What's new

Let's talk college football! (1 Viewer)

Jim_F

Screenwriter

I couldn't agree more. Of course, at the college level sometimes players improve by leaps and bounds from one season to the next. Too bad the Wolverines would need that kind of improvement at a lot of offensive positions in order to be a legitimate top 5 team.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I disagree with Kipers article. I find it hard to believe that Auburn was not on his list of "Best Atmosphere". He obviously has never been to an Auburn game. I've also been to many other SEC stadiums and campuses and Auburn has by far the prettiest campus.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I'll agree with Todd, the SEC East is UGAs to win. UT just has too tough a schedule (though the OOC teams don't count, I look for them to seriously affect the team via morale and injuries), and UF will have a down year just from the change of scheme and loss to the NFL.

I'll be rooting for the Dawgs in every game except one... on Nov 30, its payback time.

For all the marbles, I like Oklahoma if they can wake up their offense. Miami has a good shot as well, but if they have too many losses I think the computers are going to turn against them again.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
As far as I can remember, UGA is *always* suppose to be good, but they never meet expectations.
That was back when he had Ray Goof and Jim Dumbone as head coaches. I think Richt will finally get us over the hump.
And if not we'll keep saying we're going to be good and hope it becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy! :D
BTW, when are you Auburn guys gonna settle on a mascot? Is it a Tiger or an Eagle? For the love of God make up your minds! :)

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a Gator (1989) and grew up in Jacksonville, so as much as it hurts to say it....Georgia does look like the team to beat in the SEC East. Florida certainly has the talent, but is an untested commodity with the new staff. Mr. Spurrier is not someone that can easily be replaced......:frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
UCLA Bruin alum and fan here!

But we lost a boatload of seniors last year...and will especially miss DeShaun "If I Didn't Drive Someone Else's SUV I Would Have Been The Best Running Back In The Country" Foster and Robert "I Have Signed a Long Term NFL Contract With The Rams" Thomas.

Oh and our returning QB Cory "2 DUI's" Paus is...back. Maybe one of the freshman will take the job from him.

Oh well, at least our season tixs are in a good location.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Scott: Its nice to see a Gator fan who actually graduated from the University of Florida. I'm used to all the obnoxious fans who have never even gone there who have jumped on the Florida bandwagon since the early 90's.

The same goes with Alabama fans, I would say about 80% of them never even went to Alabama.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
That Auburn link uses Alabama logic when using the "Roll Tide" comparison.

"Alabama Roll Tides" is like saying "Florida State Go Noles" according to them, or "University of Florida Go Gators". Faulty comparison, because Tide is just a shortend version of "Crimson Tide".

Besides, according to what I saw in an interview on TV with some Auburn higher-up (can't remember who, maybe the University president), War Eagles, Tigers and Plainsmen are all NICKNAMES. So don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Oh, yeah, one more thing...you Auburn people are wimps for backing out of that game with us in 1999. Was really looking forward to that spanking. On the other hand, LaTech ended with higher BCS numbers, so maybe we should thank you for backing out instead.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Bandwagon fans are worse than alumni fans, no matter how much you hate the other team.

Last year at the FSU-Miami game, I was in the FSU students section and a row in front of us there was a guy in a Miami jersey (complete with his big gold-plated heavy chain around his neck). We were wondering why the hell a Miami fan would be so stupid as to sit in the students section. Anyway, we asked him.

And he said, "I don't go to Miami, I go to TCC."

TCC is Tallahassee Community College. That's where people across the state of Florida go when they can't get into FSU or FAMU. (Santa Fe CC is the same way for UF).

Anyway, we just couldn't stop laughing at the guy, even though we did lose the game.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Paul, who cares if someone never went to the school they love, are they less of a fan than a person who graduated from that school? Or are you commenting more on the people who will rub it in the face of another school showing no respect?

I never have been to the University Of Michigan but I am a die hard Wolverine fan.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I'll tell you one thing Posted by: Bamaboy Tue 7/18/00 12:08pm I am looking forward to the games this year but I do not want any problems. Whenever I go to an away game or a visiting team comes into Tuscaloosa to play Alabama I make it a point to get a few things cleared up before the game starts. First off, you guys are playing The University of Alabamaa. We are not some 2nd rate team from some backwards conference. Alabama is among the elite. The best. A tradition that goes back a long way. National Championships, many bowl wins, SEC Championships, high national rankings, etc. The list goes on. With that resume comes respect. The kind of respect that can only be earned. The Alabama fans carry that respect whether we are at home or on the road and a few things need to be understood. When Alabama comes to town you are seeing one of the movers and shakers in all of college football and the fans are no exception. First, there will NOT be any yelling in my ear during the game. I darn well don't plan on driving all that distance to your stadium to have some guy yell in my ear. I will ask you one time to stop and no more. I don't mind clapping but this incessant yelling is out. If you continue then I will take a physical solution that you will not like. I will NEVER provoke but if you guys think that yelling in my ear is gonna be tolerated you are in for a big surprise. Same thing for the kids. Sure, they can be there but keep them out of my area and keep them quiet. If you cannot control the kids then you will be held responsible and I will take matters into my own hand. We don't put up with that crap in Tuscaloosa and we darn well aren't gonna drive all that distance to your place and put up with it. If I have to go to the restroom I don't wait in line, I go to the front. This is an area where I have encountered some problems before so I am just making it clear now. A Bama fan has earned the right to not wait in some bathroom line and we choose to not do it. If you have a problem with this you had better go to a "home" restroom or to one where the Alabama fans are not in. If you do decide to make an issue out of it then be prepared to face a physical solution. Ditto for concessions. We go to the front of the line. Not out of spite or to try to show you up. It is all about showing respect, folks. Again, if you have a problem with this I advise you to keep away form me or the Alabama contingent. I am very upfront and honest when I tell you that it aint nothing for me to up and kick a man's ass. Done it several times and I'll do it again if pushed. NEVER will I provoke, though. It is YOU that determines my actions. If you understand where I and the Alabama folks are coming from and what is expected then we will have a great time and no problems will ever arise. Please understand that I am NOT coming to cause problems as that is the last thing on my agenda. It is a tradition and respect that Alabama has and you need to realize this. We can laugh and have a good time but I just wanted to get a few things understood beforehand. I hope all goes well and there are no problems.
BTW: I'm also a die-hard Louisville fan. I grew up there and I always went to their basketball games with my Dad.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm not a big fan of bandwagon fans. You know the ones...they change allegiances each year depending on who wins the NC. Pick a team and stick with them through the good and bad. Trust me, as a Georgia fan I've been suffering ever since the early 80's. :frowning:
BTW guys. Let's try to play nice.

KyleS

Screenwriter
The SEC rules. I know this is an oft-argued item but what other conference has the most exciting college football?
The PAC-10 Baby :D
Oregon
Washington
Washington St
Stanford
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona St
Oregon St
CAL
IMO the PAC-10 has some of the best football around because pretty much every single game they play is against another top notch team. This IMO is why we dont see more of the PAC-10 teams playing for a national title they dont PAD their schedules with blowout games. Ever wonder why Miama dropped Washington? (maybe because they lost 2 national titles with their only loss coming to them?). Granted they have blown out Washington in off years but except for a couple of years Miami got shell shocked. I would love to see a play-off come around so that someday we may truly be able to find out who is the best teams in the country.
I may be a little biased but something has to change in the college ranks and get the damn voting away from East coast papers and people that are payed off. About the only teams that are not from around the east coast playing for a national championship each year is Nebraska and now Oklahoma (And getting some support from the papers/voters).
KyleS

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Here in Michigan most folks will gravitate to the Wolverines or the uh, the uh, ahem-Spartans. Personally I just somehow just decided at an early age that the Wolverines were my team. My family is mostly MSU and Dirty Cheaters Notre Dame fans.

I still root for the old alma mater, Wayne State, but I just can't seem to get too excited about the Tartars Warriors for some reason. But hey, they were pretty invincible in fencing back in the day!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I may be a little biased but something has to change in the college ranks and get the damn voting away from East coast papers and people that are payed off.
You mean like the year Charles Woodson won the Heisman over Peyton Manning? :rolleyes
More comments on college conferences later..

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
You mean like the year Charles Woodson won the Heisman over Peyton Manning?
You are wrong if you think that Charles Woodson didn't deserve that award, he is one of the few players that has deserve the Heisman. Few players will ever have a season like the one Chuck Woodson had, especially a game like he had against Ohio State. If Manning would of stepped up in big games the way Woodson did than Manning would be a Heisman Trophy winner.

Oh and nobody was payed off, that trophy was all but given to Manning before the season even started.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Woodson was definitely the right choice. But I thought everyone was gonna give it to Manning as a career achievement award. For one year, at least, the voters got it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks