What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"Inside Out" by Pixar (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
TonyD said:
It's upsetting to me everytime I see anyone say things like that about sadness and depression.

They are real and might be an epidemic
Problem.

One cannot simply stop being sad or depressed. Research.
Totally agree. Lost my first wife 8 years ago at age 40 to an aneurysm....in about an hour my life went from great to shit (it's great again now). Some may think my (and my children's) sadness and depression was a "waste of energy" but hopefully they never have to go through an experience like that.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
There's an excellent piece on INSIDE OUT in the New York Post today that frames the issues in a way that finally makes sense to me and actually makes me want to see the film:

http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/the-genius-of-inside-out-making-happiness-the-bad-guy/

Here's one quote from it:
We all (understandably) want to be happy. But “Inside Out” raises the question our culture needs to confront: Can we be always happy without consequences — and are those consequences worth it?

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
SilverWook said:
Whoops!

http://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStory/ohio-theatre-switches-horror-movie-disney-film-31995004

I'll bet this sort of thing didn't happen before the mad rush to digital projection. :lol:

I went to see MENACE II SOCIETY at a multiplex that was showing DENNIS THE MENACE at the screen next door. So what do I see when I walk in, but a mother and two young children. I was tempted to point out her mistake but ran the risk of offending someone who might possibly be there because she genuinely wanted to see MENACE II SOCIETY with her children. Well, after the endless trailers (all for R-rated movies) the movie began and the woman realized her mistake as O-dog and his buddy are hassling the Korean shop owners (prior to murdering them in cold blood), so she hustled the kids out, but the boy (about 7 or 8) wanted to stay and see it. The audience laughed.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I really doubt that a projectionist messed up since most theaters don't have them anymore. Someone messed up programming the computer.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yep, still referred to as protectionist sometimes though.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw this last night, and thought it was terrific in every way. If this doesn't get a nomination for Best Picture, they should disband the Academy and melt down Oscar, because the awards will have lost all relevance. Amy Poehler was perfect as Joy, and the rest of the cast fit their roles equally well. Loved "Lava," too - possibly the best accompaniment to yesterday's news that there could have been.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story 3 were both nominated for Best Picture. I predict Inside Out will too.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture. A first. Toy Story 3 was nominated for best animated feature. Big difference. Inside Out Will definitely be nominated for the latter.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wasn't that before they added the new animated cat?

Oh now I see Tino's post.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Tino said:
Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture. A first. Toy Story 3 was nominated for best animated feature. Big difference. Inside Out Will definitely be nominated for the latter.
No. Toy Story 3 won best animated feature. It was also nominated for best motion picture of the year. Check it out on IMDb, or Wikipedia or elsewhere.

Pixar's Up was also nominated for Best Picture, in addition to winning best animated feature.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sam Favate said:
No. Toy Story 3 won best animated feature. It was also nominated for best motion picture of the year. Check it out on IMDb, or Wikipedia or elsewhere.
Pixar's Up was also nominated for Best Picture, in addition to winning best animated feature.
You're absolutely right Sam. Both Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated for best picture along with best animated feature after the best picture category was increased to potentially 10 nominees. I stand corrected.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My quick take: Given that this is a film focusing on showcasing 5 emotions of an 11-12 year old girl in the face of her life changing in major ways, there is nothing wrong with feelings stemming from these emotions, as in the end, it's about making peace with the bittersweetness of change, while allowing growth in the complexities of these emotions as we humans grow older.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I started this thread with a dismal view of the trailer. Fortunately, they did not reveal the full nature of Inside Out.

It was a rich, mature movie. It competes with Toy Story 2, for dealing with profound human experiences, made safe by animation and deft metaphor.

It isn't my favorite. It isn't a rollicking adventure that's rewatchable. It's too potent to be rewatched soon.

But it was a superb cinematic experience. I'm glad to have been wholly wrong in my expectations.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
My wife took the kids today. My wife liked it a lot but wasn't blown away by it. Same for the boys, they liked it but aren't gushing about it the way they have after some other movies they've liked.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
The thing I didn't like in my viewing was the animated short LAVA. It was terrible. Possibly the worst short that PIXAR has ever made. The first thing that came to mind when she erupted and rose to the surface was the thought that now he'll never have a moments peace. I'm really tired of Hollywoods cliched "true love" nonsense: that every guy or woman is pining for someone to be in their life and that you can't be complete if you are not with someone.

I agree that "Lava" was bad. It seems like Pixar/Disney feel an unending need for anthropomorphized objects that fall in love. Some of these are cute/fun, but a lonely volcano might be the dumbest idea to come down the chute - and prominently turning "lava" into a pun made it even worse...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this today and liked it - thought it was inventive and entertaining.

Not quite sure why so many seem to think it's this super-downer of a movie, though. It has some emotional moments but it seems more like a comedic journey than anything else.

You guys make it sound like a Bergman movie! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks