What's new

Justified - Season 5 (FX) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With the new season premiering next week, I thought I'd get the discussion started. Season five of Graham Yost's six-season meditation on Elmore Leonard lawman Raylan Givens premieres January 7th on FX:
"A Murder of Crowes": Raylan tangles with a deadly branch of the Crowe family tree in Florida; Boyd goes into the dark heart of the collapsing Detroit mob.
Some tidbits about the new season from Entertainment Weekly:
Dewey Crowe's gator-farming Florida crime family will be the Big Bads for the fifth season. “The big thing would be Dewey Crowe, our beloved Dewey, who we didn’t even see last year — it’s a big season for him,” Yost says.After a very condensed story run so far -- seasons two through four all together comprise roughly half a year of Raylan's life -- there will be a jump of a few months between season four and season five. When the story picks back up, Winona's already given birth and Raylan's grappling with out to be a father. “That has a profound effect on him,” teases Yost. “So what does he want to do going forward? And the baby is not in Kentucky. So what is he going to do? And that’s one of the big questions of the season.”Ava's going to spend most of the season, if not the entire season, in prison.
Some additional returning characters from previous seasons:
As previously reported, Jere Burns was promoted to series regular for season five so we probably have plenty of classic Wynn Duffy reaction shots in store. And of course Damon Herriman will be back as the dim but lovable Dewey Crowe.TVLine is also reporting that Kaitlyn Dever will be back as Loretta McCready, along with Stephen Root as Judge Reardon, Sam Anderson as Lee Paxton, Patton Oswalt as Constable Bob and Natalie Zea as Winona Givens.
And the new faces:
Michael Rapaport, A.J. Buckley and Alicia Witt recurs as Crowe family members Darryl Jr., Danny and Wendy. Edi Gathebi and Amaury Nolasco play associates of the Crowes.David Koechner appears as Deputy Marshall Sutter. Not sure if he's a deputy US Marshal or a deputy named Marshall.Amy Smart appears as Loretta's social worker, and real-life brothers Steve Harris and Wood Harris also play some role in Loretta’s storyline.Karolina Wydra (the green card bride from "House") appears as Lee Paxton's Latvian trophy wife.Dave Foley and Will Sasso play characters involved in Detroit's drug pipeline.
Trailer:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's ever been a formal announcement, but in interviews creator/showrunner Graham Yost has consistently said he envisions the show as a 5-6 season show. Given that this is season five, and we've heard nothing about it being the final season, it seems all but certain that next season will be. The idea is to go out strong and not overstay the show's welcome.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I am rewatching Season 4 in anticipation of Season 5.

First episode, and less than 5 minutes in:

We get a great, angry muttering loud enough for the wife to hear.
We get a dead body falling from the sky.
We get a, "He sure as hell ain't Santa Claus."
We get a, "It's from The Big Lebowski. Netflix it, and be one of the cool kids."

Then we get Boyd blowing up a car. Cannot wait for Season 5.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Quentin said:
Dewey Crowe, Constable Bob, Wynn Duffy, Judge Reardon! Dang, this is gonna be great. Let's get started!
I was already sold at the name Wynn Duffy! :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Tim was on Conan last night...and much fun was made of his college photo:

o-TIMOTHY-OLYPHANT-1-570.jpg

http://teamcoco.com/video/timothy-olyphant-weed-james-bond

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Even back then, he had those super-intense eyes.Just a heads up to those who are DVRing tonight's episode: Windows Media Center lists the season premiere as running 75 minutes, so make sure your recording extends to 11:15/10:15c.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Strong premiere. I loved that it opened with an excessive force civil lawsuit, since I've been waiting for that shoe to drop pretty much since day one. I liked that Raylan testified honestly. And as always, Dewey Crowe's reaction was classic.I liked that they borrowed Steven Soderbergh's trick from Out of Sight and filmed all of the Detroit scenes with a blue filter to make it look extra cold and miserable in contrast to Kentucky and Florida. And like Out of Sight things are completely out of control once they get to Detroit. If I had a complaint about that sequence, it was returning Sammy to punchline status literally one episode after upgrading him to bad ass status. I could believe that the Sammy Tonin from the third season would have found himself in that predicament, but I didn't really believe that the Sammy Tonin that took out Nicky Augustine would have found himself that predicament.If they had to kill off a Crowe, it was nice that it was the most stereotypical redneck Crowe. Although I will say it was worth it to see Lt. Randy Disher from "Monk" kill a man in cold blood. And it was also nice to know that Dewey actually wasn't the stupidest member of the Crowe family.Heading into the funeral parlor scene, I was just getting to feel that the show was getting predictable, with new variations on the show's well-established themes. But then Boyd beat Lee Paxton to death for challenging his love for Ava. I would have never expected that from Boyd, but I believed it. And that was the moment I knew "Justified" was truly back.Nice to see Matt Craven cameo reprising his role as the Miami chief deputy from the pilot. And man, the level and quantity of talent in the guest credits for this episode was insane. It went on a good five minutes, and I recognized most of the names. Loved Wade popping up as Dewey's bartender: "Hey, Raylan…can I get you a blowjob or somethin’?" Hopefully we'll get more of Dave Foley and Will Sasso as the Canadians. They were terrific.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Adam Lenhardt said:
Even back then, he had those super-intense eyes.Just a heads up to those who are DVRing tonight's episode: Windows Media Center lists the season premiere as running 75 minutes, so make sure your recording extends to 11:15/10:15c.
For some reason uverse recorded the first 17 minutes, and that was it. Hopefully I can find it online somewhere. Dont know how they screwed that up.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I was also ecstatic to see Koechner, Foley, and Sasso in meaty roles that will hopefully showcase their talents.

Originally, I was distracted during the opening by the seemingly-endless list of guest stars. All these names kept popping up, and I just got more and more excited. We live in a world where one Kid in the Hall is on Justified, and another is on Hannibal. Seriously, who could've called that?

But these guys all worked well in their respective roles. Hell, I'd take a spin-off focusing on Koechner's character in Florida.

Loved seeing Boyd out of his element, although I was hoping to see more of his Canadian adventures.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Just realized something:

I know that I'm sometimes slow with more subtle stuff on shows, but I was in the shower tonight (that's my thinking-time) and realized that Boyd offered the funeral-home guy $300,000 that he didn't have right now, but could have "within the week." The exact amount that he must have just heard Dewey received in a court settlement.

And of course, the next time we see Dewey, he's in a swimming pool with two whores at his new business, so of course Boyd got every last penny of that settlement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks