What's new

iTunes Codes --> Vudu for Disney Content (2 Viewers)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Walter-S_NC said:
Just to add to the DMA expansion of Vudu's library, there are now 2D/3D bundles for the below titles:
Phew! That's a LOT of $35.99's! :blink:

Walter-S_NC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter H. Schulze III
a home theater hobby is an expensive one to keep up with.expect a 3D marketing blitz from the folks in Burbank come next Tuesday.Sent from my iPad using HTF

Walter-S_NC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter H. Schulze III
...Tuesday. Dam burst as the Holiday buying season opens w/WDS advertising eye poping 3D streaming.Sent from my iPad using HTF

P

Patrick Donahue

You know I had a thought - how do you think Disney will handle Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, etc in regards to DMA? There's a lot of R rated material there - I can't imagine the Disney name and logo being used with those...

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sam Posten said:
Just like there was a need for Disney to join HDDVD
Huh? Unless I'm not getting the irony, Steve Jobs was on Disney's board at the time, and Disney was the most loyal True Blu supporter. (To keep the next movie format MP4-friendly, and stop Microsoft from gaining the monopoly on WMV.) Disney literally rescued the format away from Sony making a fool of itself trying to sell action movies to PS3 gamers, which is why most of the studios thought HDDVD would be the "grownup" classic-movie format.

You probably meant Disney joining DiVX, for the greedy pay-per-view.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We're saying the same thing. HDDVD supporters were saying for literally years "Once Disney joins HDDVD the format war is over". They waffled for a while, went Blu and stuck with it.
http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2006/03/6374-2/
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/15/the-ipod-phone-at-last-or-maybe-its-just-dnets-dm751/

I'm not sure it parallels current thinking or not wrt UV, but so far they have avoided supporting UV directly and it has worked out well for them. UV fans have been calling for Disney to support the format for literally 3 years now and while you can jimmy support by linking multiple services so far Disney has remained staunchly independent, for the good IMO.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
What I would like to know is, if I link my VUDU account to DMA, will I in turn be able to download copies of all of my UV movies in iTunes? I have always downloaded my copies just in case they are at some point removed from the servers and it would be nice to have the copies all in one place under iTunes. So, basically I am asking does UV=VUDU=DMA=iTunes?

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Sam Posten said:
We're saying the same thing. HDDVD supporters were saying for literally years "Once Disney joins HDDVD the format war is over". They waffled for a while, went Blu and stuck with it.
http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2006/03/6374-2/
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/15/the-ipod-phone-at-last-or-maybe-its-just-dnets-dm751/

I'm not sure it parallels current thinking or not wrt UV, but so far they have avoided supporting UV directly and it has worked out well for them. UV fans have been calling for Disney to support the format for literally 3 years now and while you can jimmy support by linking multiple services so far Disney has remained staunchly independent, for the good IMO.

Good for who, Disney or the consumer?

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
DennisBassi said:
What I would like to know is, if I link my VUDU account to DMA, will I in turn be able to download copies of all of my UV movies in iTunes? I have always downloaded my copies just in case they are at some point removed from the servers and it would be nice to have the copies all in one place under iTunes. So, basically I am asking does UV=VUDU=DMA=iTunes?

Only the Disney movies listed in DMA will link back to itunes....

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Patrick Donahue said:
You know I had a thought - how do you think Disney will handle Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, etc in regards to DMA? There's a lot of R rated material there - I can't imagine the Disney name and logo being used with those...
This really is unfortunate. I hate that all of the Touchstone releases are stranded just because they branded their KeyChest initiative so strongly with the Disney name. Of the major studios, only MGM (with their barely toe-dipping support of UV) and the Touchstone releases do not have some sort of studio-backed digital rights management.

I hope at some point soon Disney will just suck it up and fold the Touchstone releases into this program. Even if they did not show up in the Disney Movies Anywhere app for branding purposes, it would at least be nice if your iTunes, Google Play and Vudu digital copies could play nice together (especially considering there is no disc-to-digital and they price their catalog titles at an extreme $17.99 - $22.99!)

I wonder if Disney will ever try to open up their KeyChest branding (beyond just being a little "Powered By" footnote to DMA?) That might be a good solution for Touchstone titles, and in an ideal world they could try to open KeyChest up to some of the smaller distributers as well (the Criterions and Kino's of the world.)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't think the CFF will hurt DMA at all. Not that many people will use it. I just found out that there will probably not be a big rollout the way we had hoped. It is no longer mandatory, and each retailer can choose if and when to deploy it. Hopefully VUDU will and soon, but you never know. It is available now for any retailers to implement, but so far no one has announced support for it.

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
Joshua Clinard said:
I don't think the CFF will hurt DMA at all. Not that many people will use it. I just found out that there will probably not be a big rollout the way we had hoped. It is no longer mandatory, and each retailer can choose if and when to deploy it. Hopefully VUDU will and soon, but you never know. It is available now for any retailers to implement, but so far no one has announced support for it.
Where did you hear that it's available now?!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I e-mailed a DECE administrator about it and he told me that it's been available for a while now, but at the September meeting the consortium voted to make it optional for retailers. I took that to mean that the filesystem is available for retailers, but its up to them when to offer the downloads to users. I'm hoping that VUDU announces availability at CES, but I am just not as hopeful as I was before when I was expecting a big rollout that Mark Tietell had talked about in July.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks