What's new

Lsi-9's (1 Viewer)

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
Through my accomodations at Circuit city, I can obtain a pair of polk LSi-9 speakers for $410 shipped. Did a lot of searches on this forum, and found that this is a spectacular deal. But now I am not sure if I have the proper equipment. I am just an audiophile 16 year old kid right now with some spare cash from working too damn much.

equipment right now

reciever is Harmon Kardon AVR130

A sony dvd player I got for a $149 a year ago. (using digital coax for connection)

- 1 year old pair of Bose 301's (which I plan on replacing)
- infinity alpha center (something nice during movies)
- some older bose speakers for surrounds

keep in mind this is mainly for music, and I know mixing the speaker brands isnt very good, but I just normally do stereo listning

Using a 12" rca sub i got from radio shack for like 100 dollars a year ago. (doing a DIY subwoofer with an 11cubic foot box tuned to 20hz using a 15" resonant engineering HC)

I am pretty sure using this equipment would def not be using those lsi9's to their full potential. I just bought the receiever, and keep in mind I only make about 300 worth of spending money every month (but don't really want to spend ALL that towards audio gear)

How would the lsi-9s sound with just this equipment in comparison to my bose 301's? Or what else should I buy (within a 300-400 price range) to make the lsi-9s sound better? (like power amp)

Huy T

Auditioning
The lsi-9s' Nominal Impedance is 4 ohms, your Harmon Kardon AVR130 will not handle it well, and you will occasionally experience temporary shut down of the receiver . I suggest you to either get a receiver or a power amplifier that can handle 4 ohms load. Or you can get the rti8s for $300 through your accomodations at Circuit City.

Paul_J_D

Auditioning
I own both the LSi 9's and the 15's. The 9's do respond very favorably to amplification rated for 4 ohms. I have run them with good results on NAD C270, Rotel RB 1070, and B&K ST125.2 amps. You can also look into Outlaw amps.

The NAD power amps are nice budget amps and have good sound for the price. If your H/K has preouts you can try this combo out. Check out Yawaonline as they are a factory authorized NAD dealer.

Can you return the H/K receiver? NAD and Rotel make receivers that can handle 4 ohm loads nicely but those might be a little out of your price range.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
The 9's are a phenominal speaker if provided with the right amplification. If your receiver has preouts you could add a seperate amp and bring those 9's to life.

Placement and toe-in are critical with the 9's. Don't be shy about moving them around and trying various amounts of toe-in. Try setting them up spaced the same distance from each other as they are from your listening position (equalateral triangle). Aim them both at the same point and enjoy!

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds excellent, any other factors I should put into consideration to help improve sound from them considering my equipment, or is placement and better amplification the best route to go?

Also is $450 dollars for a good amp for these as cheap as it gets? keep in mind I am just a kid who wants some excellent sound (limited budget)

Would a Crown XLS202 work well on it, or would it be craving higher quality power?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I'm not familiar with Crown amps so I really cant say yea or nay. You might want to try a pair of Outlaw mono blocks.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
What Frank said.
Besides placement and good amplification,there isn't much to be done maybe room treatment,which I wouldn't worry about right now,if I were you.First stop, get a descent amp.

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome, I checked out the outlaw m-block amplifier. looks sweet. saw it does 8 ohm and 4 ohm, but somewhere it said it can even handle down to 2 ohms.

I know you can do this with subs, but I never thought about it for speakers. Could i just wire the polks into series so the amp gets an 8ohm load (100 watts each. But subs are mono, So I don't know if it will work with that. maybe just a stupid idea

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
I just dont think I can afford something like that right now. I can do the speakers.. but is their not a 200-300 dollar amplifier I can buy for them. How much of a difference am I looking at from just powering them from my reciever, then with a new amplifier?

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Buy the speakers and get the amp when you can afford it. You might find it'll be ok with 130 as long as you don't push it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks