What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by darkrock17
has always seemed to do well with the releases form their own classic library, so they be the prefect choice.
Never mind the excessive DNR on their Blu Rays for PATTON, THE LONGEST DAY and BUTCH CASSIDY.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by darkrock17
Fox should get to keep the MGM library. Fox has always seemed to do well with the releases form their own classic library, so they be the prefect choice.
Fox only distribute the MGM titles. I'm sure they are not involved in any remastering or making decisions on what extras to include, etc.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Douglas R
Fox only distribute the MGM titles. I'm sure they are not involved in any remastering or making decisions on what extras to include, etc.
So far, but with the non-interest of the new managers of the company in the library, I understand that it is you do what you want with these titles to whoever obtains them. If there is not a HD ready transfer, then one will have to be produced by the home entertainment releasing company.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
One of the reasons there is so many MGM owned titles coming out on Blu-ray now is that the distribution contract with Fox will expire by the end of this year. Fox put out a lot of money for the distribution rights and is trying to get some of that back before the agreement runs out. It would also devalue the library for whoever ends up with control, which still could be Fox.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ahollis
One of the reasons there is so many MGM owned titles coming out on Blu-ray now is that the distribution contract with Fox will expire by the end of this year. Fox put out a lot of money for the distribution rights and is trying to get some of that back before the agreement runs out. It would also devalue the library for whoever ends up with control, which still could be Fox.
It looks like MGM's library is going to stay with Fox, actually; the MGM board was impressed by their handling of the Bond titles. Sony would handle newer titles, particularly those that are co-productions. That would be good news, that's for sure.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark Cappelletty

It looks like MGM's library is going to stay with Fox, actually; the MGM board was impressed by their handling of the Bond titles. Sony would handle newer titles, particularly those that are co-productions. That would be good news, that's for sure.
Still no firm decision, but not the best news, but certainly not the worst. The best case would be for MGM to re-energize their own department and do it themselves with good competent people. But alas that will be an unfilled dream.

LimeiBook86

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Blu-ray.com has released the news that It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is making it's Blu-Ray debut as Wal-mart exclusive title. No specs are known yet, so we have to wait to see. Thankfully we only have to wait two weeks, as it's being released on July 5th 2011. It may be bare-bones, but at least it opens the doors to an extended version down the road (hopefully!)

Some more information here: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6724

The price is $19.99 but Walmart's site shows it currently on sale for $9.99! I hope it'll be as long as the LaserDisc version, but at this point any HD version is welcome!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by LimeiBook86
Blu-ray.com has released the news that It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is making it's Blu-Ray debut as Wal-mart exclusive title. No specs are known yet, so we have to wait to see. Thankfully we only have to wait two weeks, as it's being released on July 5th 2011. It may be bare-bones, but at least it opens the doors to an extended version down the road (hopefully!)

The price is $19.99 but Walmart's site shows it currently on sale for $9.99! I hope it'll be as long as the LaserDisc version, but at this point any HD version is welcome!
There has been a lot of discussion on the below HFT thread in the Blu-ray Forum.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/312369/it-s-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world-7-5-another-wal-mart-exclusive

A lot of questions have been raised and some even answered. It is not the extended Roadshow version.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
Originally Posted by LimeiBook86

I hope it gets to other stores rather quickly. I refuse to give Wal-Mart any of my money.

Roger Addams

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger Addams
There is a Ultra Panavision (anamrophic 70mm) print of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World with a DTS sound track that is in good to fair condition. It was run at the Cinerama Dome not too long ago and may be run again this year in September.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Roger Addams
There is a Ultra Panavision (anamrophic 70mm) print of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World with a DTS sound track that is in good to fair condition. It was run at the Cinerama Dome not too long ago and may be run again this year in September.
You are not the only one. But someone states something is happening at "XXXXX" but the rest of the world does not know where.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Was the film cut down during it's Roadshow run or after when it went into general release in 35mm. I'm guessing it was during the Roadshow run or else the 70MM prints would be at the original lenght?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
Was the film cut down during it's Roadshow run or after when it went into general release in 35mm. I'm guessing it was during the Roadshow run or else the 70MM prints would be at the original lenght?
It was cut within the first weeks of its roadshow run. I saw the film when it first opened in London and it had already been cut - only about a month after its New York and LA openings. So most people saw it as a 70mm roadshow saw it at its current length.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Silent film comedienne Minta Durfee has long been listed as making a cameo appearance in IAMMMMW.
Many thanks in advance if someone can clarify if it is indeed Minta Durfee appearing (alongside Edie Adams and Dorothy Provine) in the last screen cap here:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews56/its_a_mad_mad_mad_mad_world_blu-ray.htm
ImdB lists Minta Durfee as "Woman in Final Crowd Scene".

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
In the IAMMMMW screenplay there is a scene with Benjy Benjamin, Ding Bell, a sunbathing blonde and a bottle of suntan oil. For a still (probably an on-set photo) of this scene, go here and scroll down:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8120
The scene was set on the grounds of the private airfield where Benjy and Ding meet Tyler Fitzgerald. Don´t know if the scene was ever included in the Road Show or the preview cut.
The link takes you to an article that seems to be based on the original souvenir book (at least partly). Think I recognize some of the text. Article also includes lots of vintage ads (including contributions by Jack Davis).

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Stefan Andersson said:
Silent film comedienne Minta Durfee has long been listed as making a cameo appearance in IAMMMMW.
Many thanks in advance if someone can clarify if it is indeed Minta Durfee appearing (alongside Edie Adams and Dorothy Provine) in the last screen cap here:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews56/its_a_mad_mad_mad_mad_world_blu-ray.htm
ImdB lists Minta Durfee as "Woman in Final Crowd Scene".
Here is a later photo of her:
c71ed1d0_durfee.jpeg

I'd say it's her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks