MARVEL is bringing four new live-action shows to Netflix leading to a "Defenders event"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sean Bryan, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    http://m.superherohype.com/news/articles/180201-marvel-and-netflix-team-on-four-series-leading-up-to-the-defenders
    So a Daredevil series, along with Luke Cage and others!Aren't Dr. Strange and the Hulk members of the Defenders? I'd be willing to bet they bring them in for the Defenders event. Wild. Pretty damn wild.

2. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    How can I edit the thread title?It should read "Defenders event". With an "s" and a closing quotation mark. Am I missing something in the editor because I'm on a mobile device?Oh, and live action not live actions. Jeeze I suck.Edit: Thanks for the fixes!

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    My post got lost. But wow, this is huge news. Daredevil in particular will do well as an episodic series, especially with the great cart of supporting characters. You know who would make a great Matt Murdock? Dan Stevens, the actor who played Mathew on Downton Abbey. The likeness is dead-on.And doing the deal with Netflix? Broadcast TV just went pfffffft.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Title edited as requested. :D

I'll check them out, I suppose...

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Still "actions." :)

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I'm disappointed that we're not getting an Agent Carter period-set series, but I'll definitely give these a try. The most encouraging thing is that they're going to be Netflix series. That strongly points to a much more serialized approach than the very episodic "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.".The Daredevil series is the most interesting project by far, but I'll be interested to see how they tackle Jessica Jones. Are they going to go for an origin story with a teenage Jessica Jones with the car accident and the whole bit, or are they going to start it out with her having been superpowered for a while and working as a hardened private investigator? And will she fly?EDIT: Whoops! Not sure what was going through my head there.

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    And will there be a crossover with Mad Men? :D

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I thought there was going to be a new Daredevil film. I guess not now.

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I wouldn't rule out a Daredevil film at some point in the distant future. But if so, it'll likely be a jump of the character established in the TV series to the movies. Though I wouldn't expect that for quite a while. image.jpg

10. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    I'd prefer a Doctor Strange movie before Daredevil.

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I think it's almost 100% guaranteed that Dr. Strange will be one of MARVEL's Phase 3 films. Feige has alluded to it many times.

12. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    Yup. I was just voicing my general dislike for Daredevil--and really all the "street level" heroes, including Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist is tolerable, but Cage and Jones have literally never been interesting, and are always poorly written (I like Bendis but even he can't save Jessica Jones from mediocrity).

13. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    Think Fox (and Elektra) has permanently stunk up the prospect of Disney ever doing another Daredevil movie, although that doesn't mean D/M doesn't own them, and we're glad they're back in the family again. It's just the principle of the thing.

And considering that their Luke Cage/Iron Fist movie was stuck in pre-planning limbo forever, it's a good way of getting ALL their nebulous projects out of memos and onto a more harmless medium than cluttering up the MCU Phase 2.
    As for whether Jessica will still be Power Woman...hey: It's still network TV. You tell me. :rolleyes:
    It's nothing "revolutionary", D/M's only making the deal with Netflix because A) Netflix wants to keep its House of Cards bragging rights, and B) Disney still has their "exclusive" deal with Netflix that lets us watch Mulan and Tinkerbell on streaming.

Broadcast TV already went pffffft when they made Skye the main character on Agents of SHIELD.

14. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    There's a nice interview with Bob Iger here:http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/movienewsandreviews/news/?a=89720A few good excerpts:

15. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    ^ So maybe Agent Carter will happen after all.

16. Adam Lenhardt

The Hollywood Reporter: Whedon Alum to Write, Run Disney's Netflix Drama 'Daredevil'I like this news in the sense that Drew Goddard's a good writer who has done a lot of work I like. But I wish they'd step out of the Whedon bullpen to bring some fresh and outside voices into the mix. I don't want the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe to become the Marvel Universe as interpreted exclusively by Mutant Enemy.

17. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    He wrote for Buffy, Angel, and LOST, right? Also wrote Cabin in the Woods, and is a big Daredevil fan. Seems like a solid choice.

18. Adam Lenhardt

I guess I should be careful what I wish for:Deadline: Twilight scribe Melissa Rosenberg To Write, Run Marvel’s Jessica Jones Series For NetflixOn the plus side, she was the head writer for the early, more critically acclaimed seasons of "Dexter". She also has superhero experience, having written for The WB's lackluster but watchable Batman spin-off "Birds of Prey".But counting against her, aside from five terrible Twilight screenplays, is "Red Widow". It was the first show she served as showrunner on, and it was absolutely awful.

19. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I have absolutely zero familiarity with the Jessica Jones character. Can anyone provide a brief summary on what this character is all about?

20. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I don't know much. She went to school with Peter Parker and had a secret crush on him (obviously, a complete retcon). She then developed some sort of superpowers (I think flight and strength), which she doesn't use much any more. She started a detective agency and later married Luke Cage, after which she mainly stayed around Avengers mansion looking after their kid. I think she's now out of the mansion and in the background to protect her kid from the Avengers' craziness.