What's new

Is Assault on Precinct 13 OOP? (1 Viewer)

Dedrick

Agent
As I was looking around to purchase this recently, I noticed most places either don't have it in stock or (as in the case of DVD Empire) it is completely gone from the website. With a check of Ebay, it is selling for 30.00 or 40.00 dollars with one idiot trying to sell it for 90.00. Does anybody know if this has gone out-of-print? I did find that www.lasercorner.com has it in stock and I ordered one. If you want it you should go over their and get it quick.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Interestingly enough, Image's own database (Link Removed) still lists the disc as being "Active." Perhaps they're in between production runs? Either that, or they're in need of an improved database (which is disappointing, given that I often rely on them for information). Anyway, I've got the original release, but I'll gladly buy a new release if they do a new video transfer, as the original's picture quality leaves much to be desired.
DJ

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Kept my Image Laserdisc and avoided the R1 DVD. And excited was I, to learn the R2 release was anamorphic when it was released a couple of years ago. Then I read a review, and anamorphic though it was, the movie had been CROPPED to 16:9 from 2.35:1. Shudder. I even caught a beautiful anamorphic 2.35:1 showing on FilmFour a while back. Looked FANTASTIC.

Anyway, here's to a region 1 re-release! But will a 5.1 remix sound as good as the mono PCM track on the Laserdisc? I don't think so...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Whoo, folks - not another Carpenter DVD I'm gonna have to buy in 2003 is it!? ;) Great stuff. AP13 is one of the all-time great low-budget movies - and it was shot in Panavision! Who'da thunk of it? Wouldn't mind a pristine THX version with DTS and a new interview with JC. Keep the old commentary though, it's one of the best ever recorded. Hope JC does a comm for the SE of Dark Star. "What a beautiful way to die - as a falling star..."
Indeed. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Gordon

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Assault... is one of my alltime favorites! I hope that allusion to a possible re-release in the future comes true!!!!!!!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I was just getting around to buying this DVD so imagine my disappointment to learn it's OOP.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hopefully it get's a new OAR anamorphic transfer on any new DVD, and yes, please keep the old Commentary track, it is one of my favorites.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
So it's the same DVD, just a new pressing...damn it.
Image presents the film in its eye-opening 2.35:1 aspect ratio, in non-anamorphic widescreen. This was one of Image's earlier DVD releases, and Assault's non-anamorphic transfer is more than acceptable. The print looks very clean and well saturated, and is a much different experience than watching it on cropped VHS tapes. Seeing John Carpenter's elaborate frame compositions in their intended ratio is truly a sight to behold. For a film over 25 years old, the clarity and sharpness of the transfer is quite spectacular. Unfortunately, the transfer is burdened by a few grainy and blemish ridden night sequences. There is also some light artifacting present as well, but the entire length of these scenes is minimal compared to the fine transfer of the rest of the film. Overall though, even despite the lack of anamorphic enhancement this is still a fine transfer.
Yes, but he leaves out the bad compression, EE and pixilation that this DVD (and most early Image discs) has, unless they remastered this current DVD.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ok so the DVD is being re-issued? Why is it NOT available on any e-tailers like amazon or DVD Empire? Even the HorrorDVDs review states it's out of print.
I say we all drop a message to Image and let 'em know the DVD needs to be made available again.
Image Entertainment Inc.
9333 Oso Avenue
Chatsworth, CA 91311
Telephone: 818-407-9100
Fax: 818-407-9111
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site: Link Removed
-----------
Martin W. Greenwald, President
Image Entertainment Inc.
9333 Oso Avenue
Chatsworth, CA 91311
Telephone: 818-407-9100
Fax: 818-407-9151

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael,

The re-release date is 11/27 as far as I know. Not supposed to be available yet.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Greg, where did you hear of this re-issue?
November 27th is a Wednesday which is rather odd for a release date.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Some GRRRRRRRRRRReat news!!!!!!
I got a swift reply from Image tonight! Check it out!
-------------
Date: Sun, Oct 6, 2002, 10:37pm (EDT-3)
To: 'my address removed' (Michael Allred) Subject: Re: Question about DVD
We will be reissuing it in a better edition. Don't have the date right now.
-------------
A "better" edition? Whoo-hoo!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 is a masterpiece, and while I already have the original DVD version, I will still be highly anticipating the better version until it is released!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Michael you're the man. Thanks for the update about Assualt dvd, looks like another JC to be added to my collection.

Too bad, They Live r2 has not shipped to my home today, I guess tomorrow then.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Oscar, aren't the Momentum horror DVDs (ie. They Live, Prince Of Darkness, The Changeling etc) not out until the 21st? www.play247.com list it as 21st, so does Amazon.co.uk!
Which e-tailer did you order from?
Got to get Warners boxset of Curse Of Frankenstein, Horror Of Dracula and The Mummy from www.play247.com as it only costs £25.99! Bargain! :emoji_thumbsup:
Great stuff, Oscar!
Gordy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Gordon
You're right ofcourse. I was confused with Straw Dogs which is suppoused to come out today or tomorrow. Now I know why there was no dvd this morning.
Two more weeks without They Live
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks