What's new

The Americans - Season 4 (FX) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I guess I should have added from 'Elizabeth's POV' but Paige did create a massive problem for many of the characters. Philip, Elizabeth, Paige, Henry, Stan and Pastor Tim & his wife's lives could either be irrevocably altered, destroyed or end because she told Pastor Tim. I realize that she's a kid, her parents delivered unfathomable news to her and she felt she could trust Pastor Tim but even with all that, she should have been able to figure out the potential consequences of telling anyone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched the this week's and last week's back to back tonight, which made for a potent two hours. I was expecting Martha to die, actually to commit suicide, throughout. That she ultimately went to Russia was possibly a fate worth than death. I wonder if she will return to the show?

It was pretty harsh of Elizabeth to dump the blame on Paige but I didn't think anything she said was wrong either.

With a few deletions, I thought it could have been a series finale.
I think that was transferrence. Elizabeth poured onto Paige all her anger at Philip and her suppressed anger about Gregory. It was also ironic because after she belittled Philip's interest in EST, she revealed her profound need to deal with her own emotions.

And then the conclusion, the recognition that Philip and Elizabeth were pushed near their breaking points and needed a break, as they pushed Paige into the same emotional destruction they were escaping.

This could have been a finale, indeed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was hoping Elizabeth would listen to Philip...but she didn't. She never does. She remains true to herself and puts the mission above all else. And so loses what might have been her only friend, even if constructed under false pretenses.

I was thinking, that ploy would not easily work today. Two glasses of wine, and you wake up naked? The first thought is GHB and you were assaulted; the opposite of the outcome here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping Elizabeth would listen to Philip...but she didn't. She never does. She remains true to herself and puts the mission above all else. And so loses what might have been her only friend, even if constructed under false pretenses.

I was thinking, that ploy would not easily work today. Two glasses of wine, and you wake up naked? The first thought is GHB and you were assaulted; the opposite of the outcome here.
Given the way they were laughing when Elizabeth made her move, I thought that two glasses had led to three and three led to four and by then they were pretty drunk. Much like Martha, the whole situation was brutal on an emotional level. Don clearly didn't want to cheat on his wife but now his marriage is seriously damaged through absolutely no fault of his own.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
She had spiked his first drink. And he made a comment about how just one or two drinks don't normally hit him that hard.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Just discovered this show, binged the first three seasons and am now making my way through season 4. Will probably be caught up by the last couple of episodes this season.

However.. no season 5 announcement yet? Hmm.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
However.. no season 5 announcement yet? Hmm.
I could be wrong but I don't think this show has ever done well enough to get a renewal early on. Even though it's not a big hit, I assume it does well enough, gets enough critical love and is a show that FX likes enough that they wouldn't cancel it and let it end on a cliffhanger. What would be great is if this (or any show) could give themselves a definitive ending and not tell anyone that it's coming just to maintain the surprise.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I could be wrong but I don't think this show has ever done well enough to get a renewal early on. Even though it's not a big hit, I assume it does well enough, gets enough critical love and is a show that FX likes enough that they wouldn't cancel it and let it end on a cliffhanger. What would be great is if this (or any show) could give themselves a definitive ending and not tell anyone that it's coming just to maintain the surprise.
From the The Americans podcast, when they had the Network execs on, it seems they view The Americans as a prestige show and want to keep it for that sake. Also, the audience is small but passionate.

Finally, while EW headlines this as bad news, I think it's great news: The Americans has a defined end date, allowing them to plan a two season conclusion.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/25/americans-canceled-final-season

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Perfect. I always say 65-80 episodes is a perfect amount for a TV show. There have been rare exceptions but most shows that go beyond that wear out their welcome.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That was quite an elaborate plan just to get access to the dude's office. Surely there was an easier way?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
That was quite an elaborate plan just to get access to the dude's office. Surely there was an easier way?

Not to mention life-destroying. And even after all that, it was a one shot deal. Don could have just taken them to a conference room or something.

And they didn't even find what they wanted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks