What's new

Monty Python and the Holy Grail...Again? (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter
So if this definitely a new transfer, can anybody absolutely confirm whether the correct "Monty Python ik den holy gralen" subtitle is present/missing from the opening credits?

John

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
up next from SONY: the 17th re-release of THE DARK CRYSTAL,

The ONLY way to reliably know for sure if this is a new transfer is to put the disc into your computer, open it on the desktop, choose "list view" and the VOB_TS file dates should be seen. probably something like July, 2006.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
File dates can easily be changed for any number of reasons. A more recent date doesn't necessarily mean it's a new transfer.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Based on Colin's reporting, and the actual disk packaging posted earlier, I think there's overwhelming evidence that it IS a new transfer. The aspect ratio is different, now matching the old Criterion LD. The packaging explicitly indicates that the transfer is new. Colin has said that print flaws from the first edition are gone, and that the file dates are indeed 2006. And he confirms that infamous missing subtitle has been restored.

I was convinced even before this evening, when I saw this on the shelf early (at full list price, unfortunately) and held it in my hands. The box points out TWICE that it is a new transfer, sourced from a high-def master. Nice-looking package, too. Yes, it's yet another double-dip from Sony, but it seems they actually got it right this time!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>File dates can easily be changed for any number of reasons. A more recent date doesn't necessarily mean it's a new transfer.
---
can you cite a source of this info or better yet, an example?
and why(not)?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
A new file creation date would indicate a new ENCODE has been made. It doesn't mean that the encode was or wasn't made from a new transfer.

That said, looks like this one is, which is great!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dates can be changed by checking the files out of whatever revision control system is being used by the company producing the disc. They can be changed by being moved from one system to another. Or, they can be changed purposefully in any number of ways without ever touching the data they contain.

If the VOB files on a DVD have a more recent date/time stamp than those found on a previous release of the same film it *may* indicate that it's a new transfer, but it's certainly not a guarantee.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Colin - For my part, I wasn't doubting if the new release of "Grail" has a new transfer. I was questioning the use of VOB file dates on a DVD as a certain indicator of a new transfer.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Don't worry Colin, you convinced me (and seemingly a few others here) before I even saw the thing.

And Amazon has now corrected its listing, with the release date back to October 3rd. However, they seem to be discounting it based off the list price of $19.97 instead of $29.99, so it's only about 14 bucks. I'd say move fast in case they change it!

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Spamalot opened in London's West End this week - maybe the new release was prompted by that?

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Count me in!

I just got an e-mail from Amazon.com that the release would be shipped sooner than expected whatever that means. Still got it for the $13.99 which is a big plus!

Jay*W

Second Unit

Bob,

I got the same e-mail. I think it means sooner than the previous January 2010 release date that they had been showing!

Jay

P.S. Colin's word is as good as gold to me -- as soon as he gave the good word, I placed my order

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

Yea that is what I figured but an estimated delivery date of 10/12-10/14 seems a bit crazy for a release date of 10/3. No hurry though since I still have 3 other copies I can watch until then.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
At the risk of making Colin cry, the latest Entertainment Weekly calls this release a "repackaging", and thus gives the DVD (not the movie) a lower rating. So now the masses will be unaware of the new transfer as well. :frowning:

That aspect alone should've been the primary focus of the marketing of this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks