What's new

Monty Python and the Holy Grail...Again? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Colin won't cry over EW's mistake, though they're not that far off the mark. It's a new transfer with a few new extras, but it isn't exactly a fresh set - it doesn't blow away the 2001 release. I think it's the one to have, but I don't know if I'd upgrade if I owned the 2001 version - the picture's better but it's not a slam-dunk, and the extras aren't worth the money...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Are there any extras on the 2001 release that aren't included on this one?

I still haven't picked this one up, so I may have to go for it finally.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Entertainment Weekly provided inaccurate information?! I can't believe it! ;)

I still remember their report about the (first) Star Wars DVD set, when they announced that "Episode IV: A New Hope" was now going to be added to the opening crawl (apparently unaware that it had been added to the movie in the early 1980's).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Generally speaking a "repackaging" doesn't entail an altered aspect ratio, that was the kicker for me (...ahem...assuming that this info from Colin is correct....;) )

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
DVD Journal's review is up.

On the transfer:
:D

I'll be upgrading for (1) the new transfer (1.66:1 seems more correct for this film), (2) the fixed subtitle, (3) the "soundtrack" CD (which somehow I never managed to pick up).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, between the aspect ratio and the FINALLY fixed subtitles, I think it's worth an upgrade for the funniest comedy ever made.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just FYI, I did request a review copy of this, but did not receive one. The screeners from Sony have been fairly sparse lately. (I do have a couple in-progress, though -- I haven't disappeared!)

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Does anyone know if this release will contain the "King Brian The Wild" animated segment? There is also some extended dialogue from when King Arthur inquires about the shrubbery from the old woman. Both of these are found in the game.

I have both of these in QuickTime, but I would love to have them on DVD.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Here is a quick screen shot comparison between the 2001 SE and the new set. Note the colors go weird when I paste into mspaint-this is a really low tech screengrab just meant to show the AR.

2001 SE

2006 version

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the screenshots. The new framing looks much less crowded and I suspect it's the correct one.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
No problem. I was actually going to watch it last night, but my HT is still torn apart after we were threatened with flooding here. I made the smart choice of putting my HT in the basement. :frowning:

Kind of hard to elevate an RPTV on short notice.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Theres a great reason too buy this set,The Soundtrack is a must have!!
If you don't have it allready that is,its a fine Python Lp with all types of great
stuff not in the film

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon had a problem at their warehouse with this dvd. I ordered the new
2 disc edition and was sent the UMD version of the film. I contacted Amazon and they sent me a replacement copy. When I opened the box, I found another copy of the UMD, much to my chagrin. The UMD was labeled incorrectly as the new 2 disc edition. Amazon said they will refund my money after sending the 2 umd's back. Very frustrating.

Jay*W

Second Unit

Brad,

I had the exact same scenario play out for me. Both frustrating and befuddling!

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks