What's new

Lost season 3 discussion.... (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I haven't had any problems with the first three seasons of Lost. The only time I was a bit uneasy was when I put in the first episode from Season Three (I had just purchased a code-free DVD player), and the aspect ratio had to be adjusted. For a brief moment, I thought I was going to have to watch fullscreen distortion on our 57" television.

This series really does pack some excellent (and lengthy) special features in its sets. On another Board, I have written several posts on each of the episodes from the first three seasons. I won't do that here, but just this once, I thought I'd post the nicknames list that I have compiled (with the help of my daughter) since I began watching the series, as well as a short write-up on my impressions of an episode I watched tonight. :)

Tonight, we watched an awesome episode, entitled Tricia Tanaka Is Dead. This one featured a Hurley flashback, and in it he tries to 'break the curse' every which way he can. It was kind of neat seeing his 'father,' played by Cheech Marin.

I loved hearing Shambala (Three Dog Night) both in the flashback and then again shortly after Hurley and Charlie barreled down the mountain. One of the poignant aspects of the episode for me was how the music of Shambala meshed seamlessly into the fabric of the orchestrated score (and in the same key) after the Three Dog Night version had ceased. The string work was particularly compelling.

I have to admit, it was a hoot seeing them barreling down the hill, too. Long live Skeletor!

Other story lines in this one concerned Kate planning to rescue Jack (she ends up meeting both Sayid and Locke on her journey); eventually the three of them (after some shots are heard) meet up with Danielle, who appeared to be motivated to help out once she was told that Alex is alive and well. Another had to do with Sun teaching Jin some English. Sawyer sure did love finding a ton of beer in the van. I felt a bit of melancholy when Sawyer and Kate first are reunited with the gang. It seemed like Kate was welcomed with open arms, whereas Sawyer was not. I'm not saying it was undeserved, just that it hit me kind of hard. Good writing, however.

Speaking of Sawyer, before the episode began, I went and got my notepad ready for some nicknames, even though I figured that there wouldn't be too many since this was a major Hurley story. This episode ended up featuring the most nicknames I could recall for one episode. I counted ten in all.

Nicknames update (all names are given by Sawyer unless otherwise noted). New (and corrected) names are in boldface:

Sheena, Underdog, Lollipop, Sally Slingshot = Alex
Ponce de Leon, Rambina, Cupcake, Ana Lulu, Hot Lips, Xena, Little Red Riding Hood, Lucy, Muchacha, A.L. (from Big Mike) = Ana-Lucia
Norma Rae (Bernard)
Bonehead (from Shannon), Captain America (from Shannon) = Boone
Chachi, Chachi, Bobby (Brady) = Carl
Missy Claire, Cute Blonde (from Hurley), Mama Sia (Sawyer) = Claire
Turniphead = Aaron (Claire's baby)
Dimples = (Sawyer's girlfriend Cassidy)
VH1-has been, Tatoo, Babynapper, Munchkin, Oliver Twist, Jiminy Cricket = Charlie
French chick = Danielle Rousseau
Chinatown, Broken-nosed man, Blockhead = Danny.
Desmondo (from Kelvin), Desi (from Charlie), Des (from Penny) = Desmond
George, Dr. Bunnykiller = Henry/Ben Limus.
Lardo, Porkpie, Stay Puff, Pillsbury, Hoss, Jabba, Jethro, Barbar, Mongo, Deep Dish, Rerun = Hurley; Chuckleheads (from Starla) = Hurley and Hurley's friend; Huggy Bear (from Hurley's friend); Mutton Chops, Snuffy, Esai, International House of Pancakes, Jumbo Tron = Hurley
Great Hero, Hoss, Metro, Jacko, Dr. Do-Right, Amarillo Slim, Cool Hand, Dr. Giggles, Doc, Mr. Ha Ha (from Hurley), Daniel Boone = Jack
Mr. Miyagi, Kato, Sulu, Bruce, Papa Sun, Jimbo = Jin
Sweetheart, Freckles, Cupcake, Mighty Huntress, Pudding, Sasafras, Pippi Longstocking, Sweet Cheeks, Princess (from Arzt), Sheena, Thelma, Shortcake, Magellan = Kate
Moonbeam = Libby
Daniel Boone, Mr. Clean, Great Warrior, Great White Hunter, Boxman (from Desmond), Hoss, Brutus, I've Got a Crutch = Locke
Johnny Fever (from Hurley) = Martial
Han, Hoss, Great Ape, Chief = Michael
Shaft, Mr. Ed = Mr. Eco
Mergatroid = Munson.
Skeletor = Roger "Workman"
Tex (from pool hall guy), James Ford, Chewy (from Jin), Daddy-O, Cowboy (from Ana-Lucia), Big Bad Wolf, Father knows best (from Sawyer), Red Neck Man (from Hurley) = Sawyer
Goo-goo Ga-ga = Sawyer's daughter.
Chief, Abdul, Captain Falafel, Omar, Mohammed, Chico, Ali, El Jezeera, Red Beret, Captain Arab, Abdul (from interrogator) = Sayid
Sticks, Sweet Cheeks, Princess (from Boone) = Shannon
Sunshine, Tokyo Rose, Betty = Sun
Zeke = Tom (of the 'Others')
Tatoo, Chewy, Short-Round, Kazoo = Walt

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
:emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks. I've seen every episode up to this point at least twice. Still, I may have missed a few nicknames.

It was challenging with the episode I watched last night. At one point, I couldn't keep up with Sawyer. He rattled off about four in three sentences.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yeah, I just cut-and-pasted that from another Board on which I post. I haven't got all of the nicknames completed from Season Three yet, even though I've seen all of the episodes. My daughter helps out, and she is currently at Tricia Tanaka Is Dead.

Speaking of music, I really loved Wash Away (J. Purdy) from Tabula Rasa. It convinced me that I must purchase that album (Julie Blue). And the accompanying visual imagery while we hear that song is quite complimentary, isn't it? I love the slow motion camera work. Then we cut to Locke, and since it's only the third episode of the series at that point, we really don't know what to make of him. TPTB convinced me at that point to believe he was up to no good. I'll never forget the day when I first learned that he had been paralyzed, and then was not--astounding. It 'got me' right where I believe the writers wanted it to--very effective!

This may seem a bit odd to some, but our children actually play Lost on our land. Our eldest daughter (13) dresses as Ana Lucia (complete with toy guns and knives), and has actually begun to dig a pit. And how she wishes we had a Hatch to visit. We don't have a Hatch, but we do have a huge wooden cover under which I just had to place 4 8 15 16 23 42 on a piece of paper (unbenounced to her) one time for her eventually to find. :laugh:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

add to that from tonights ep of jimmy kimmel, as he appeared on the lost set.

sawyer called him doughboy after kimmel tried to get some bug spray from sawyer.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I thought the commentary pop-ups were great. There were a number of nice humorous bits and easter eggs pointed out.

The Easter Eggs I remember were that Bernard has a relative at the hospital and the Funeral Parlor was an anagram for Flash Forward. Surprisingly (?) there was no comment about Jack telling the head to contact his father and also there was no commentary during the final scene encounter of Jack and Kate. I think they mentioned that the "song" that Charlie was making up was written by the actor. There were a few points where I need to go back and see again. Anyway, it was nice an got me royally psyched up for tonight.

Neil

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't a closed caption track. The information just popped up on the very bottom of the screeen as the episode went along. If you just wanted to see the episode, I can see how it would be annoying but the subtitles were the only reason that I watched the episode on TV again.

The one that made me laugh was one of the first ones that said 'This is a flashforward'. I guess they assumed that everyone had seen it before. :)

EDIT: I was surprised they didn't point out the audio cameos of Damon Lindelof (as the plane captain) and Carlton Cuse (as a TV announcer) during it.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Since I saw the season 3 finale last year, I thought the pop-ups were great. They pointed out a lot of things I may have missed the first time around and made me watch a repeat from beginning to end. Nice move on ABC's part. The thought the text commentary on the various Star Trek movies were the best extra on the DVDs. Glad to see it work on the air for "Lost".

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I see Travis. Well that doesn't sound too bad for those who have seen it before.

I thought that was a great feature as well. Popup video style facts. The Seinfeld DVDs have that as well.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
It sure did take some time finding this thread. I posted this in another thread, but it has some relevance to this thread.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Two days ago, the transmission went on our Suburban. Thankfully, the transmission had enough left to get it to our mechanic. He has hundreds of cars on his lot, and one of them has a replacement transmission for our Suburban.

To hold us over while the Suburban is being repaired, we bought a 1988 Beauville (twelve-passenger) van from him. It has 135,000 miles on it, new tires, a rebuilt transmission, and an engine with less than 10,000 miles on it. He sold it to us for $800. Although the van is not from the 1970s, I could not help but think of the Lost episode, Tricia Tenaka Is Dead, in which Hurley (with Vincent's help) finds the van from the 1970s on the island. All I need now is my tape of Shambala. ;)

BTW, our van looks much better than this one, but one of the colors is the same (blue).

Once the Suburban is fixed, we'll have two cars, which we bought for a total of $1,300.

It was fun watching Tricia Tenaka Is Dead last night. It's one of our family's favorites. I may have mentioned this several months ago, but I really do appreciate how the tune sung by Three Dog Night segues very nicely into an orchestral arrangement of the same tune (and in the same key). It's one of those more poignant moments in the series, where the music and the cinematography seem to come together quite nicely. I'd say it's nearly as effective as when the gang has some of those reunion moments, and the film is slowed enabling us to take in all of the nuances of the characters as they realize that those whom have been gone for a while are now back.

[N.B.: Although not a reunion scene, Tabula Rasa has another of these wonderfully-filmed sequences. Someone knows how to get this viewer's attention. Wash Away, and the accompanying visuals, really worked well during the conclusion of the episode.]

Did anyone notice the somewhat subtle choice of names that Kate and Sawyer used at first in the episode, and then -- when their anger toward one another was kindled -- how they switched to the other names due to their heightened emotional state? 'Freckles' and 'James' were used until they parted company, at which point Kate called him 'Sawyer,' and Sawyer answered with 'Kate'?

I haven't seen Season Four in the stores yet, which I find kind of surprising. But I will probably order it online--if I can wait that long. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks