What's new

"Inside Out" by Pixar (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Not true.
What were the other ones? Maybe some of the jokes from the emotions fall into that category but I found that to be tit for tat where they made fun of both male and female stereotypes rather than the hack "Women are geniuses and men are barely smarter than chimps" jokes that are prevalent today.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I'm struggling to think of any 'dumb men' jokes.. if you refer to the

Joke about the car rolling backwards at the dino park, that wasn't a 'dumb guy' joke, I took it as just a goofy moment joke..

Besides which, the guy also had several moments of being in tune with his daughter, especially in the final scene, and his speech to her was one of the two big interactions she had with her parents. More than that, you had a ton of flashbacks for how much he loved his daughter, encouraged her, brought her into sports.. like I said, I thought it was a great portrayal of a pretty good dad :)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
mattCR said:
And, FYI, not only is it the only "poke fun at men" joke there are jokes that poke fun at women too (her imagination moment); but there is also a "great dad" moment, in fact, several of them, as we see it was his idea to support his daughter at the end. (This is no spoiler) and there are other great dad moments along the way, including one of the most touching moments in the film near the end, when he talks to his daughter.

I think if you're looking for this film to be a bash on anyone, you didn't watch it. As a dad, I thought the dad character - for as little time as it got - was well realized and a pretty good guy.

Younger kids in our theater loved it. Most of the truly sad moments are poignant sad that younger kids "get" but not in the same nostalgic way that I think adults do... I think for adults, it takes on a whole different feeling.. especially the moments of baby memories, things we remember and forget, what we chose to remember and forget.. and what builds our personality.

These are really complex things for kids; but the storytelling is fun and they enjoyed it.

There are adult jokes that killed me "It's Cloud Town, Jake" :) and there are cute moments for kids too.. this is a really multi-level film that I've thought about a lot since I watched it...

Also.. while it is a throw away moment, at the very end we realize this is going on with everyone, and the moment inside the boy at the hockey rink's mind? May be the best explanation of what it felt to be a teen boy I've seen in a film :)
This was our experience too. Our young kids including a preschooler loved it and want to see it again while it really hit with me and the wife. It does tackle complex themes that seem geared toward an older audience, but none of the kids in our showing were bored. I also know people without kids who saw it and loved it. It is truly a "multi-level" film, as Matt said.

I thought it was brilliant and beautiful.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yep the Dino car roll, the deer in headlights hockey kid, and a few others in the end review come to mind. The father comes off as a bit of a goof the whole film and is played as oblivious to his daughters feeling throughout. It's not a big deal to me but he is more the brunt of jokes than as sympathetic character especially as the mother expresses desire for the one that got away as acravishing, exciting alternative.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw a 10 am showing. About 20 people with about 10 kids. Pretty much silence throughout except for a few chuckles. Didn't seem like the kids were that into it. Just an example of a useless anecdotal experience. [emoji13]

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Just got back. Definitely Pixars most imaginative, cerebral emotional film to date. Also it's saddest. For a film with Joy as a main character, there was little joy in the film. It is almost relentlessly sad and depressing. Incredibly smart and pretty to look out but for me it was not entertaining.

Might be my least favorite Pixar film. I would give it **1/2 out of ****

By the way, I don't have children and that may have added to my opinion. I think parents may enjoy it more but I can't see kids having a great time at this film.

What would you have given this film if it had been a live-action film covering the same themes? It' s amazing how a film that is cerebral and emotional gets what amounts to a C+. Is that because it's animated and animated films are only supposed to be funny and stupid?

It really annoys me that, as an animation fan, the only big budget Hollywood animated films that get made are tired musical comedies because people on this continent think the only thing animated films are good for is to be funny and innocuous.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Edwin-S said:
What would you have given this film if it had been a live-action film covering the same themes? It' s amazing how a film that is cerebral and emotional gets what amounts to a C+. Is that because it's animated and animated films are only supposed to be funny and stupid?

It really annoys me that, as an animation fan, the only big budget Hollywood animated films that get made are tired musical comedies because people on this continent think the only thing animated films are good for is to be funny and innocuous.
Personally, I do prefer my cartoons cartoony. I think it's the wrong format for heavy handed life lesson messages. It just doesn't ring true to me. Pixar can of course make whatever they want. I just wish they'd be honest about what kind of movie it is and stop putting out disingenuous ad campaigns that make these things out to be riotously funny!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Squire said:
Personally, I do prefer my cartoons cartoony. I think it's the wrong format for heavy handed life lesson messages. It just doesn't ring true to me. Pixar can of course make whatever they want. I just wish they'd be honest about what kind of movie it is and stop putting out disingenuous ad campaigns that make these things out to be riotously funny!

I like my movies to entertain me, whether they are live action or animated. I don't need animated films to fit into some narrow format. Animation is a medium, not a genre. As far as I am concerned it can tell any kind of story, the same as live action. Nobody tells filmmakers in live action that their medium is only suitable for one kind of story, so why should filmmakers in animation be crammed into a stifling box as far the stories they can tell?

I will agree that Pixar shouldn't have to use misdirection in their campaigns; however, considering that animation is considered second rate film making on this continent, I can see why they do it. The narrow scope that supposed film fans expect animation to occupy virtually forces them to advertise their films as funny precisely because of your attitude: that animation is the "wrong format" to tell anything serious.

If they told the "truth" and advertised that "InsideOut" really isn't that funny, almost nobody on this backward continent would go and see it, so they "fib" and advertise it as a laugh riot, expecting that some people will go to see and be pissed off that they got "conned" and some people will go and see it and say, "well, it wasn't as funny as it was made out to be, but it was still a good story".

And this film was a good story that was actually intelligent and told in an imaginative way, which is more than I can say for the live action garbage that people are presently help making a financial success. People call this a "children's" film? What a laugh, especially when they are busy turning the real children's film into a billion dollar success.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Edwin-S said:

I would have given it the same rating. And I stated the reasons why I gave it that rating. What rating did you give it Edwin?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
I would have given it the same rating. And I stated the reasons why I gave it that rating. What rating did you give it Edwin?

I just came back from the film. An 'A' for getting outside the comfort zone that they have fallen into with some of their recent output. Green lighting an animated film about childhood depression and trauma that can occur with a "major" life change took guts, considering that North American audiences expect animated films to be like trained seals: funny and predictable. A "B+" for execution......

Edit: .......because at the end it does fall into a certain predictability. That is probably a better reason than it not being dark enough.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The thing I didn't like in my viewing was the animated short LAVA. It was terrible. Possibly the worst short that PIXAR has ever made. The first thing that came to mind when she erupted and rose to the surface was the thought that now he'll never have a moments peace. I'm really tired of Hollywoods cliched "true love" nonsense: that every guy or woman is pining for someone to be in their life and that you can't be complete if you are not with someone.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Squire said:
Personally, I do prefer my cartoons cartoony. I think it's the wrong format for heavy handed life lesson messages

Pixar has made it clear that animation is not a genre - like comedy, or horror. It is a style of storytelling, and can be used to tell stories that appeal to any kind or level of audience.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I admire the effort Pixar made. Like I said it's their smartest most emotional film. That doesn't automatically make it good in my book. I didn't hate it by any means and there is much in it to admire. I believe the marketing was a bit disingenuous and as a result it may have tainted my viewing.

I didn't lava the Lava short either. [emoji12]

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
The thing I didn't like in my viewing was the animated short LAVA. It was terrible. Possibly the worst short that PIXAR has ever made.
I feel kind of bad trashing Lava because I love the idea of Pixar giving new talent a shot but it wasn't one of their better efforts. Fortunately, Inside Out was a big step up after Lava.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
TravisR said:
I feel kind of bad trashing Lava because I love the idea of Pixar giving new talent a shot but it wasn't one of their better efforts. Fortunately, Inside Out was a big step up after Lava.
Sez you![emoji13]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Looking like a $90 million+ opening. From Deadline:

"Ecstatic. That’s the one emotional character Disney execs left out of the film, because they knew they were going to be the ones personifying that feeling come Sunday when they count Inside Out’s money. The Pete Docter-Ronaldo del Carmen directed film is on track to post the second best Pixar bow of all-time with an estimated $83M $92M in 3,946 playdates as of this AM’s industry figures, behind Toy Story 3’s $110.3M and ahead of the ani house’s last feature toon, 2013’s Monsters University ($82.4M). The last 14 Pixar pics opened at No. 1 and IO is gonma end that streak. Oh, boo-hoo (As Ray Romano joked in his stand-up bit to his wife: “Go cry on a pile of money”). Pixar films have a 4.1 multiple when it comes to their opening-to-final cume, and everyone loves this one with an A CinemaScore (Pixar’s ninth A) and a 98% Rotten Tomatoes, so expect IO to play for some time, even when Uni’s Minions show up July 10. Another reason why IO is so joyful in multiplex cash registers is because it’s pumped by such endorphins like 3,100 3D playdates as well as a handful of pills, err Imax screens."

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Thomas Newton said:
Pixar has made it clear that animation is not a genre - like comedy, or horror. It is a style of storytelling, and can be used to tell stories that appeal to any kind or level of audience.
I never said it was a genre. I said it doesn't work for ME as a means of delivering heavy handed message movies. People have been making serious animation for a long time. Snow White ain't exactly a laugh fest! I also said Pixar can (and will) make whatever they want. I have no problem with serious themes and touching moments (Finding Nemo etc...) but when a film is a downer from start to finish like Toy Story 3 I'll pass, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aegisav
Recent bookmarks