What's new

Justified - The Final Season (FX) (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was one of the most tightly scripted hours of the entire show, and already one of my favorites.

Jake Busey presents us with another Elmore Leonard-caliber moron henchman, who knows a great deal about cracking safes but takes a few unfortunate shortcuts when it comes to workplace safety. I laughed louder at his sudden exit stage left than at just about anything all season long.

Jeremy Davies takes a victory lap as Dickie Bennett. You could excise that interview room scene from the rest of the episode, and it would make a perfectly excellent short film with a satisfying beginning, middle and end.

And then Kaitlyn Dever returns as Loretta McCready. Same deal, everything from the moment the episode cuts to her kitchen to the moment Raylan steps outside to answer his cell phone works as an immensely involving stand alone sequence that speaks volumes about character. We've seen Ty Walker and his goons get the better of several people so far this season, and our reintroduction to Loretta informs us within a couple beats that not only has she taken the measure of this man and the kind of threat he poses, she's already laying the groundwork for removing that threat from the equation. Avery Markham has done his homework, but I wonder if he knows the real threat is never Mags's Apple Pie, but the glass it's served in. Clearly Loretta wasn't planning on killing Ty with it, or she never would have dipped her finger, but it really served to remind the audience that Loretta is always about seven steps ahead of everyone who comes into contact with her. And then afterward, once Raylan has chased off Markham and Walker, their conversation was all kinds of illuminating. Raylan is probably the closest thing to family Loretta has left, and they care about each other, but it's not a father-daughter relationship. Instead, their mirrors of each other, cool steely exteriors hiding an inferno of rage inside. And much like Raylan, the only way to provoke a reaction is to bring up the parent that she loved. With Raylan, it's his mother. With Loretta, it's her father. To understand what an exceptional young talent Dever is, you just have to watch how Loretta's eyes change when Raylan mentions her father. And then go watch an episode of "Last Man Standing" and see a completely different kind of performance.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Ava's coke-fueled afternoon excursion with Katherine Hale. Clearly she suspects that Ava's been flipped, but clearly she also shared a lot of truth with Ava. How much of that is strategic, and how much of that is the release of finally having a female confidant? We don't know, and neither does Ava, and that just makes Katherine Hale even tougher to decipher.

Next week, it looks like the shit really hits the fan, and we get:
the epic return of Constable Bob!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
And also
Limehouse.
Hell yeah.

"I want Sigourney Weaver to choke me out with her thighs." We've had a disturbing lack of Tim's boners lately.

OK, forget the Tim/Rachel/Choo Choo spinoff...I want Boyd and Wynn to have a show of their own, consisting entirely of them reacting to people's horrible deaths.

I'd actually been iffy on Steenburgen as a major villain until this episode. I mean, she's like the loveliest, nicest woman ever whom I'd want to be my mom. But damn she was menacing here.

(And I also loved that Boyd knew about Sex Wax.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So how many episodes is this now for Wynn Duffy ending up covered in someone else's blood? One too few.

Last night I remember thinking, "Man, you can't even stand across from Wynn Duffy." 'Till now, it was the people next to him abruptly getting splattered.

I also loved the implication that Katherine Hale is such a force to be reckoned with, she walks around Kentucky telling jokes where the punchline is, "Hillary Clinton is awesome." (Nick Searcy would probably be turned on by it, secretly.)

Scott Hanson said:
Is there anything Boyd doesn't know about?

Frighteningly, thanks to last week's episode, I can picture Wynn Duffy on a surfboard only all too easily now.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
joshEH said:
OK, forget the Tim/Rachel/Choo Choo spinoff...I want Boyd and Wynn to have a show of their own, consisting entirely of them reacting to people's horrible deaths.

This.

Seriously, does Jere Burns just say, "hey guys can you splatter me with blood so I can give my reaction take?" It's like the new spit-take. So funny. Goggins clearly wanted in on some of that. Where is the gif??!

At this point in time I wouldn't be surprised if it's Loretta who kills Raylan at the end of the season rather than him dying in a face-off with Boyd, Markham, or any other baddie. She is a serious counterpoint of his, and he needs to quit thinking he is holier than thou with her. She is 5 steps ahead of everyone.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Are you okay? You look aplexed."

Another glorious Wynn Duffy reaction-shot tonight, this time in the general direction of Katherine's grandkids.

As a matter of fact, Wynn Duffy reacting to children saw Jen Barkley's reaction and raised it considerably.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My favorite bit in the whole episode was Wynn and Mikey playing Scrabble. I find the little glimpses of Wynn's life when he's not being a stone cold bad ass endlessly fascinating.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Adam Lenhardt said:
I find the little glimpses of Wynn's life when he's not being a stone cold bad ass endlessly fascinating.

You really think Wynn is a stone cold bad ass? Funny, I always considered him kind of a pussy and a doofus. Great character? Absolutely. Stone cold bad ass? No way!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Hanson said:
You really think Wynn is a stone cold bad ass? Funny, I always considered him kind of a pussy and a doofus. Great character? Absolutely. Stone cold bad ass? No way!
Same here!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'm not sure what was funnier...

"You look aplexed." or the entire sequence revolving around the $40 a day skimming. In both cases, the reactions of Jere Burns and Garret Dillahunt were priceless.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
Well, he's killed plenty of people over the course of the show, both directly and indirectly, and while plenty of giants have fallen, he's still in the game. Re-watch his first appearance back in season one to be reminded just how sadistic he can be.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Adam Lenhardt said:
Re-watch his first appearance back in season one to be reminded just how sadistic he can be.

Sadistic does not equal bad ass. Robert Durst is about as sadistic a person there is...is he a bad ass?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They dropped a quote from Elmore Leonard's Glitz into this week's episode. "Wonderful things can happen...when you plant seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes." Raylan said he "read it somewhere" and Tim said to repeat it slowly so he could write it down. :thumbsup:

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Kind of felt bad for Boyd, every time he came home he found another guy with his lady. lol

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder for those who will be recording tonight's episode for later viewing: It's a special extended episode that runs from 10:00 to 11:30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks