What's new

Meredith George Memorial Family Theatre (1 Viewer)

Demetrius

Agent
Well the walls are going up. Things are moving pretty fast. I know that the theatre room will be coming up very soon. I have a pressing issue that needs to be resolved before next week. The design includes a a "Free Standing" Theatre that is insulated from the floor with several layers alternating between a Jute like material and a layer of plywood. I was told about this and it made sense to me but the time has come to order the material but I haven't been able to locate the pliable layer. Any thoughts? There are photos and a sketch of the floor plans @ www.sonta.org.

I am excited about the progress and a little aprehensive about the decisions that will have profound consequenses. I know there is going to be alot of work ahead. But, the final product will be so much fun!

Demetrius

Demetrius

Agent
Well the theatre walls (box) are going to be constructed on Thursday. The jute is on site and will placed between the main second story floor and the theater. It will start out as one inch thick but will a basically be compressed by the weight of the theatre. The purpose of the material is to absorb vibration generated by the theatre. I have designed the theatre to have a noise floor as low as possible with the available construction budget. Besides having a double wall with insulation there is a two foot access corridor all the way around the theatre to lower the noise inside the theatre even more.
More to come. I have a major conversion task tomorrow (JOB) at Johnson Space Center and need to do some other things right now. Keep tuned because things are moving fast!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Demetrius:

Sounds great to me and I would offer some advise but you seem to have more knowledge on this than I do for sure. Keep us posted on your progress. It should be great. BTW, feel free to post pictures in the gallery of your HT anytime.

Parker

Demetrius

Agent
Well there are pictures on the MGMFT website. I however added some to the gallery here on HTF. They are focused on the HT only. I am going to learn a lot on this project! I thought I had a good idea about the equipment that is going to adorn the "Kontrol Room". I am now trying to nail down the list but there are more options than I am really prepared to deal with. I am going to enjoy this.

Demetrius

Agent
The walls are up, the risers are built and the insulation has been ordered. The rest of the 2200 SqFt addition is really taking shape. I am considering using side-lit fibreoptic with the colorwheel in the furdown for extreme lighting ambiance. If anyone has experience with this type of lighting I would appriciate some input :)

Thanks

Demetrius

Agent
I just met with the electrician and the insulation workers. The electrical is ready for the inspection. All the lighting in the theater is going to be surface mounted, I don't want to create any weak spots in my acoustical envelope. I ended up with a ceiling that was not in my original plan. The theater was going to be a separate "BOX" but the ceiling is now part of the ceiling joists. I think that 2" of acoustic board insulation with R-30 on top of that should give me an adequate result considering all the other sound proofing that is already planned. The drywall is scheduled to begin Thursday (4 days from today). I have to get TV coax and phone in before Wednesday (maybe security pre-wire). I have a few things pressing but all in all things are just exciting! I am having a whole bunch of fun...

Stay tuned

Demetrius

Agent
WOW, I don't know where to begin. I spent all day wiring the downstairs for security. All the time my sister was helping deliver six puppies (the father is my dog :)). The insulation was being installed upstairs.

Theatre:
http://pub36.bravenet.com/photocente...num=3035261904

Outside of the House (second picture shows my window in the "Kontrol Room"

Anyway, I am lucky in that I don't have to do the sheetrock and the like. I need to order some wiring for the theatre. After the sheetrock is installed the cabinet contractor is going to build furdowns for the theatre which will be the "conduit" for all the wiring used in the theatre. The speakers will be fed the wires through the columns. The sconces will be powered using wiremold horizontally mounted. I purposely designed it this way to prevent any penetrations in the sheetrock to maximize the acoustic characteristics of the walls.

Demetrius

Agent
WOW, Long day yesrerday... I had to finish all wiring for security and distributed audio (apartment and lobby). Finished at midnight and had to be back at 6:30 a.m. to meet with the sheetrock guys to instruct/inform of ceiling penetrations. Well they said they would start and finish the sheetrock today!

Demetrius

Agent
The sheetrock is mostly complete and plans are moving forward. The lighting options are being formulated and I am looking into Leviton for the versitality. I haven't used either Leviton or Lutron, any thoughts? Here are my requirements:
1) Control by system remote
2) 8 scenes minimum
3) Whole house capable
4) Once programmed -end user friendly

Any thoughts???

Thanks

Demetrius

Agent
Paint should be complete today and the fixtures go in tonight. I still have some things to order, Like the amp, preamp/processor, projector, screen, DVD, lighting controller, and the theater seats! I am glad I am not in a hurry!

Demetrius

Agent
Haven't posted in a while. Lots of goings on but waiting on funding for the electronics... I did measure the noise criteria and without the final weatherstripping for the inner doors I have a 23 dB! I was hoping for under 20 db but after experiencing the current situation I am having a hard time believing a significantly quieter HT.

Demetrius

Agent
Mounted the Da-Lite electric screen today and also the projector. I will get the electric tied in Tuesday or Wednesday. After the screen is powered, I will finely tune the height of the PJ and tighten everything down. Speakers should be in the first of next week. I may be watching a movie on Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks