What's new

Is this a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have Bose 301 series IV as my front and a Sony speaker as my center. The Sony was from a real bad HTiB system. I will be upgrading in about two year (money issues). Would it be a wise idea to buy a Bose center speaker? Or should I stick with my Sony center.

This is the Bose i'm looking at Bose Center

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Save your money and when you have the funds to buy a new center in 2 years, go to all the stores and listen to what they have in your budget. I doubt Bose is going to upgrade their center-channel in the meantime, but in case they do, you shouldn't get your choices made if they will just fliup the product on you.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
You think that i will hear no significant important from what i currently have by buying the Bose? I plan on doing an upgrade in 2 to 3 years of the whole speaker system. This would just be a patch till then. Do you still feel the same way?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is about one of the worst centers out there, and while it would probably be an upgrade from something you consider crap, it won't be a great center by any means. It does not feature the same drivers as the 301s, so it will not be an ideal timbre match for them, so I'd have to agree with Garrett on waiting until you can afford something better. You could also look around for some other speakers in your price range that would be better than that one.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
What would be a match for my fronts? My problem is that the voice when i watch a movie is so low compared to the action.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
If the center speaker level is lower than the mains, that "might" be that the receiver speaker levels aren't set up properly, not neccessarily the center channel speaker. This might be a receiver issue rather than a speaker isse. But if I wanted to upgrade my center, and I had a $200 budget, I would go the used route. You can get a pretty good used center channel speaker for $200. Whatever you get won't timber match your mains anyhow, so don't be too overly concerned about the drivers not being the same. Get the best quality speaker you can. Its got to be better than what you have. But you really need to look at your receiver set up first.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
So there is no way of matching my Bose fronts? What center would you guys recommened I check out? I still need to buy a spl meter and calibrate my speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks