The last guy standing from the house and he get's it from a far by the sheriff's deputy. Poor guy, been through hell and he get's it.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that no one has mentioned "Full Metal Jacket". On an "anniversary" episode of "Ebert and Roeper", there were clips from old episodes of "Siskel and Ebert" being shown, and in one, Siskel and Ebert were arguing because Ebert gave thumbs down to the movie and Siskel said something like "I have never felt a death so much in a movie". Ebert countered by bringing up a few other movies, one of which was "Apocalypse Now". I agree with Siskel on this one, because I thought the most disturbing death I've ever seen in a movie was the one in "Full Metal Jacket".

On a side note, I hated "Apocalypse Now" and was not emotionally affected by anything that happened in that boring, pointless movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks