What's new

It's grillin' time........ (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Since it turned a little warmer, I've been firing up my recently acquired Staublestone grill, and really been into grilling various things. I usually make my own burger patties with chopped onions mixed into the meat, various flavor brats and some occasional chicken. Looking around in a meat market, I discovered a formed frozen burger patty produced by "The Onion Bros." of vidalia onion fame, tried them and they've been a staple of my grilling ever since.
My fav brat has become the George Foreman links and Johnsonville Italian Hot sausage.
Tonight I tried some baby back ribs but wasn't pleased with the results, although my son tore'em up.
Anybody got some grillin' favs to share or some recipes for rib grillin'?

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Along the lines of the frozen burger patties, try the "Bubba Burgers" too, very good, IMHO. I have also grilled Salmon with Great success! Yum:emoji_thumbsup: We have a Weber that we luv. Never had any success with Ribs either, there is a restaurant in New Orleans called Zia Rotisserie that makes some Killer Tai Ribs. WOW!!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, we got out today and did some BBQ ourselves.

Favorites are steak done Jamaican Jerk Style (my wife was born in Jamaica) and Ka-Bobs done with pinneaple and small pieces of other fruits mixed in (best luck so far is with small pieces of cantaloupe next to pieces of pork/chicken..)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
We had our end of the semester party tonight, and ended up grilling ~22 lbs of beef...the cut is called milanesa, basically a very very thin cut with little fat...marinated it in lemon juice, salt, worcestershire and something called Maggi that tastes a lot like soy sauce. It was fantastic.

Anyone have a good sauteed onion recipie for the grill? I really want to add some variety next time, and I've had grilled onions before that were spectacular.

Bob Friend

Stunt Coordinator
For ribs I set my grill to it's lowest setting (which usually equals about 225 degrees) and cook em for a about two hours. Then I turn the heat up and add the sauce and cook for another minute or two. They taste great.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
My steaks are simple, but fantastic. First, as many of you may know: buy a good cut of meat! This can't be emphasized enough. It doesn't matter what you marinade or sprinkle on, you can't turn a Select cut of meat into a good steak. And don't buy from WalMart.

Okay, assuming you've got at least a Choice ribeye (my favorite cut), forget about getting fancy. It's steak. It doesn't need soy sauce or worscheshire (sp?) sauce or ANY marinade, in my opinion. You grill a steak because you love the taste of beef, not as an excuse to soak up some A1. My seasoning is simple, but everyone who has tried it always asks, "My god, what do you put on your steaks?!" Here's the big secret: 4 parts black pepper, 3 parts salt, 1 part garlic powder. Sprinkle that on, rub that in, and grill yourself a medium rare peace of heaven.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Nathan, I agree with you. My spice preference: about half and half garlic powder and paprika. Generous amounts, rub in, both sides. Maybe, on occasion, some pepper.

After that, grill it (or broil it) and have at it! Preferably somewhat rare or medium, for me.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I like skinless, boneless chicken breasts marinated overnite in vinagerette (virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, basil & oregano, a bit of black pepper).

Since I live in Seattle, the only beef I buy is Kobe-style WAGYU beef, the kind served in Japan. (Real KOBE beef is the most tender and delicious beef in the world but costs up to $300 a pound -- Wagyu beef is the same cattle, raised and fed the same way, but grown in the US and not in Kobe, Japan -- therefore it costs 1/10 what real Kobe beef does, but tastes practically the same.) I usually use what Nathan does -- salt & pepper & garlic. Sometimes, if I want to "cheat", I'll use Chef Paul's blackened fish seasoning (which, as far as I can tell, is salt & pepper & garlic with some paprika and chili powder added).

Teriyaki sauce is very easy to make. (Most of the bottled brands include many unnecessary ingredients.) All you need are a good soy sauce, good sake, and sugar to taste. Good soy sauce is easily identified -- the only ingredients should be water, soybeans, wheat, and salt. The presence of corn syrup and/or caramel coloring indicate that the bottle does not contain soy sauce, it contains what we refer to as swill. For the sake, some recipes call for regular "mirin" (sweetened sake) cooking wine, but I reject that on the basis of the rule used in western cooking: don't cook with any wine that isn't good enough to drink straight. Anyway, use equal parts soy sauce and sake, and add sugar to taste. Heat slowly until boiling, then simmer for about a half hour.

There is a bottled marinade I used to like called Chaka's Mmm Sauce. (Regular and Spicy -- I prefer the regular.) I would marinade chicken overnight, then grill and glaze with my favorite barbeque sauce. The Chaka's is smoky and a little salty but not sweet -- complements the bbq sauce wonderfully.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Jack Fanning..... I just knew I could smell some ribs cooking the other day!!! You're close enough that I could drop in for a snack!
Your ribs looks yummy.......

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Slow-cooking ribs is the key. As Bob said, about 2 or 2.5 hours at 250 (even in the oven) will make them fall-off-the-bone tender, and then a few minutes on a hot grill with BBQ sauce, just until slightly charred.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

This is how I cook mine except I smoke mine first (with a dry rub) and then slow cook them in the oven. Afterwards I finish them off on the grill. Sometimes I grill them with the sauce and sometimes I serve the sauce on the side.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree with white chocolate on the soy sauce and chaka's sauce. i use chaka's a *lot* ... people always say it tastes great.

also agree on the over-seasoning thing. for me, my steaks get a light olive oil rub, then kosher salt and fresh ground pepper ... that's it.

also, on my chicken i sometimes like to coat it with old bay seasoning...that tastes pretty good as well.

and...for the love of grillin'...please don't press the meat on the grill. that sizzling may sound nice, but you're squeezing out all the juuices.

oh yeah, don't forget to let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting into it!

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I just gave away my old charcoal grill and bought my very first gas grill - the Weber Genesis Gold C. I always thought charcoal provided the best grilling experience, but I stand corrected: IMO nothing makes steak taste better than the high heat of a gas grill. My new Weber grill makes the best steaks I've ever had in my life.

I put just two things on my steaks: fresh ground salt and fresh ground pepper. I cook the steaks on the grill until the internal temperature is 135 degrees, flipping once halfway through the cooking time. The grill temperature must be very high (650-700 degrees) in order to get that wonderful crust and that perfect "steak on the grill" taste. Maybe it's just me (or my old grills), but I've never been able to get a charcoal grill hot enough to crust the steak properly.

I also use the Brookstone Grill Alert Talking Remote Thermometer. It works perfectly and takes all the frustration and guesswork out of grilling. It's so cool to glance over and see the exact temperature of the meat without even getting up from my chair. "Your entree is ready!" is my new favorite phrase.

I've been grilling 3 times a week since I bought this rig and I'm loving every minute of it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit

If you look at a lot of steak seasoning in the bottle, the three main ingredients are usually salt pepper and garlic.

I like what Ted said about the kosher salt. I've been meaning to try this. However, I tried fresh ground pepper and it was way too peppery. And, I couldn't get as even a distribution across the steak. I'm pleased with plain old McCormick pepper.

John is right about the gas vs charcoal. That's the only way to get the crusty, seared texture that seals in the juices. I've been meaning to upgrade for a while. Maybe this summer I finally will.

However, the BEST steaks are campfire "smoked" over a bed of real wood coals -- especially after hiking 5 miles into the woods with all your gear and a crapload of beers!

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I like using soy sauce as the base and either mixing it with Chinese 5 seasoning and Pepper and depending on the quality of the meat marinading it.

LewB

Screenwriter
Anyone want to share their 'rib rub' recipies ?
I'm looking to start doing ribs and need a rub :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks