What's new

*** Official THE EXPRESS Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"The Express" is a sports biopic of Ernie Davis, the first black college football player to win the Heisman Trophy. Rob Brown plays Ernie Davis with quiet sincerity and humility. Dennis Quaid is Coach Schwartzwalder, Ernie's coach at Syracuse University. In step with the early days of the Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s, Ernie's own collegiate storyline is littered with shameful episodes of racism and intolerance from not only the opponents his university played against, but also from a select few on his own team, but with Jackie Robinson as a personal hero from his youth, Ernie did his level best to let his actions on the field do the talking for him.

The film is solid in dealing with Ernie's on-the-field exploits, but I did want a little more of Ernie's personal off-the-field experiences, though there are a few that are effective enough to convey his struggles with playing at Syracuse while his cousin sought Ernie for active participation in the Civil Rights movement.

Overall, a solid effort by director Gary Fleder and a good cast headed by Brown and Quaid. The final act is rather effective and concludes with an inspirational tone.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Express". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks