What's new

Make a little noise about WARNER -- get some Press! You have been HEARD! (1 Viewer)

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I wasn't planning on buying either of these titles (Wonka, Cats and Dogs)unless I came into a big sum of money. However I was concerned that there would come a title that I'd like would be considered a "Family" title and that it would be Full-Frame or Pan and Scan. I'm basically exclusively OAR when I know that a widescreen version exists. For some smaller titles like Wish Upon a Star I don't know if it was original shot full frame so I have to put up with what's out there if I want the disc. I will not accept a Full frame version of a movie that was originally shot widescreen. Cats and Dogs was going to be a rental for me and will not even be that if an OAR version isn't released. If I wanted to watch Fullframe movies I'd watch them on TV.
M.
[Edited last by Mark McLeod on August 21, 2001 at 01:32 AM]

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I honestly wasn't going to but The Goonies(just didn't do it for me) but to show support for their OAR discs I'll be picking it up tomorrow at Wal-Mart(if they even carry it).
And Hi-Fives all around for the HTF. Man, I love this site.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Part of the reason we were so up-in-arms about Wonka and C&Ds is the fact that there's no niche-format anymore. Everyone, I mean everyone, has embraced DVD.
In the old days (not so long ago!), we didn't care if a movie was pan/scam only on VHS - since we had OAR on the laserdisc. Later on LDs began to be replaced with OAR DVDs. DVDs became popular, and Joe SixPack finally saw what widescreen was (even if he didn't understand why part of his picture was always black).
Now, you'd expect, several years later, that J6P knew about OAR and letterboxing - heck, even anamorphic. Not according to Warner's marketing computers. So instead of educating the masses with a simple quick information film on the benefits of widescreen (I saw one made by Fox about Star Wars in the early 90s and have been OAR since), they produce a pan/scam ONLY DVD.
Now the enthusiasts have no niche-format to turn to. HD-DVD ain't out yet. But Warner has clearly underestimated our strength, grown from the Internet itself (here's a thought: just how old is their marketing data?). We need OAR - it's that or nothing. Bring out Pan/Scam separately if needs be - but, as the slogan goes: NO OAR = NO SALE, and judging by the number of signatures from Wonka fans who signed Phong's petition, Warner has lost a lot of sales.

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if any of the more forward looking studios will take advantage of this opportunity to stick it to Warner. Dreamworks would be a good one to get a comment from supporting OAR for the article.

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
It's good stuff like this that makes us all proud of being members here.
------------------
My movies
HTF AFI Top 100 Challenge: 71 70 69 68 films remaining.
Next Up: The Sound of Music
The Price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Man, I just got home from work, and read this!
This is fantastic news!!!
I hope Warner Brothers gets a serious wake-up call!
Thanks to Ron, HTF, every member for voicing their opinions!!
Glad to be on here!
We can make a difference! :)
------------------

Calvin Cullen

Stunt Coordinator
Why is MGM being lumped in with AOL/Warner? I realize they've had problems in the past with their catalogue releases. But have they done something recently to deserve being accused of "catering to the six-pack crowd"?

Paul Brookfield

Auditioning
This is great stuff.
I wasn't part of the DivX saga. But cropping movies just for a few adults who don't understand OAR is terrible.
P&S isn't the way to go. OAR is.
Normal people will purchase OAR. We won't purchase P&S. Period.

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
Such wonderful news to hear first thing in the morning. I was one of the many who emailed Warner, signed the petition, and sent them snail-mail. It's marvelous to hear that our efforts are being noticed.
While we've certainly not yet won the war, I do think we're on our way. The "six-pack" crowd will likely remain uneducated throughout all this publicity--though it's likely that some people will learn a thing or two about original aspect ratios and anamorphic presentations. However, I do hope that the bad publicity at least makes the general non-enthusiast public aware that there's something "wrong" with Warner Brothers' (and some of MGM's) DVDs and they'll refrain from buying them--even if they don't quite understand the issue.
The studios can educate the general public. Hopefully, putting the spotlight on this issue will encourage studios to keep their established consumer base happy and not take shortcuts when trying to establish new markets.
-Jerry

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I have to agree with every thing here. When I heard about this coming out to DVD again, I was a very happy camper. Now it feels like I had my tent set on fire, while I was still in it.
One favor from y'all. Could someone post the links to all of the petitions? I haven't seen any. I would be more then willing to sign my name to them. And, I am sure my fiance would also sign her name to them.
We have to stop this before other people get the idea that this is ok.

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
Nice work Ron, Warner should be boycotted until they provide films the way they were intended to be seen.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, thanks for such wonderful news. This just shows that if you're passionate, persistent, polite, & RIGHT!!!!, you can make a difference and prevail. Please keep us all apprised of the situation. And if we need to mobilize once again, we're always on guard.
Keep fighting the good fight everyday. HTF rocks. There's no place I would rather be.
------------------
DTS Laser Disc. Size Does Matter

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Why is MGM being lumped in with AOL/Warner? I realize they've had problems in the past with their catalogue releases. But have they done something recently to deserve being accused of "catering to the six-pack crowd"?
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Secret of NIHM.
Not the most recent DVDs, but they haven't offered to re-release these (and other) P/S discs as new WS DVDs. Secret of NIHM was even re-released in P/S for a second run.
-dave

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
As a certain ex-Jedi said once - " Impressive....Most impressive..." .
Lets keep the pressure on, because not only does this get the point across to Warner - I'm pretty sure that all the other studios are looking at this situtation. Maybe for a variety of different reasons, but looking nonetheless.
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
...and there was much rejoicing...(yayyyy!!!!)
------------------
"Fearless Freep?! That's mmma boy!"
[Edited last by Keith Paynter on August 21, 2001 at 11:59 AM]

M

MaxY

Well I think this is a huge Step in the right direction.
Something like this needs an HTF to kick it off.
I personally think we would do better to boycott all Warner DVDs until they fix things.
I hope that all the other online internet Sites start a Boycott of Warner Product or at least these titles and get pretty Vocal about it.
We need to band together on this because as a group we can be a force.
Can you imagine If the 20,000 Members here all stopped buying Warner DVDs and tried to convince their friends to follow suit.
That would be much more then just the loss of 40,000 DVDs (2 titles x 20,000). If we started buying nothing from them it would really add up quick so...
Don't Buy Any Warner DVDs at ALL until they say we are sorry and will release widescreen versions of all DVD titles
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Don't Buy Warner Product Until they Support OAR for Everything

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks