What's new

Let's talk college football! (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
You mean like the year Charles Woodson won the Heisman over Peyton Manning?
You are right. Woodson did nothing to earn the Heisman. He had a substandard season and didn't effect the outcome of even a single game. Not even a solitary outstanding defensive play, nothing special on offense, nor any special team highlights. :rolleyes:
Manning's career was great. Woodson's season was spectacular. Woodson did it all, from playing receiver to returning kicks to shutting down some of the best receivers in the nation. If the Heisman was an award given for performance over an entire career, Manning would be the obvious choice. However, the Heisman is awarded based on the seasons performance.
Paul - great post from the redneck Tide fan! I would love to see this guy push his way to the front of the line in East Lansing (MSU). The folks in Ann Arbor might be passive enough to put up with it, but the rowdies in East Lansing would eat this guy for lunch!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I hate bandwagon fans as well. However, the greatest rule anybody can break is going to a school, and cheering for the opposition. For example, we have several U.K. students who are North Carolina Basketball fans. What kind of crap is that?

Go ahead, make that argument that you only go to school for the education. But the fact of the matter is, you should always support your alma mater. It's like going to Michigan, but you're a Spartan fan. Can I get an amen in here?

As far as the largest bandwagon fanbase, my vote goes for Florida State University and Notre Dame. Every state has fans for these two for some reason.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Go Buckeyes and the Big Ten. IMO, the Big Ten has the most tradition and rates right up there with the best conferences. With a new Buckeye coach going up to Ann Arbor and beating Michigan last year and having the 2nd ranked incoming recruiting class, the excitement is back in Columbus. With the SEC seemingly being the most investigated conference, is any team on probation this year? :D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Dome, I graduated from Florida State. The last thing I want is bandwagon fans, and I have no idea how or why we acquire them. On the other hand, I don't want people hating my school because they are on the "anti-bandwagon".

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Trust me, as a Georgia fan I've been suffering ever since the early 80's.
Suffering??! You have a winning record and go to a bowl every year. I'm a Missouri Tigers (the REAL Tigers!) alum and fan, Todd you don't know the meaning of suffering. :D
My most optimistic hope is 6-6. Out of our 12 opponents, 8 had winning records and went to bowls, so to go 6-6, we'd have to pull off 2 upsets. The conference rotation screwed us this year, we lost Baylor and Oklahoma St. and had them replaced by Texas A&M and Oklahoma!!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
The facts are that Manning had a Heisman year. Woodson had Heisman games, which were aired on ABC. Most of his 'spectacular' plays were aired over and over and over on ESPN. It was pretty obvious who was being given the push for the Heisman in the later games of the year.
P.Manning's Season: 287-477-11, 3,819 yards, 36 TDs, 60.2% completion percentage
C.Woodson's Season: 42 tackles, 1 sack, 7 INT
Of course, me being a UT fan and my opposition here being Wolverine fans, it's hard to look past our biases. However, I think nowadays Manning would be picked over Woodson in the NFL. Heck, when Woodson hits guys making them fumble, it's ruled an "incomplete pass". :rolleyes:;)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
However, I think nowadays Manning would be picked over Woodson in the NFL.
Uhhh, John, I believe Manning was selected over Woodson in the draft! Wasn't Manning the first pick and Woodson was the fourth? And, yes, even today I would pick a top tier QB over a top tier CB :)

James L White

Supporting Actor
I'm still waiting for a Duke football fan to show their face in here,:D I know I wouldn't if my team sucked so bad.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Also:
Receiving: 11/231, 2 TD
Punt returns: 33/283, 1 TD, LG 78
Rushing: 3/15, 1 TD
Passing: 1/1 28 (100% completion pct ;))
Tackles for loss: 4/22
Not all stellar numbers, but he came up huge in the big games that enabled his team to win the NC.
What better time for a (primarily) defensive player to break through?

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Nobody made more plays that year than Charles Woodson.....nobody.

The man had 7 int's! How that man still was able to grab 7 picks is amazing, how many times a game do you think a team would trow that way? It wasn't even about int's, that man was just incedible, I can't begine to tell you how awesome that man was that year.

John, how can you sit there and say that the media was pushing for Woodson? You are completely bias if you didn't think the media was ALL OVER Manning that year, but even they could not stop Charles Woodsons' push. BTW, Woodson had many Heisman games which equals a Heisman season.

Of course the news will replay shots of him leaping high in the air to get a one handed int against MSU. Of course they will show him set up a TD with a rec, return a punt for a TD, and pick off a pass in the endzone to save a TD against Michigan's biggest rival Ohio State.

I am a Wolverine fan but I am not biased, I think Nebraska would of beat Michigan that year.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Woodson had 7 INTs when *hardly anyone threw in his direction*! If they tried more often, he might have had 15!
Look, I'm a Manning fan (respect the heck out of him on and off the field) and a Woodson fan (Raiders are my fave NFL team), but I vividly remember that season because I'm a die hard UCLA fan (and PAC-10 fan) and no one impressed me more than Woodson did that year. I remember the talk around campus was that they would give it to Manning but most people felt Woodson deserved it.
What impresses me about Woodson is that he's no prima-donna Deion "I Can't Tackle" Sanders type cover corner. Woodson is an excellent cover man but he'll also help on run support, blitzes, etc. and if the receiver he's covering actually does catch the ball, he'll put a lickin' on him.
Oh, and then all the stats that Jim_F posted too. :)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
[quoteI am a Wolverine fan but I am not biased[/quote]
:laugh:
Anyhow, I can see that this is going nowhere. It's subjective and up to opinion. What isn't is the fact that the SEC sets all kinds of attendance records and is tops year in and year out. Like I said, it's a totally unique experience. Other conference games that I've been to really don't hold a candle to what the SEC offers. And that's true too; I may be an SEC fan...but I'm not biased. :D

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Of course it sounds bad John when you take out a huge part of the sentence.
Don't try and change the subject now and bring up attendance in the SEC.:)
Or....
Seemingly
Everyone
Cheats

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So anyone else think that Oregon should have been in the national championship game last year? ;)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Maybe, but Michigan was undefeated. Despite their record, Nebraska was caught on tape losing to Mizzou. Not only was the ball kicked, it touched grass before the receiver squeezed it.:D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, I'll be taking a Duke grad friend of mine to the FSU-Duke game in Tallahassee this year, since he's never been to a Seminoles game.

But even he admits that the football team is the price they have to pay (in karma) for the success of their basketball team.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks