What's new

It's grillin' time.......... (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I would also recommend his "BBQ Bible" book (most of the recipes are for grilling, not BBQ). One from that book that I like is grilled pineapple:

- 1 large pineapple
- sugar / cinnamon mix (1tbs cinnamon to 1 cup sugar)
- fresh lime zest
- 1-2 tsp of ground cloves
- melted butter
- dark rum (optional)

Combine the lime zest, cloves, sugar & cinnamon. Cut the pineapple into rings. Dip each ring into the melted butter and then cover the ring in the spice mixture. Place the rings on a hot grill for 5min per side. You want some charring but not totally burnt. Remove the pineapple from the grill and flambe the rings with the dark rum. I like this by itself or with some good vanilla ice cream.

I also like grilling veggies. In addition to the grilled corn (listed above), I like the following:

- Grilled onion. Core an onion and shove a beef bullion cube in the hole w. a little bit of water. Wrap in foil and grill until onion is soft. Insanely good on hamburgers.
- Grilled yellow squash and zuchinni. Cut the veggies into long strips and lightly coat them in olive oil, salt, & fresh pepper. Grill for a few minutes on each side.
- Grilled potatoes. Quarter the potato and lightly cover in olive oil, salt and pepper. When cooked all the way through, place them on a pan and cover with some sharp cheese (parmesan, sharp cheddar, etc.). Melt the cheese (broiler, etc.) and serve.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

So uh, when can I come over? :D

something cool I just realized. I had considered a natural gas grill but didn't want to spend the extra money, now that I got a new grill I have two propane tanks, I can fill one and have a spare for when I run out. neat.

I second the dancing chicken recipe. You can buy a neat rack at walmart that holds the beer can and the chicken nicely.
I've never had much luck grilling corn, maybe I'll have to give it another try.
Definitely have to try the scallops. Maybe I can baste them in garlic butter while grilling, sounds good.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I had to replace a rusted out burner (et al.) on my built-in when I moved into my present home. I'm going to install a thermometer in the lid this season, so I can accurately do the "5 hours at 200 degrees" thing.

I like using hickory chips in the bottom of mine. Tastes as good as charcoal to me. I didn't have space for a metal box, so mine have always burned up really quickly, soaked or not. I'll try wrapping them in punctured foil this year.

I'll probably try my first brisket this year, but otherwise I'll just suffer with the same old boring steaks, ground sirloins, Italian sausages and ribs
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
brisket is good if cooked very slow.
My new grill has a heat shield over the burner like the webers (but it's not a weber sadly) so I have plenty of room for a metal box. Does that usually work pretty well?

Alex S

Second Unit

:)

I bought this baby last year !
It's a Kemmore 774 sq. in. Cooking Area Gas Grill with
6-burners,3 reversible cast-iron cooking grids, 13,000 BTU infrared back burner and 12,000 BTU side burners. I also bought a cast iron griddle/grill pan that is custom made for this grill. Great for breakfast.

It is awesome.
Last weekend I made Pinwheels. (It's an Italian specialty.)

Get 2 pieces of skirt or flank steak pounded out to about 1/2 inch thickness. I used two 1 1/2 lb pieces.
They should be the same size after they are pounded out.

Lay 1st piece flat and sprinkle with grated parmesian cheese (enough to just cover surface of meat).
Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Take 2nd peice of meat and put on top of 1st piece.
Sprinkle the 2nd piece with parmesian, salt & pepper.

Now carefully roll up both pieces together.
Cut 1 inch slices (or however thick you want them).
Use a few toothpicks to hold the meat together.
Marinate in soy sauce for a few hours.
Grill on each side until it's the way you like it.
They cook pretty fast because the meat is in strips.
They're not hard to make and can be prepared in advance.
Plus they tatse great !

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
]
:D You could bring your dog (charlie I think) over and we could have a Denver HTF BBQ/Movie/Puppy Meet.:laugh:

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
And what is this beer can chicken a couple of you have mentioned? Sounds interesting. Ive got to get away from this thread, its making way too hungry. Some really good ideas are listed that Im gonna have to try now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Phillip,

Beer can chicken is all the rage. Essentially you take 3/4 of a can of beer and insert it into the posterior end of a roasting chicken. You then stand it up in the grill and roast for a while. The beer adds flavor and keeps the inside meat moist while the skin crisps up really good on the outside. I believe the first use of this method was by the afore mentioned Chef Steven Raichlen.

Do a seach for it, you'll find dozens of recipes.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I thought you putting me on at 1st Jeff, but after a quick search, sure enough, beer can right up the chickens can.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it's pretty good, give it a shot some time.
I had a great recipe I found online, the seasoning rub was just fantastic, but I've since lost it and can't find it :frowning:

it's a little harsh on your propane supply at about 3 hours of cooking though. Propane is damn expensive around here at 15$ a refill, When I lived in north dakota it was between 7 and 8!

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Well, I just got my new smoker box and precision thermometer to fit into the old grill. So, when the smoker box fails to smoulder after an hour on "high", parked near the back of the fire grate, I decide to inspect the grill. It's leaning a bit backward, so perhaps that's why I'm not getting enough heat in back. I think, "Hmm, maybe I can budge it forward and bury some rocks behind it to shore it up."

Creeeakrunch!

The post was badly rusted out. Tsk. It's a damn shame ( :D ) that I have to buy a brand new grill with some of my recent Vegas winnings (4 Queens on Let it Ride) The built-in version of this dealie will be my implement of destruction for the balance of the grillin' season:

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Beer can chicken is NOT Drunken Chicken. Drunken Chicken is a Chinese recipe that involves chicken being steamed and marinated in a rice wine mixture for a day or more. They're both awesome recipes. They're both very different.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Whatever it's called, it's friggin awesome!!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

I just tried it for the 1st time tonight and words cannot describe just how good that chicken was. JUCIEST CHICKEN EVER! A big thanks to everyone who mentioned it here.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Well, I slow grilled my first brisket last week and it was indescribably delicious, but, while it was nowhere near as tough as shoe leather, it was probably pretty close to glove leather. :b

So, what do y'all try for as far as temperature inside the grill head and final internal temperature? I thought 350 degrees F (which is about what I get with the lid closed and one side lit on low) would be too hot, but that seems to be the only way I'm going to get that high internal temperature I've been reading about.

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Here's something I've been doing for the last few years. The flavour is amazing and it's not spicy at all (of course you could add some Jerk Seasoning, but be careful as this stuff is deadly ! Usually about a half Tablespoon gives it a nice 'glow'.)

Serves: 4

2 lbs. chicken pieces (drums and thighs seem to work best)
1/4 cup diced onion
2 tsps. garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
2-3 Tbsp. soy sauce (Kikkoman's Lite)
1 cup GRACE JERK BARBECUE SAUCE
1 Tbsp. sherry

1. Clean chicken .
2. Finely chop onion and garlic.
3. Season chicken with onion, garlic, salt, soy sauce. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for one hour or longer.
4. Shake off excess seasoning from chicken, place on a grill and allow to cook, turning the pieces frequently.
5. Add sherry to the Grace Jerk Barbecue Sauce and use for basting the chicken while cooking.

Lots of cold beer, and one of those pre-packaged Grace "Caribbean" Rice as a side dish and you're off !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.