What's new

MARVEL is bringing four new live-action shows to Netflix leading to a "Defenders event" (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Marvel's Iron Fist" fills out remainder of series regular cast

David Wenham (the Lord of the Rings trilogy, 300, "Top of the Lake") will play Harold Meachum, who co-founded Rand Enterprises with Danny Rand's father.

Jessica Stroup (Kevin Bacon's niece on "The Following") will play Harold's daughter Joy. Tom Pelphrey (the sheriff's deputy/former white supremacist on "Banshee") will play Harold's son Ward.

They join the previously announced casting of Finn Jones as Danny Rand and Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing.

Jessica Jones season 2, however, is allegedly coming this November.
I would imagine we'd have heard a filming announcement for "Jessica Jones" Season 2 by now if it was coming in November. I think a lot of the same crew work on all of the Netflix Marvel series, so they're limited as to how much they can multitask.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I would imagine we'd have heard a filming announcement for "Jessica Jones" Season 2 by now if it was coming in November. I think a lot of the same crew work on all of the Netflix Marvel series, so they're limited as to how much they can multitask.

That's very true. My comment on JJ coming in November was based on an article I saw somewhere (EW?) and the hints on the JJ Facebook page. But it seems shooting is not scheduled to start until 2017:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-jessica-jones-storms-the-streets-of-new-york

I guess we can hope to see 3 Marvel Netflix series in 2017 (Iron Fist/Defenders/Jessica Jones)?

More (rumors?) on JJ Season 2: http://www.movienewsguide.com/marve...in-can-replace-kilgrave-netflix-series/195691

I do find it frustrating how little information we get about Netflix's shows and their plans. We never seem to know when to expect these shows.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm only up to episode 7 in season 2, but I think Bernthal has been great in the role so far.

I'm not much a fan of the Punisher, but Bernthal was terrific. No spoilers, but by the end of the season, he had you rooting for him.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great news. The announced showrunner, Steve Lightfoot, was with "Hannibal" since its excellent first season and has probably written more episodes of that show than anybody except Bryan Fuller.

It'll be interesting to see what cast of characters they surround him with. He really came out of the first season of "Daredevil" completely alone, so things are pretty wide open for where they want to take the character. As intrinsically tied as the character is to New York City, I wouldn't mind them taking a page from the Thomas Jane movie and telling a story in Miami or some other locale that's got a very different aesthetic. But, assuming the show is going to make use of the New York-based infrastructure already in place for the other Netflix/Marvel series, that might not be feasible.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Great news. The announced showrunner, Steve Lightfoot, was with "Hannibal" since its excellent first season and has probably written more episodes of that show than anybody except Bryan Fuller.

It'll be interesting to see what cast of characters they surround him with. He really came out of the first season of "Daredevil" completely alone, so things are pretty wide open for where they want to take the character. As intrinsically tied as the character is to New York City, I wouldn't mind them taking a page from the Thomas Jane movie and telling a story in Miami or some other locale that's got a very different aesthetic. But, assuming the show is going to make use of the New York-based infrastructure already in place for the other Netflix/Marvel series, that might not be feasible.

The few times I've read the Punisher comic, I know he had an older, pudgy tech guy who would also be his van driver occasionally. I think a two person dynamic would work pretty well; it'd leave time to develop a villian better, plus more crossovers with secondary characters, like Rosario Dawson.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That guy's name was Microchip. The disc that Frank took out was labeled "Micro." Hmm.

I think Frank killed MIcrochip in the comics 20 years ago, LOL.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
RS_Punisher_Series_Coming_RAB_02a.png

so is the defenders 1 bigger than the original 4

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Marvel's Luke Cage" Comic Con Teaser:

"Marvel's The Iron Fist" Comic Con First Look (with actual footage!):

"Marvel's The Defenders" Comic Con Teaser (with official logo!):

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Those teases look amazing. Love the music in each.

Also nice to hear Scott Glenn in the Defenders.

Can Netflix speed it up a bit? One show every six months is taking too long!

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I was surprised to see 'series' in the Defenders trailer. I thought it was simply going to be a Netflix movie, so now it makes sense on why JJ isn't coming sooner.

I guess my next question is - is it a series or a mini-series? How many episodes constitutes each? While I doubt that we'll get 10 episodes, could it be that we get 6, 1 hour episodes? That'd be quite an event!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I was surprised to see 'series' in the Defenders trailer. I thought it was simply going to be a Netflix movie, so now it makes sense on why JJ isn't coming sooner.

I guess my next question is - is it a series or a mini-series? How many episodes constitutes each? While I doubt that we'll get 10 episodes, could it be that we get 6, 1 hour episodes? That'd be quite an event!

Defenders will be 8 episodes.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Don't have the link handy, but Netflix Chief Content Officer says to expect Iron Fist and the Defenders in 2017, season two of Jessica Jones, season 3 of Daredevil and The Punisher in 2018.

EDIT: Here's the link:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...sica-jones-or-daredevil-until-2018-sadly.html

and a nice quote:
“We’re gonna try to make them quicker so we can get less downtime between them,” so perhaps after these next few premieres, we will start to see Netflix’s Marvel shows with increasing frequency.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for sharing, Sam. clicking through to the IGN store that Paste Magazine linked to, it definitely looks like were confirmed for:

Fall 2016: Luke Cage
Spring 2017: Iron Fist
Fall 2017: The Defenders
Spring 2018: Jessica Jones Season 2 (or Fall 2018)
Fall 2018: Daredevil Season 3 (or Spring 2018)

If they do pick up the pace a bit, then "Punisher" Season 1 would be a good bet for 2018 as well; otherwise it looks like it'll be pushed back to 2019.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Krysten Ritter has said that Defenders and season 2 of JJ will film back-to-back, so it's likely we will see JJ shortly after Defenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks