What's new

The Official Fox Wishlist Thread (1 Viewer)

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
dont knock the Kazan set or I might come out fighting :)

a hint? ok T_e _rem_in L_tte_

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Finn
dont knock the Kazan set or I might come out fighting :)

a hint? ok T_e _rem_in L_tte_
Mr. Finn, as Mr. Capps has said you do seem like a fine and nice man. But as a lover of movies, I have spent many a dollar on previous Fox titles. I have the Charlie Chan's, The Mr. Moto's, all of the Fox Film Noir titles, the Alice Faye, Betty Grable, Tyrone Power collections, hell I even have the Carmen Miranda collection and all the epics from The Big Trail, to Cleopatra, to Doctor Doolittle to the Blu-ray of The Sound Of Music and recent Blu-ray of Unstoppable. But I find that the Kazan and Anniversary Collections that Fox produced was a complete slap in my face and completely ignorant of anyone of us that purchased the previously released titles in those collections, and only offering titles that most any movie lover has been longing to have in those collections only.

I don't knock the Kazan set, I knock Fox for releasing those previously unreleased titles only in those collections. While I will continue to purchase Fox titles that I want, this has left a very bitter taste in my mouth for Fox and considering that most of us know about The Kremlin Letter since it has been up for pre-order on the SAE web site for a few days along with a month old thread on this forum, I'm not sure how to take the hint.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Thomas T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. The 2010 "major news" event from Fox consisted of one effort, the Kazan collection which consisted of too many previously released titles to double dip. Fortunately I have [COLOR= #b22222]Viva Zapata [/COLOR]and [COLOR= #a52a2a]Wild River [/COLOR]as overseas imports. The only titles wanted from the collection are [COLOR= #8b4513]A Tree Grows In Brooklyn[/COLOR] and [COLOR= #000080]Man On A Tightrope [/COLOR]so I wasn't about to buy the whole set for two titles. This frustration at the lack of Fox titles available domestically was a major factor in my decision to get a region free player which has allowed me to get Fox titles not available here like [COLOR= #800080]B[/COLOR][COLOR= #800080]eloved Infidel[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Swamp Water[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Rains Of Ranchipur[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Revolt Of Mamie Stover[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Anne Of The Indies[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Tender Is The Night[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Boy On A Dolphin[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]The Flim Flam Man[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]The Lion[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Woman's World[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]The Egyptian[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]The Pleasure Seekers[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Two Flags West[/COLOR]t, [COLOR= #800080]Way Of A Gaucho[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Left Hand Of God[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Fate Is The Hunter[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]Barbarian And The Geisha[/COLOR], In Love And War, [COLOR= #800080]Harry Black And The Tiger[/COLOR], [COLOR= #800080]The Second Time Around[/COLOR] and [COLOR= #800080]Sons And Lovers[/COLOR]. Money spent overseas that I would have gladly handed over to Fox.

I don't even think half of those have even aired on the FOX MOVIE CHANNEL in some time ,if at all!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I did by the Kazan set largely because I had doubts that Fox would release them separately anytime in the near, which have so far been well founded (also I was able to find it at a decent sale). Outside of the Kazan set, Fox has Cavalcade and, through their MGM partnership, Whoopee and Kid Millions locked away in 100+ dvd sets. If nothing else, I'd like those titles released either as singles or something less expensive.

However, Fox seems to be slightly more active on mastering their classics on Blu-ray, so I'm looking forward to more

I do agree that it is odd to take the titles sub-licensed to outside distributors as "official" 20th Century Fox releases. Granted the print quality will likely be good in Kremlin Letter and both Twilight Time and Shout! Factory released titles will be worth the money, pretty much everything outside of a possible Criterion release won't be up to the standard of excellence as Fox's Screen Classics line. The DVD of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was a reminder of how the company used to release them, with generous extra features. Hopefully there are more releases coming direct from the company itself.

Also, Fox seems to have set itself a precedent since the Ford at Fox set, at releasing one big director's/actor's set a year. Hopefully Fox will maintain that stride this year.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I had doubts that Fox would release the new titles in the Kazan or Anniversary sets separately also, but I still did not buy them. I did not then and I do not now think it is right to only offer those titles with previously released titles that I do not wish to buy again. To me it is still a slap at me and all the money I have spent supporting their DVD releases over the years. I also bought the FORD AT FOX set and the MURNAU/BORZAGE AT FOX set and happily purchased them, even though I had three of the titles from the Ford set there were so much more that I did not have.

I realize that the titles do belong to Fox and they can release them anyway they want, but I can still feel slighted and feel betrayed for the support that I have given over the years.

Even Warner's is releasing Kazan's AMERICA, AMERICA as a single pressed disc this spring. They understand.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I know that I am probably going to get in trouble for this, but the hint concerning THE KREMLIN LETTER keeps nagging at me. Not sure how this can be be credited to Fox releasing it. I understand that they own it and they were the ones that agreed to sub-lease the title to another company but it is someone else taking the risk on the title. I think many of us applauded the news of both Shout! and Twilight Time for leasing some Fox titles for Fox was not going to do anything thing with them at the present time. This is a way for us to get a favorite film finally and some of us have suggested many titles and posted hopes of other titles that we would like the two companies to release. Fox if you really want to celebrate your anniversary then do something. You have hinted at some sort of MOD program, but for heaven's sake, if you do, do it better than what you did for MGM. To me what you have done so far is nothing but trying to get more bucks out of titles that are already in release. Where are more Betty Grable titles, Sonja Henie titles, and more of the great CinemaScope titles. Oh and by the way I did purchase Shout!'s release of Lucky Lady and 11 Harrowhouse. The rest will be bought also along with the Twilight Time titles. I intend to support those companies in hopes they go back to well and rescue more titles from Fox even though Fox is getting a piece of the action.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
The best Fox release of 2010 wasn't actually a Fox release. It was Criterion's Blu-ray of Bigger Than Life.

I don't understand why Man on a Tightrope and Wild River weren't released as Fox Studio Classics titles. Maybe they were tied up in legal issues back in that period, but they are both excellent films.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Master list updated. Lots of releases thanks to Shout! Factory and Twilight Time. However, still no news on a Fox MOD program.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
MLamarre said:
Master list updated. Lots of releases thanks to Shout! Factory and Twilight Time. However, still no news on a Fox MOD program.
Why should FOX start a MOD program while they have the MGM titles they are handling?
MGM assumes most of the costs and risks while FOX makes money without having to deal with their own library.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
They have some titles from Shout and one a month from Twilight Time.
Thats not nearly enough !!!

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Lou Lumenick is reporting that Fox will (finally) start their MOD series in June:
When Fox began distributing the MGM Limited Edition Collection in 2012, it seemed likely that Fox would eventually follow with its own manufacture-on-demand program. The Fox Cinema Archives, as it's called, is finally arriving sometimes this month, with three titles already available for pre-order at Amazon for $19.98 apiece: Rouben Mamoulian's romantic comedy "Rings on Her Fingers'' (1942) starring Gene Tierney and Henry Fonda; Irving Cumming's Technicolored Betty Grable musical "Sweet Rosie O'Grady'' (1943) with Robert Young; and Henry Hathaway's thriller "Diplomatic Courier'' (1951) starring Tyrone Power and Patricia Neal.
Read more at: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/slate_extra_selznick_busy_rko_year_vICHuCtouImBWmB3tEhy8M#ixzz1wHJu2w8j and check out the other thread for discussion.
Take a look at the OP to get an idea about what Fox could be releasing.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Conrack coming via Twilight Time on March 10, 2014. Blu-ray only, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks