What's new

JAPANESE release exclusives...sigh... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Black Hawk Down SE comes out in the US at the end of June, the only difference is the DTS track

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:

I thought Black Hawk Down: SE was supposed to come out June 3rd.

John.

Brett C

Second Unit
Guess I'll be getting the Jap R2 release of Black Hawk Down since it contains the DTS track...

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
A DD 5.1 track, a DTS track and 3 audio commentaries on one disc. There is a reason why the DTS track was left off the R1 DVD. Not that a halfbitrate DTS track (almost certainly using the same mix as the DD track) will make much of a difference anyway.

Brett C

Second Unit
Yeah there was a reason, instead of the DTS track on the R1, theres a French and Spanish 5.1 DD track! And the difference a DTS track would make, is a matter of opinion...

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the post, I was wavering if I should get the US edition or not. This clinches it for me.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
We have a winner! Brett is correct!

It has nothing to do with "company policy", and frankly, the DD track sounds great so I don't see what the problem is

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
It has nothing to do with "company policy"
It doesn't? Including French and Spanish tracks isn't mandatory in the dvd spec last time I checked... this qualifies as company policy to me. To use alternate language tracks or DTS was the companies decision, and ties in very closely with the fact Superbit titles are the only product from CHTV that gets DTS. BHD:SE isn't a Superbit... so it falls victim to such policies.

The DTS track on this film sounds fantastic btw. I have the first Japanese release.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't? Including French and Spanish tracks isn't mandatory in the dvd spec last time I checked... this qualifies as company policy to me. To use alternate language tracks or DTS was the companies decision, and ties in very closely with the fact Superbit titles are the only product from CHTV that gets DTS. BHD:SE isn't a Superbit... so it falls victim to such policies.
If they want to sell the DVD in Canada or in parts of the US, then the French and Spanish tracks are necessary. While a DTS track would be nice, I don't think that it's necessarily required for the DVD to be a good one.

John.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
French and Spanish language tracks take precedence over DTS in R1 for, I would have thought, obvious reasons.
Yes the reason is obvious.... and is as annoying to me as including a pan and scam version on the disc. I would have thought a 2.0 would suffice for those that can't be bothered to read subtitles.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Honestly, I think adding a second soundtrack having exactly the same content but with only a different codec should not take precedence over adding some totally different languages (like French and Spanish) that are often spoken inside the US and Canada.

In New York I noticed English and Spanish signs in the metro. Obviously serves a purpose.

Cees

CraigL

Screenwriter
Wait a second...

Is the only difference between the US and Japanese versions the DTS track???

CraigL

Screenwriter
I actually just got the american version of BHD today from the MySony deal. I'm tempted not to open it but considering the Japanese 3 disc version is $61...i think I'll pass.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I recently got the (original) Rollerball SE which is anamorphic and has a new doc. Sweet. NOT available here yet for some odd reason..
And "Eyes Wide Shut" which is unaltered, uncensored.
Anyone know how "Night on Earth" looks??? I read on CDJP that it was anamorphic? It's oop now but Amazon.jp still has them. One of my faves and I wonder why it's not out here. It comes as a 2pack with Mystery Train which I'll prob'ly sell if anyone's interested as I saw it once and don't really need it.

:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks