What's new

Justified - The Final Season (FX) (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Adam Lenhardt said:
It also brings back the danger and unpredictability of Boyd from the pilot. When he's sitting there, watching Ava sleep, we have absolutely no idea what he's thinking. The civilized Boyd, the Boyd that had the detente with Raylan, is gone. Both sides are all in now.

That was creepy. He sure as hell doesn't trust her, no matter how he acts. Even the snippet in the previews has me questioning who's acting when.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm starting to re watch season one, I can't believe this series never won any writing or acting awards, with all the mediocre stuff the emmy's recognize its criminal

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Dave Scarpa said:
I'm starting to re watch season one, I can't believe this series never won any writing or acting awards, with all the mediocre stuff the emmy's recognize its criminal

Walton Goggins has been Emmy-nominated for the role of Boyd, but Margo Martindale actually (and very deservedly) won for her character of Mags Bennett in 2010.

Just wait 'til you hit Season 2.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Oh I've seen all the seasons I thought only martingale won, olyphant deserves recognition

GWise

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Jeremy Davies won the 2012 Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of Dickie Bennett. He was also nominated in 2011 for the same role and in the same category.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I LOVED that episode last night! The slow burn begins, and I have no idea who wants what or who's telling how much of the truth, but I'm digging it.

I also think Dillahunt is the bomb. "What about eggs?" :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Sam Elliott. I'm thinking he's going to rank right up there with Justified's greatest villains when this is all done and finished. The casual, nonchalant way he talked about torturing a guy, cutting both eyes out because the guy could still get a driver's license with one eye, was pretty terrifying.

One of the funniest episodes of Justified in a while, with a ton of great lines. And, oh god, Ty Walker is going to cause so much trouble (Dillahunt blowing his nose on the homeowner's laundry was a particularly nice touch).

Also, loved the gator-teeth being found and hung up...Dewey lives on.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Brett_M said:
Great season so far. More Winona please. I love Natalie Zea.
I feel the same way. Assuming Raylan makes it out of Harlan alive, I'd love either feature films or FX standalone TV movies starring Timothy Olyphant as Raylan and Natalie Zea as Winona, with some of Raylan's later Miami adventures.

I also hope we get more Winona toward the end as things begin to wrap up.

Quentin said:
I LOVED that episode last night! The slow burn begins, and I have no idea who wants what or who's telling how much of the truth, but I'm digging it.
I agree. There's a definite sense of purpose to these early episodes, even as the wheels are just starting to turn, that last season lacked.

joshEH said:
Sam Elliott. I'm thinking he's going to rank right up there with Justified's greatest villains when this is all done and finished. The casual, nonchalant way he talked about torturing a guy, cutting both eyes out because the guy could still get a driver's license with one eye, was pretty terrifying.
I agree. The Florida Crowes were too stupid and self-defeating to make really good bad guys last season. This show excels at stupid henchmen, but you need genuinely fearsome villains at the top of the food chain. Avery Markham and Ty Walker both have very low-key exteriors, and they're all the more menacing for it.

Markman's conversation with Mary Steenburgen's insidious Katherine Hale was positively loaded with deeper meaning. On the surface, Markman seems to be snookered by her, but the way he carries himself and the way he says certain things makes it clear that he shouldn't be counted out.

And Walker's remark "call me peacock" as he and Sea Bass walk up the elderly couple's driveway with rolls of plastic sheeting under their arms was one of the most casually foreboding scenes I can recall.

Also, loved the gator-teeth being found and hung up...Dewey lives on.
I was waiting for Ava to spot them, and be reminded just how lethal the stakes of the game she's playing are.

joshEH said:
And thank you, Justified writers, for bringing Choo Choo into my life. You are all forgiven for Dewey Crowe. I want Choo Choo and Tim to be best friends 5eva and eva.
Absolutely brilliant character. Right up there with "Justified's" sterling ranks of moron henchmen, but compelling for an entirely different way. You can't get a rise out of Choo Choo, and he's wise enough to keep his own counsel, so you're never quite sure what he picks up on and what's gone over his head. That, coupled with his intimidating stature and fists that could shatter concrete, makes him a very unnerving character.

And I loved that when Tim Gutterson revealed himself to be a U.S. Marshal, Choo Choo expressed neither suprise or dismay. It didn't seem to both him one way or the other.

Speaking of Tim: As sad as I am not to get more Nick Searcy as Art, the new configuration at the office has finally given both Rachel and Tim more to do. Her pragmatic directness in the boss's character provides a nice contrast to Art's leadership style, and I could watch Raylan and Tim exchange laconic sarcasm all day.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It may well be time to start our death-pools for this last season. The only person I've got as an absolute lock on getting dead is Boyd. He's gonna have a real "DeNiro-in-Heat"-style tragic final run. Beyond that, I suppose we're probably also gonna lose a few more people:
  • Raylan - Alive. This doesn't feel like a show that ends with a dead protagonist. He's no antihero, even if he skirts legality every now and then. He's the white hat.
  • Boyd - Dead. Conversely to Raylan, he simply must go down. Elmore Leonard's house style demands it.
  • Ava - Dead. I guess. Could go either way. Leonard criminals tend to end badly, but sue me, I think her gender provides her with a touch better odds than Boyd.
  • Art - Alive. Would have died last year, if we were actually headed that way.
  • Tim - Dead. Hate to say it, but I get the impression he's the sacrificial good guy. Too bad!
  • Rachel - Probably makes it out alive, but I could easily see her running afoul of Elliott or Dillahunt, too.
  • Mary Steenburgen - Alive. Probably at large.
Too soon to tell what Sam Elliott's gonna be up to yet, but Garrett Dillahunt is obviously dead. Maybe next week. Which is too bad, because he's reliably awesome.

Aw, hell, who am I kidding? The last survivors will be Wynn Duffy and Choo Choo.

Elizabeth S said:
"I'm not following you." :lol:

"Are you comfortable in there?"

"It's a bit tight."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sam Elliott is an unqualified bad ass as Avery Markham. Few men could inspire Boyd to kiss the ring like that, but I think he made a big mistake twisting the knife on his way out the door. To paraphrase Constable Bob, people underestimate Boyd Crowder at their peril.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
joshEH said:
  • Raylan - Alive. This doesn't feel like a show that ends with a dead protagonist. He's no antihero, even if he skirts legality every now and then. He's the white hat.

I think there's no way Raylan makes it out alive. They've been hinting/foreshadowing his death since season one. Of course, that could be reason enough to think he does make it out alive.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Adam Lenhardt said:
Sam Elliott is an unqualified bad ass as Avery Markham. Few men could inspire Boyd to kiss the ring like that, but I think he made a big mistake twisting the knife on his way out the door. To paraphrase Constable Bob, people underestimate Boyd Crowder at their peril.

Yep. At first, I was thinking, "Wow...Boyd is actually scared." Then, when Avery decides to twist the knife with the make-believe comments...now it's go time. Of course, Katherine Hale couldn't be happier. She'd just as soon everyone kill each other and she can sweep in and clean up the mess.

joshEH said:
Jere Burns wearing a G-string nutslinger is the stuff of nightmares. Though I wish that there were TWO Wynn Duffys on the show, so we could get some awesome .GIFs of him reacting to himself wearing it.

I'm hydrating.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It was so jarring seeing J.J. Lipscomb down in Harlan County in a situation so much darker than any ever seen in Pawnee. Being a coal-mine supervisor is a long way from serving Leslie Knope waffles.

Sam Elliott was terrifying, not just because he has a weird lip without his famous mustache, but because Boyd was truly terrified of him. I realize now that that sinister, folksy smile would've been completely hidden by it, and that their whole conversation wouldn't have worked nearly as well with it.

It's gonna be fun to watch this chess match play out. And while I'm not one who thinks all actors are who they played in Lebowski, I *did* half-expect Elliott to ask Ava if she happened to have a good sarsaparilla.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
I think there's no way Raylan makes it out alive. They've been hinting/foreshadowing his death since season one. Of course, that could be reason enough to think he does make it out alive.
Graham Yost has repeatedly stated in interviews that Raylan is a white hat hero with gray edges, not an anti-hero. Given that, I think storytelling conventions dictate that Raylan has to live. Of course, that could be reason enough to think he doesn't make it out alive.

Quentin said:
Of course, Katherine Hale couldn't be happier. She'd just as soon everyone kill each other and she can sweep in and clean up the mess.
Mary Steenburgen can be hit or miss for me, but Katherine Hale is a definite hit. She's such a stone cold remorseless psychopath, and yet she has a terrific sense of humor.

You get the impression that that Avery was picturing her in his head when he was lecturing Ava about what type of woman she'll need to be if she doesn't want to be reduced to a bargaining token the rest of her life.

joshEH said:
It was so jarring seeing J.J. Lipscomb down in Harlan County in a situation so much darker than any ever seen in Pawnee. Being a coal-mine supervisor is a long way from serving Leslie Knope waffles.
Brent Briscoe was terrific as Luther Kent in this episode. Every decision he made was with his eyes wide open. And Raylan couldn't intimidate him, because you get the impression that Luther has a much clearer perspective on things than Raylan does. He knew his son was a delinquent little fuck up, but that didn't change anything because it was still his son and he'd do anything to protect his son. That, of course, is the kind of bond that Raylan could never understand, given his own father.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks