What's new

Pre-Order Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983) (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81WURbXCUaL._SX522_.jpg

Bonus Content:

• Includes 4K UHD, Blu-ray and a digital copy of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.)
  • Features High Dynamic Range (HDR10) for Brighter, Deeper, More Lifelike Color
  • The Meaning of Monty Python: 30th Anniversary Reunion
  • The Snipped Bits
  • The School of Life
  • 2003 Prologue by Eric Idle
  • Show Biz
  • Fish
  • Sing-Along
  • Soundtrack for the Lonely
  • Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam Commentary
  • The Meaning of Monty Python 30th Anniversary Reunion
  • Prologue with Eric Idle
  • The Meaning of Making The Meaning of Life
  • Educational Tips
  • Un Film de John Cleese
  • Remastering a Masterpiece
  • Song and Dance
  • Songs Unsung
  • Selling The Meaning of Life
  • Virtual Reunion
  • What Fish Think
  • Feature Commentary with Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam
  • Sing-Along Version of the Film

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yeah, the blu-ray barely looked better than the DVD.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Looking forward to seeing Mr. Creosote in all of his 4k Glory.

Also, Gruv.com has this up for pre-order at $19.99 with 20% off of you sign up for their newsletter.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've never really thought of any of the MP films as really candidates for UHD. My perception is that they're all rather low budget productions, though very funny, but that the production values and filming methods wouldn't really show any benefit in 4K. Could be wrong, though.

The press release also doesn't seem to mention any sort of new mastering. Did they just swipe some HDR on it and call it a day?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've never really thought of any of the MP films as really candidates for UHD. My perception is that they're all rather low budget productions, though very funny, but that the production values and filming methods wouldn't really show any benefit in 4K. Could be wrong, though.

The press release also doesn't seem to mention any sort of new mastering. Did they just swipe some HDR on it and call it a day?
Well one of the bonus features is called "Remastering a masterpiece". That wasn't on the 2013 Universal blu-ray released in Europe - which looks pretty awful. This new release has additional supplements, to the ones carried over from the previous blu-ray. Universal's 4K UHD releases haven't been hit-and-miss like Paramounts have been.
IMG_8713.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I love Monty Python and have bought this film many times over.

I just can't fathom, in this disc environment, that they are pouring a lot of money into remastering a title like this. So, for that reason, I am also skeptical about how much improvement will be seen in this 4k release.

Hope I am surprised

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I love Monty Python and have bought this film many times over.

I just can't fathom, in this disc environment, that they are pouring a lot of money into remastering a title like this. So, for that reason, I am also skeptical about how much improvement will be seen in this 4k release.

Hope I am surprised
Ron - have you watched the old blu-ray, projected, recently? I saw it with my son, after we saw Monty Python and The Holy Grail and Monty Python's Life Of Brian. Holy Grail had an excellent, fresh, Sony transfer, while the last two have very dated transfers, in comparison. They would absolutely benefit from updated scans. Cult movies for older fans sell well on 4K UHD. I'm betting this will sell nicely.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron - have you watched the old blu-ray, projected, recently? I saw it with my son, after we saw Monty Python and The Holy Grail and Monty Python's Life Of Brian. Holy Grail had an excellent, fresh, Sony transfer, while the last two have very dated transfers, in comparison. They would absolutely benefit from updated scans. Cult movies for older fans sell well on 4K UHD. I'm betting this will sell nicely.

Hey, Titch!

You hit upon the crux of the potential problem here...

If this were SONY releasing this 4k, there would be no argument that the transfer would be remastered and would look incredible. That's what SONY is known for. Same for WARNER.

But UNIVERSAL? That worries me.

No, have not seen this projected.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Not surprising that this would be first the Python to make it to 4k. Its owned by a major studio and not the Pythons themselves or a independent production company like Handmade.

Also Meaning of Life is much more suitable for 4k than Grail is just from a technical standpoint.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Hey, Titch!

You hit upon the crux of the potential problem here...

If this were SONY releasing this 4k, there would be no argument that the transfer would be remastered and would look incredible. That's what SONY is known for. Same for WARNER.

But UNIVERSAL? That worries me.

No, have not seen this projected.
After you wrote this, I went and had a quick look at the Universal 4K UHD titles in my library. On the whole, I would say Universal has a good track record. Do you have any examples of poor catalogue titles from them?

IMG_8716.jpeg

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
5+ years into the format it is evident that no studio does really care much for how good a movie can potentially look in UHD. In the case of Universal this means that instead of titles like Airport or Night Passage that both could look very good we get instead The Meaning of Life and Doom.

And this is from somebody who likes and owns The Meaning of Life, it just isn't a title that I expect to shine in UHD.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Nonetheless you should "Always Look On The Bright Side of 'Life!";)!*

*Song not included on this film... do not back up or severe tyre damage may result ... Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition
spanish time GIF
! ;)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
After you wrote this, I went and had a quick look at the Universal 4K UHD titles in my library. On the whole, I would say Universal has a good track record. Do you have any examples of poor catalogue titles from them?
All I can think of are the Bourne films, which I never bought because reviews pretty much all said the blu-rays were better.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
4K Meaning of Life pre-order available on Gruv.com (Universal on-line store) with free shipping and 20% discount (SIGNUP20, works for returning customers, too) for $16 plus tax

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe Uni can fix the phasing issue that’s plagued “Every Sperm is Sacred”.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks