What's new

Is the Pioneer Pioneer SC-1222 worth buying now on sale a good deal or is there something better to (1 Viewer)

thomasterrible

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Laughlin
I have a home theater set up right now which I plan to keep but want a second one for a different location that I would like to start buying components for as I can afford them, and as really good sales come along. The Pioneer SC-1222-K is on sale for $529 right now and I am trying to decide if this is a good time to get one on sale at this price or if it is likely to find it or something better in the next several months for the same price? It is much less expensive right now than I see it priced at other locations. Just don't want to pass up a good deal I am not likely to get the same or better deal a bit later down the road. The VSX-30 has worked well with the current set up and is one reason I am attracted to the upgraded model for use with the new system. My current system consists of Pioneer Elite VSX-30 receiver Panasonic BD-210 Blu Ray player Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system Energy CF-30 front tower speakers Epson Home Cinema 8350 projector 120 inch screen I am going to be purchasing components as I find what I like on sales. I realize it might be difficult to ask for advice when I don't yet know what the other components will be but in general I am wanting to have a 3D capable projector and a larger screen. I am going to be taking my time purchasing components to get really good deals as well as fit in to my budget. Still any advice would be appreciated. If I felt that I would be able to purchase the receiver for the same price in the future I would wait but have no way of knowing if that will be the case or not.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The current 1022/1122/1222 are on "burn 'em" sale prices. In "retail lingo"..."burn 'em" means they are taking up space...get rid of them. Their replacements will pop up on Amazon sometime next month. Based on "pricing strategy"...the 522 and 822 are already gone...waiting for their replacements.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 1022 has the standard version of MCACC. I wouldn't consider it as a replacement for the VSX-30 unless you are on a real tight budget. It's really a lateral move. From a "features" standpoint I'm not sure the 1222 is worth it, but it does have the Class D amps that seem to get a lot of love. The 1122 has quite a bit more features than the 1022...quite a bit more. If my memory serves me well (50/50 chance) the Elite vsx-30 was similar to the Pioneer 920, which is on the same level now as the 1022 (Pioneer droped the 900 series from it's lineup last year. I'd get the 1122 if you listen at moderate levels or the 1222 if you really like to crank it up for extended periods. The Onkyo, Denon and maybe Marantz (but not really) refurbs from ac4l.com are probably the best over-all values, especially with the 3 or 5 year extended warranties, but if you like your current Pioneer then no reason to get anything else. I'm currently using an Elite vsx-23 and a Marantz 6005. I'm keeping the Pioneer but still on the fence about the Marantz.

thomasterrible

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Laughlin
So if the 1222-K is being sold at a discount for replacement. Though on Amazon it is still priced at $1000 and all but one store I am seeing it is still going for upwards of $800. That is one of the reasons for my interest is that it is so much less expensive than other sellers. What would the replacement models be and have to offer and at a price point that would be justified for that? If there is going to be some new technology for a similar price or have the Bluetooth adapter or network adapter included instead of extra cost accessories (which would be nice IMO) though I might not be affected too much if I can do the same thing as I am now and run an Ethernet cable since the proximity to my router is close to my current home theater. If there is some new technology coming out that I don't know about that would be good information. If there is going to be a better receiver for the same price then of course I will wait for it.

thomasterrible

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Laughlin
The D amp was one attractive feature. Yes there was an equivalent receiver to the VSX-30 though I forget what that was. I got the VSX-30 as it seemed to do what I needed and I got it for a really good price plus it got the two year warranty vs the 1 year for the non-elite series. It just seems like it is near half the price of what it costs other places right now and for the past month. I let it go through one sale and now it is back on sale but still holding the same price on Amazon and in internet searches. It seems like a good deal if it is a nicer receiver than the one I already have as I plan to upgrade from my current system a step as I can afford so a bit nicer amp etc. would be good to have. I honestly had an easy set up with the systems own speaker set up system which I just tweaked a bit. The speakers have worked really great for me too. Same with the projector which I just changed the lamp on after 3000 hours of non-eco mode use. So keeping with a Pioneer receiver for the second system that is a better model and not a huge price seems to be a reasonable move for me. I am just not up on upcoming tech or models that might be the same price for a lot more features. Like the included Bluetooth or Wireless I mentioned. Just trying to decide if this is something to jump on or be sorry when it costs more later or if a replacement is better and no more money that is coming soon, Trying to become slightly more informed. Thanks for the reply

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The relacement will be in the $1100-$1200 range. Receivers being sold at year-end closeout prices, or as factory refurbs, are the best bang for the buck. I have no idea what new features will be found on any new receivers. There may still be some 1222's left when the 1223's (or whatever) come out but no gaurantee's. Right now the 1122 and 1222 are about the best pricing you're going to see for a while, for Pioneers. If you wait a little longer you might find a better deal, or might not. Snooze, and you may lose. Since the vsx-30 was based on the Pioneer 920 you would be getting a receiver two model years newer and a step or two above. Whether it's worth it or not is hard to say. I think it would be. Also check ac4l.com first though.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only changes I see...like most years... Twin HDMI output wil drop down to the next AVR for those companies that didn't drop them down last year. Zone 2 HDMI will probably drop to the next level down as well(except maybe Denon since they are already the lowest priced AVR with it) Maybe Airplay lifts its "zone 2" restriction...(haha, yeah right) Networking features might make it to "self-powered Zone 2"...for once...(at a price where it becomes worth it...not just a by-product of a $1500+ AVR)

thomasterrible

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Laughlin
OK thanks, That is pretty much what I was thinking but without any hard evidence to go by it is still over $500. On the other hand I am just not prepared to spend over a grand on this system as I think I can get a quality I am happy with at this price. Especially considering how well the VSX-30 has worked out if I upgrade to this model and get the D3 amplification and a few better features I think it will work out fine. My other choice is to wait and see what I can get for the same price later and that is the real question though from the feedback here it does not sound like anything that will affect me. I may not even use some of the features like the Airplay or HTC connect etc. because I am currently using android and PC instead of apple products and really wish that they would incorporate Bluetooth in to the receiver instead of making it a $200 add on which I think is ridiculous. I think that should come with the receiver as well as their extra cost wireless device. Especially considering the non sales price of over $1000. If the changes are minor such as Sam suggests such as the HDMI and zone 2 mods etc. then I think I would regret not buying this now while I can get something I think is pretty decent and at a price that fits in to my budget which won't be any larger later on. I am happy that I have a Harmony 1100 remote to control everything including the room lighting that I got new for $200 last year when I bought the current system I have. I very well might want to get another at some point. For me that is better than having the Iphone/Ipad type controls. Speakers are going to be my biggest issue of cost vs performance. It was made easier for me with the current system as the Take 5.1 system was on sale and the CF-30's while they were "on sale" for $325 each a year ago (as are they today at the same place) I talked a salesman at an online stereo retailer to sell them to me for $300 for the pair. Taking some months to put this together will allow me to do that sort of bargain shopping again I am pretty sure. I don't know if it would be reasonable to think that I could include as front towers a pair of McIntosh XR6 speakers I have that are literally in showroom new condition simply because of the advancements in speaker technology since they were made. I know a lot more about guitar amps and speakers where old tech is often the way to go. I have some high end all tube amps from Mesa and Ashdown that I really love and are still current as far as professional use. So I guess I have a bit of research and learning to do regarding home theater speakers this time around. That's all really off topic of course but something I have been pondering so though I would mention it. My hope is to have the larger screen. 3D since there is barely enough content out there now for me to include it though I still consider it secondary to the picture quality. And yes I will likely be cranking it up more than the current receiver for both movies as well as playing more music though the system. Other than having new feature films that one can't get on Blu Ray I have liked the in home theater enough to not go to movie theaters much anymore. I really love my home theater and hope that this second one will be an improvement on my first attempt that turned out well. I appreciate the advice to help me get to that end when money is tight and I need to make a few quick decisions! I feel a bit better about snatching up this model while on sale. I don't think I will be crying about it when the new model comes out for twice the price.

thomasterrible

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Laughlin
Maybe they will include 4K pass through? I don't think that will stop me from my order since it is probably going to be a long time before I am willing to spend the sort of money a 4K projector will cost for several years at which time who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks