What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Article and images from cast and crew reunion at the recent Academy 70mm film festival showing of Mad World:
http://www.oscars.org/events/70mm/mad-world.html
Don´t miss the separate photo gallery from the event (look for link on screen left)
Karen Kramer talks Mad World and preparing a 10-film DVD box set for the 2013 Stanley Kramer centenary here:
http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2012/07/wamgs-interview-with-stanley-kramers-wife-karen-kramer-its-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world-screening-kicks-off-the-academys-the-last-70mm-film-festival-series/

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I had resisted FOR YEARS to see Metropolis (1927) because it was in an incomplete and butchered state. I had held out hope that a complete version would one day surface and be released, and it happened! Now I have seen it and it is one of my favorite movies.

I am holding out hope that a complete, 210 (Is that right?) minute version of IAMMMMW will be released.

Is this wishful thinking on my part? What is the state of the film? Can someone post a link to a recent post or something about this film?

Should I just buy the current Blu?

Thanks.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
battlebeast said:
I had resisted FOR YEARS to see Metropolis (1927) because it was in an incomplete and butchered state. I had held out hope that a complete version would one day surface and be released, and it happened! Now I have seen it and it is one of my favorite movies.
I am holding out hope that a complete, 210 (Is that right?) minute version of IAMMMMW will be released.
Is this wishful thinking on my part? What is the state of the film? Can someone post a link to a recent post or something about this film?
Should I just buy the current Blu?
Thanks.
The 210 minutes included the 15 minute intermission. So, the actual movie was around 195 minutes. But that was only for the first few weeks or month of the premiere. It was shorted after that and that is what most people saw at Cinerama theatres.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, buy the current Blu. Upgrade if another becomes available, which seems unlikely at this point.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
rmw650 said:
I hope the expanded 210 minute version DOES come out for the 50th Anniversary of this film next year. I have the 192 minute VHS version of it, but only heard of the 210 minute version of this film when it first premiered back in 1963. If this comes out, definitely a buy for me. I'd love to see the 5.5 hour uncut version though. THAT would be a treat!
There never was a 210 minute version. That version included a 15 minute break where you could go to the bathroom, buy food, etc. The 192 minute version on VHS and Laser Disc had about 30 minutes of scenes that were cut before the premiere.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Ok, so let me get this strait: the current Blu Ray is the BEST version ever released? it has ALL the scenes from the Original 1963 premier? Or is it still missing some scenes?

Metropolis, when restored and released in 2010, was the best version ever available since the first week it was released in 1927. That's what I'm looking for in IAMMMMW.

Just want to be sure I am getting the most complete version of the film. If not, I'll wait for a possible 50th aniv. release.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Ok, having JUST read the IMDB, It sounds like the 192 minute version is 186 minutes with an entr'act and Overture. Or am I wrong and the footage is 192 min PLUS Overture and Entr'Act = 210? I am confused.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
MGM has shown no interest in spending the money to restore this film, and too much time may have pased for it to be done at all now.
The Current BD offers the General Release theatrical cut of the film, with a collection of deleted scenes in no particular order outside the film. Some of these scenes were in the 192 min Roadshow, and some were cut prior to that edit. There is no noting which is which on the disc.
Barring a change in attitude and/or management at MGM and great fortune where the elements are concerned, there will be no better version of this film forthcoming.
So your wait for a "complete" version would most likely be in vain.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think there's less then a 2% chance of better or more complete version anytime soon.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
rmw650 said:
Curious, where did you get your information from that makes you so sure of what you say? Unless you know someone at MGM or you actually are an employee of that company, how do we all know your information is factual? I'm just asking you an upfront question here, nothing more.
Do a little searching around this thread and elsewhere on the board and read the posts of Robert Harris. He is intimately acquainted with all the ins and outs of this situation.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
rmw650 said:
Warren, there is extra footage in that VHS version as I know it because I own it and I rewatched it and it has those extras that were part of a special feature included DVD from 2004 that were scrapped but re-included in the VHS version. In other words, if you get the VHS version, the extra stuff is on there; if you get the DVD or Blu-ray version, it is shown as supplements/bonus features.
The VHS/Laserdisc long cut of the film is improperly edited. It contains both scenes from the proper roadshow version as well as scenes not intended to be in any released cut. They just edited in everything they had.
This footage does not exist in sufficient quality to be integrated back into the film and maintain a consistent look.
In the case of Metropolis, poor footage was used as it was decided to be the best solution and the only way to present the nearly complete film.
In the case of Mad World, a different choice was made.
If you want to see more done with this title, make your wishes known to MGM. They hold all the cards in this game.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
For those in the NY area Lincoln Center is having a 15 film 70MM festival beginning December 21 including a 197 minute version of Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Restored 70mm print!
IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1963) 197m
Director: Stanley Kramer
Made during the short-lived vogue for “epic” comedies featuring a who’s-who of special guest stars (see Around the World in 80 Days and Pepe), Stanley Kramer’s guiltily pleasurable madcap romp begins with a car accident in the Mojave Desert, in which the victim (Jimmy Durante) uses his dying breath to inform five passing motorists (played by legendary comics Sid Caesar, Jonathan Winters, Mickey Rooney, Buddy Hackett and Milton Berle) of $350,000 in buried treasure that can be found under a “big W” in Santa Rosita State Park. Thus, the race is on, with grizzled police captain Spencer Tracy and an ever-increasing cavalcade of fortune hunters in hot pursuit. Featuring dozens of cameos by the likes of Jack Benny, Buster Keaton, Jerry Lewis and even The Three Stooges, It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World further enhanced its epic-ness by shooting in the ultra-wide Ultra Panavision 70 format, also known as single-camera Cinerama, yielding a 2.76:1 aspect ratio. Originally premiered at 210 minutes, then drastically cut to 154 minutes during its initial release, It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is here presented in a beautifully restored Ultra Panavision 70 print running 197 minutes.
Saturday, December 22, 2:00pm
Friday, December 28, 5:15pm

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
rmw650 said:
So now there's a 197 minute version of this film? I'm sure hoping MGM will make a 50th anniversary edition of this in 2013 or a 210 minute edition, if it even exists. Now that would be cool!
No, that was a typo, it's 154 minutes.
There never was a 210 minute version. The extra minutes were for the intermission time.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Joe Lugoff said:
Quote: Originally Posted by mike-- It just doesn't seem fair to have this film along with a couple others ( The Alamo-the John Wayne version, and Hawaii ) be given 'restored version' treatment with laserdiscs and VHS issues.........and nothing for DVD!!! Let's start campaigning for a completely restored version for the film's 50th anniversary in 2013. That'll give them 6 years to work on it.
Actually it's 7 years, but close Joe!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks