What's new

Make a little noise about WARNER -- get some Press! You have been HEARD! (1 Viewer)

M

MaxY

Carl,
The reason why not to buy any is to increase pressure on WB. Buying just their Widescreen titles says that what they are doing is OK and they can continue to screw you on the ones they feel like without it affecting the rest of their sales.
They Already know what we want, we don't need to send them a mesg about what is the right way and what is the wrong way we need to send them a mesg that their will be financial reprecussions from their actions.
I am sorry if you are not strong enough to hold back on Buying Warner titles or you feel it is too much of a sacrifce but I think that is what they count on.
If their Sales hit a skidding slowdown it will not go un-noticed.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Don't Buy Warner Product Until they Support OAR for Everything

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great work guys!!
I've been slamming Warner for their lack of concern over their DVD product for some time now. I'm glad to see that a DVD was finally released that got the attention of the DVD community. I only wish this would have happened sooner.
Now if we could only get Warner's attention on such other matters such as all the other full frame DVDs they have released, lack of interest in their classic titles, failure to disclose full specs on their releases in a timely fashion, etc.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I'd love for WB to redo some, if not all, of their "budget" full-frame titles. I'd love to go to a store and buy an anamorphic widescreen copy of Spies Like Us one day.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
In a laser disc topic elsewhere, people recall how wonderful it was when MGM had control over the Turner library, and as a result waves of classic pre-1950 titles awere routinely released. THIS is what I miss with DVD, despite other great titles coming out. Beyond this OAR business, this lack of catalog titles is where WB marketing needs to wake up--initiate a "WB Classic" (or whatever) label, and make these films available again....and many do NOT need expensive restoration.
[Edited last by BarryR on August 22, 2001 at 08:56 AM]

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im so proud!! *wipes away tear* I Love the HTF! Ron your site rules! Im still somewhat of a newbie but im really happy to be a part of a community like this. :)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I'm with Max here 100%. Buying WB's OAR product and skipping their MAR product accomplishes nothing except to justify their company policy. They already aren't expecting us to buy MARred discs; that's already figured into their marketing projections.
Be strong. I want Goonies, too. But Richard Donner is not going to have to live in a refrigetaror box if I delay my purchase of the disc until WB recants.
I am planning to boycott WB until I am convinced that this practice of MARring "Family" films is ended.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I too, agree with, and have implemented the full wb boycott.
"We're not interested in holding onto anything, except the enemy. We're gonna hold him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the ass! We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose!"
George C. Scott - Patton
I think I got that mostly right :)
------------------

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations to Phong.
And a special thanks to Ron and Parker for having conceived an Internet forum that would provide a voice to the home-theater community that is loud yet civil--and, most of all, that gets results when controversies such as these arise.
This is a victory. Now let us all be gracious winners.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I don't understand why some people want to "boycott" ALL Warner products
Personally, I'm punishing them. If all they care about is their bottom line, then that's what I'm going to do my part in effecting. They obviously don't care about their role as curators of these films, so I'll hit 'em where it hurts.
It actually makes DVD shopping a whole lot easier... when I'm standing there with three DVDs in my hand trying to decide which one to buy, I can now elimiate the Warner ones right off the bat.
-Steve

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Additional comment, re boycotting all Warner titles. My spirit is with the quest, but, man, there is a certain title now distributed by Warner that would have been most difficult for me to eschew. Glad it came out before this imbroglio erupted. ...
------------------
2001-a.jpg

David Oliver

Second Unit
Well here is an bit from the review of the Willy Wonka DVD in Entertainment Weekly by Marc Bernardin
...Sadly, this 30th-anniversery DVD isn't quite the kid-in-a-candystore experience it should have been. Even though the remastered image is better than any rental tape, it's a shameful full-screen transfer; it would have been great to see director Mel Stuart's chockful-of-color compositions as he intended....

Overall he gives the DVD a B rating, almost exclusively due to the actual movie itself and not the DVD presentation.

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
Permission granted, as long as I feel that my son's image is not being exploited (and I get to be the judge of what "exploited" means). Is that fair enough? You now have my express permission to "exploit" this picture for means of promoting OAR enjoyment among families (and if you somehow create income with this picture, be fair and share it with him, okay? I'll put it in a trust fund or something).
This picture needs to be a in the form of a decal on all DVDs sold with the statement- "There is nothing wrong with your DVD, do not adjust your set...This is the way the movie is meant to be watched...Enjoy"
My 2 and half yr old likes to watch: Mighty Joe Young, Home Alone 2, The Iron Giant, Bug's Life, Toy Story 1/2, Aristocats, Chicken Run, 101 Dalmations, Dinosaur, Prince of Egypt, Tarzan, Rugrats, and Rugrats in Paris...to name a few :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The Goonies is the last Warner title I have bought and will ever buy until they relent in this madness of theirs. I also have intsructed my family and friends to do the same, they agreed.
I said this earlier in this thread, but just wanted to refresh Warners memory.
------------------
Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
---there is a certain title now distributed by Warner that would have been most difficult for me to eschew.---
Uhhh..that wouldn't be 2001: A Space Odyssey, by any chance...would it? :)
------------------

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that Warner is making their decision to do pan&scan for these films is based on the fact that most people have 4:3 t.v. sets and the t.v. manufacturers keep pumping them out.I believe its a dual responsibility of both the t.v. manufacturers and the studios to educate and give the public what they really do want but just dont know it.Movies on DVD in their OAR.IMHO.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This reminded me of when I was in Target looking at their DVDs. A son (around 18) and his father came in and picked up a copy of Gladiator. Upon noticing the Widescreen banner on the DVD, the put it back on the shelf commenting that they couldn't play it because they didn't have a widescreen TV.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)
WidescreenSupport.jpg

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
I can only think of one dvd I own that isn't OAR and that's Transformers the movie (If the infamous w/s ever existed that is). The only reason for that is because Rhino loooked for the OAR print and couldnt get one.
Warner is a HUGE company and have OAR and choose not to use it, so be it. I choose not to buy it in that case. Same goes for any other company who don't provide OAR without a decent reason.
NO OAR, NO SALE
------------------
Thanks,
Paul O'Donnell [email protected]
Link Removed

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I caught My Fair Lady on AMC last night (OAR) and came up with this...I know, don't quit my day job
biggrin.gif

Film Fan 1
Why can't Warner be more like a fan
Fans are so honest, and don’t want their movies square
Eternally noble, historically fair
Who when you do it right will always give your back a pat
Why can't Warner be like that
Why doesn’t Warner do what the others do
Can't a studio learn to use it’s head
Why do they do something no others do
Why don't they release both versions instead
Why can't Warner take after a fan
Fans are so pleasant, so easy to please
Whenever you're with them, you're always at ease
Would you be slighted if I watched a movie for hours
Film Fan 2
Of course not
Film Fan 1
Would you be livid if I made an upgrade or two
Film Fan 2
Nonsense
Film Fan 1
Would you be wounded if I only bought OAR
Film Fan 2
Never
Film Fan 1
Why can't Warner be like you
[Edited last by BrettB on August 23, 2001 at 10:52 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks