What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

Alex S

Second Unit
beer_pic_blkchocolate.jpg

Picked me up a 6p of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout this weekend.
Wow, this is a great stout !
Highly recommended.
It's only available until March so hurry up !
:)
Availability: October-March in 12-oz bottles, 15.5-gal kegs and 5.2-gal kegs
Malts: two-row English Malt, Wheat Malt, Chocolate Malt, Black Malt, Black Barley, Roasted Barley
Hops: East Kent Goldings, Cascade, Willamette
Alcohol: 8.5% by volume
Original Gravity: 21.7 degrees Plato; 1087
Bitterness: 70 IBUs

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Alex, your beer-threader of the week! Pictures too!

Sounds like an awfully high IBU for a stout. Sounds interesting.

James Slade

Second Unit
AndyVX,

I'm in Toronto. I can't tell you where to buy strange beers, but I can strongly recommend your try Olands Export. It is made by the same people as Keiths in Halifax (where I am from). IT is truely a great beer and if you like Keith's you will likely really like Oland's.

It is available at some but not all local beer stores.

If you give it a try, post and let me know what you thought!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone noticed the price of Sam Adams (great safety beer) jumping in their neck of the woods. A couple of the places where I frequent occasionally had six packs of all varities from $8-8.50. My regular store still had six packs for $6.50 though. I am wondering if there was an increase in price from the brewery being passed on down the line, or if these stores are just trying to gouge a bit.

J

Alex S

Second Unit
Alex, your beer-threader of the week! Pictures too!
Sounds like an awfully high IBU for a stout. Sounds interesting.
Thanks Zen. :)
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
It's already getting hard to find.
The distributor I picked up a 6p from last weekend sold it for $7.99 a 6p but said he would give me a case for $5.99 a 6p.
I'm going back there on Saturday to pick up a case of it,
if there is any left.
Here are some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout reviews:
http://www.ratebeer.com/ShowBeer.asp?BeerID=531

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Bump.
Hi there folks. It's been a while. First question, did Zen get his case of Victory Hop Devil IPA yet?
Second question, how am I going to survive?
I am on a hiatus from consumption of tasty malted beverages. Two reasons, I am trying to lose some #'s and I am Catholic, so when asked by my wife what I would be abstaining from for Lent, beer was her suggestion. So far so good. Case of a Quad is safely stowed away for enjoyment after Easter. Needed some additional bottle conditioning anyway. :)
On Fat Tuesday, enjoyed several Stone Products, Ruination IPA and Smoked Porter. Man, love that IPA! What an awesome hoppy beer. Still not the easiest beer to find here in VA, but more and more places have them showing up.
Cheers!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hi there folks. It's been a while. First question, did Zen get his case of Victory Hop Devil IPA yet?
A good questin indeed...Zen?
Nothing new here, it's been rough week and beer consumption has been at an all time low. Gotta lotta making up to do this weekend.
Peace Out~:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Unfortunately No....but Wine Country did have 1 lonely 6pk about a week ago. I will expand on it at a later time. I am also on a beer hiatus. I've been buried at work. I just don't have the time to enjoy it. :thumbsdown:

Shane Bos

Second Unit
I'm sad to see that a few of my favorites haven't been listed by anyone yet.
Stella Artois is definatly my favorite lager now, been really hooked on it over the last 2 weeks.
Kootney Mountain Ale is my favorite beer to drink and is a fairly local product (toured the brewery twice). A must try for anyone that like Traditional Ale from Big Rock.
Kilkenny an alternative to Guiness if your looking for something just a little lighter.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I had a Big Rock a couple of weeks ago. A gift from a Canadian co-worker and I have to say I can't remember the last time, or ever for that matter, I had a decent beer from a can.
It's a little weird. :)

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a pretty big fan of Beck's. Haven't been in the beer world for too long, but I really like it. I'm also a big fan of Negro Modelo.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron,
I’ve been in San Diego this week and tried a Stone IPA. Thanks very much for the heads up. Don’t imagine that I would have come across this on my own.
Also I’ve had a few different brews at a brewpub right down the street, which have been more than adequate.
Thanks again. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Excellent Lew!
Gotta make a beer run tonight myself. Running low on the fuel. I'll post back later with my findings, hopefully fill the fridge with some different brews this time around.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Went to the local LW yesterday and found a new Stone brew, the Double Bastard Ale. Picked up a bottle for tasting and I sit here at my desk still baffled. First off, this rolls in at a huge 10% ABV, impressive. I cannot comment much right now as I need another bottle to let this massive brew sink in. I will say it has a strong alcohol, citric and spicy nose. The body is full, rich and robust with a nice bitter-bite, yet very clean.
I'll add more after another bottle. I was told it is a limited addition so if you see it, grab and bottle and enjoy one very, very fine brew.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Double Bastard is very complex. I have seen it around quite a bit too. I had no idea it was a LE. I do know their Vertical Epic which was released 3/3/03 is in Limited Release, like all their anniversary outings.
Ron, on a side note. The Victory HopDevil was nothing special IMO. I did only find 1 6pk. I found a bit overrated and a let down after a week of Ruination. Still a worthy brew though. I'll post my review, when I have time.

Edit (my BeerAdvocate review) 3.7 out of 5
It was built up so much before I finally got to try it. I don't think this was much of a factor though...
Pours a dark amber, very nice head that leaves a thin frothy lace down the glass. Smells of hop, citrus and spice. Taste up front was a prominet malt, thins in the middle a bit, and a bit salty on the back of the tongue, spices along the sides. There is though a generous hop finish, that came a little later than expected with this type of brew. I found the mouthfeel a bit thin and unsatisfying. I just can't rave about this brew or truly find fault. In the light of my eastcoast friends hailing this as there answer to a Ruination, I only chuckle, for this is a completely different brew. HopDevil satisfies though, with its clever spicy infusion. Though much like a 12 round heavyweight bout that you paid $49.95 for. It only lasts one round.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
...Double Bastard Ale. Picked up a bottle for tasting and I sit here at my desk still baffled. First off, this rolls in at a huge 10% ABV, impressive.
As for Double Bastard, I believe it is released every fall in limited quantities, so Ron's find is probably rare at this point (until next year). I haven't been inclined to purchase any since I over-did this beer the Friday after Thanksgiving. Have a jeroboam waiting for the right occasion though. :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
If that is the case, I'm going by tonight to get the remaining bottle's off the shelf. Good stuff, this Double Bastard is.
As for Stone's new brew:eek:
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
:laugh:

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I bought a case of 12 Double Bastards the last time I was in Kentucky. I have about 6 left. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks