What's new

Let's talk college football! (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, and the SEC is the football conference. End of discussion.
Teams that make up the SEC National Championships Won: 12
Teams that make up the Big 10 National Chamionships Won: 12
Teams that make up the Big 12 National Championships Won: 15
Dome, I think you have to give a lot of the credit to Spurrier. Almost all of the Gator receivers who looked so good in college, completely disappeared at the NFL level.

MichaelG

Second Unit
Teams that make up the SEC National Championships Won: 12
Teams that make up the Big 10 National Chamionships Won: 12
Teams that make up the Big 12 National Championships Won: 15
In general over the last 10 years I would say that the SEC has no doubt the best overall football conference. Recently however I think that both the Big 10(11) and Big 12 have each had a better year in there. You are quoting National Championships here, but that really doesn't mean that is the best, or most competitive Conference, when Florida State won it's last Championship was the ACC the best Conference because of it, no way.

The SEC has gotten this stigma due to the fact that from top to bottom the level of play is higher than other Conferences, not neccessarily the best team is in there though. Also, SEC usually has a great Bowl game record against other Conferences. This of course is not the case EVERY year.

Last year I would say that the Big 12 was the best Conference, maybe the SEC gets that crown back again this year.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
You could go further on to say that due to the high level of competition in the SEC there aren't as many contenders for the national title. Take Tennessee for example. A shoe-in for the national championship game. However, the SEC title game got 'em and LSU beat them. I'm not going to take anything away from LSU, they played very well. However, UT didn't and that's why they didn't get to go. Instead they went to another bowl and beat some 2nd-tier team. The SEC had the same issues as the AFC did in relation to their Super Bowl. They beat up on one another so bad (though in the case of the SEC, they merely lost 1 game and dropped from the top 10).

It's extremely hard to go through the SEC undefeated. That's why I think from top to bottom its the best conference, period.

ChaseHanna

Stunt Coordinator
Big 12 football is it for me.

In most pre-season polls half of the Big XII comes into the season ranked top 25.

This season my team (Texas A&M) should be able to suprise most people. We've been picked as the 4th best defense (go Wrecking Crew) and actually have a decent looking offense for once if everyone stays healthy. And the article definantly did not put enough emphasis on Kyle field. Rated at 8th is way too low. Its one of the toughest places in the nation to play at. Aggies are some of the best fans in the world. At close to 90,000 in the stands the effects of the 12th man can really be felt. We'll see how V Tech, Nebraska and Oklahoma fare up against the Crew this year. Should be interesting to say the least.

As much as I hate to say it, with the amount of talent Texas has they should finish high, if not win it all this year. They just seem to have trouble with the big games.

Go Aggies!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I also think that there's an anti-west coast bias out there. I know I'm not impartial being in PAC-10 country but I don't see too much out in the rest of the country that I don't see in PAC-10 play. It's a conference where teams also beat the crap out of each other and hence don't get the requisite undefeated season in order to get to the Championship game.
Sorry Chase, but one thing I don't like is how much respect the Big12 gets. There are only four teams really that have a shot (Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma and Colorado) at winning and the rest of the conference is really not that good. And then the top teams play weak schedules that help pad their stats and then don't play anyone else for the rest of the year except each other. Last year, what everyone called Great Defense in Oklahoma looked more like No Offense instead. ;)
This year--
Texas plays: North Texas, UNC, Houston, Tulane
Nebraska plays: Arizona State, Troy State, Utah State, Penn State, McNeese State
Oklahoma plays: Tulsa, Alabama, UTEP & South Florida (hey there are 3 other schools they could be playing in FL)
Only Colorado plays a semi-respectable schedule of UCLA, Southern Cal, Colorado State and San Diego.
So last year Texas & Oklahoma spent seemingly the whole season not playing anyone and keeping their spots in the Top 5. What happened in the end? Texas needs a late rally to beat 8-4 Washington (who was embarassed by Miami) in a bowl, Colorado was crushed by Oregon, Oklahoma loses to OK State and beats the mighty Arkansas Razorbacks in a bowl 10-3, Nebraska gets shelled by Miami.
Sorry, just had to vent. I know there have been excellent teams coming out of the Big12 in years past, but man, talk about living off of a reputation for last year...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the Pac-10 has improved a lot in the past few years, and last year they were a better conference top to bottom than the Big 12. As Carlo said, many Big 12 teams schedule only weak non-conference opponents (Kansas State being the worst offender when they were ranked high a few years ago). In the Big Ten (11), Wisconsin has always been looked down upon for doing the same thing. It's difficult to take a team seriously when it avoids playing any quality non-conference opponents.

The Big 12 has a few very good teams, but the rest of the conference is not very good. Right now, the SEC and Pac-10 have the best teams, top to bottom.

Unfortunately, I cannot put the Big 10/11 up against the best conferences again this year. The conference may not finish with any team in the top 10 again this season.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It's extremely hard to go through the SEC undefeated. That's why I think from top to bottom its the best conference, period.
As the only representative of the University of Kentucky, we apologize for skewing those results. :p)

Go Derek Abney!!! Get that 1st Team All-SEC honor!!!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
i went by to check out the camper my brother and I will be using to go to the games. A friend of his practically gave him the thing because he never used it. It sleeps about 5, has a stove and fridge, an AC, and connections of electricity, water, and gas. And while it doesn't have any facilities, it does have a large closet that we're going to turn into a bathroom. Other than it needs a good cleaning, it's in pretty good shape. We're going to do a little customizing and turn it into a Red and Black UGA party camper. So if you're playing Georgia and you see someone pulling a gaudy-looking Red and Black camper adorned with pics of Dawgs, that would be us!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Certainly you're not referring to UK, are you?
Nope, I was referring to Vanderbilt. I have a friend who is an alma mater, and I tell him he went to a nerd school. The reason I say they probably don't cheat (and even if they do, it's probably a half-ass effort) is that Vanderbilt doesn't exactly produce the most high caliber athletes (Jamie Winborn being the most recent exception).

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Wake Forest loses to Northern Ill.!! Ouch!!

Well, I've got my tickets for the Georgia-Clemson game Saturday. 50-yard line. I am so psyched! Go Dawgs!!!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Michigan's opener is tomorrow against a tough Washington team. Hopefully the Wolverines will get revenge at the Big House for last year's loss at Washington. Go Blue!

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Scott I see our Wolverines coming out strong tomorrow and winning by 10. Man I am geeked for the season to start.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Scott, gonna have to root against your Wolverines again!
With strength of schedule in the BCS, as a UCLA fan I have to hope all our future opponents win as many games as possible, thus elevating our BCS status as we beat each team! ;)
Seriously, I loved the UCLA/Michigan game I went to (aside from the result, it was just awesome to see how well Michigan travels cross country, as well as Alabama). I hope UCLA and Michigan will sign another home/away series soon!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott I see our Wolverines coming out strong tomorrow and winning by 10. Man I am geeked for the season to start.
I wish I were as confident as you are, Jeremiah. Michigan's offense is a big question mark, with Navarre at QB and a questionable running game. The defense should be solid, though.
Carlo, I promise to pull for the Bruins if you'll throw some positive vibes towards Ann Arbor tomorrow. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You got it, Scott! We need all the help we can get... :D
BTW, if there's anything I saw last year about UW's defense...it's to RUN THE BALL on them! DeShaun = 301 yds! :eek:
Having seen Navarre I can agree that he will be a question mark all season, but this game he shouldn't figure so prominently. Michigan would be remiss not to run the ball at least 40 times against UW. Do it until they prove they can stop it consistently. My money is that they can't/won't.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Scott, I can't agree with you more on Michigan's question marks but I think the defense will be all over the Mutts tomarrow and dominate them. Plus I think Navarre will be fine playing at home(he better be it's his 3rd straight season opener!).
Coach Carr has had a quite confidence this year and he says the team is ready for the season to start from the reports I have read.
Marlin Jackson going up against Reggie Williams should be a pretty nice match-up tomarrow. We were this close of having RW playing for the Wolverines last year and I think of it when I watch that kid play:frowning:.

Rob Tenniswood

Stunt Coordinator
Notre Dame is going all the way this year - they've got a whole new offense, and no one'll know how to defend against it. The last few years have been weak but that's just 'cause of Bob Davie - now that he got the boot, ND is going all the way.

Of course, being a sophomore at ND makes me just slightly biased...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks