What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"Inside Out" by Pixar (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
All I want to know is if this is a fun movie for kids? My Father's Day gift was going to be a family trip to the movies to see this but, if it's not a lot of fun for kids then I don't want to waste the money. We do not go to many movie as a family because of the cost so I'd hate for the kids to come away bored. My kids are 7, 5 and 5.

Now, I don't mind a serious animated film and have enjoy quite a few but, it's different when we are going to spend $40+ to take the kids. If it really is more adult oriented then we may just wait and celebrate Father's Day next month with the Minions, our kids love the minions. Inside Out could wait for Blu-ray

So, how have your kids reacted to Inside Out?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Chris Will said:
All I want to know is if this is a fun movie for kids? My Father's Day gift was going to be a family trip to the movies to see this but, if it's not a lot of fun for kids then I don't want to waste the money. We do not go to many movie as a family because of the cost so I'd hate for the kids to come away bored. My kids are 7, 5 and 5.

Now, I don't mind a serious animated film and have enjoy quite a few but, it's different when we are going to spend $40+ to take the kids. If it really is more adult oriented then we may just wait and celebrate Father's Day next month with the Minions, our kids love the minions. Inside Out could wait for Blu-ray

How did they react to TOY STORY 3 and the opening 30 or so minutes of UP? This film is closer to the tone of those films than it is to, say, FINDING NEMO or the first TOY STORY. Also, this film is the second of Pixar's output where the main lead is a kid and the story is told from that character's perspective.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Squire said:
I never said it was a genre. I said it doesn't work for ME as a means of delivering heavy handed message movies. People have been making serious animation for a long time. Snow White ain't exactly a laugh fest! I also said Pixar can (and will) make whatever they want. I have no problem with serious themes and touching moments (Finding Nemo etc...) but when a film is a downer from start to finish like Toy Story 3 I'll pass, thanks.

Then you'd be right to pass on this one. I'd say it is closer to T3 in tone, except that the process of "letting go" is a lot more personal in this film than it was in T3; although, in terms of being a downer, it follows more of a distorted inverted bell curve than being a downer for the entire flick.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Edwin-S said:
Then you'd be right to pass on this one. I'd say it is closer to T3 in tone, except that the process of "letting go" is a lot more personal in this film than it was in T3; although, in terms of being a downer, it follows more of a distorted inverted bell curve than being a downer for the entire flick.
Thanks! If my wife wants to take the boys to it that's fine. Lord knows it's her turn! I'll wait and see what she thinks of it and then I may give it a go.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Chris Will said:

Not having kids I would say no. And imo I/O is 10x more serious/sad than Toy Story 3.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Chris Will said:

I can't say how you should spend your money, but a kid coming away bored from a film doesn't necessarily always end up being a bad thing. When I was a kid, my father went to see "Once Upon a Time in The West" as a family outing. At the time, I couldn't figure out was going on and found it incredibly boring; however, years later I could still recall scenes that had stuck in my head from that single viewing. When I watched it as an adult, I found that it was a great film.

My father, if he was able, would probably disagree with me, because shortly after that film he stopped going to movies. Long story short, it isn't necessarily a bad thing to expose a person to something that they may not find enjoyable at a particular point in time. If I had kids, I'd probably take them to see this film whether they liked it or not. Of course, I'd probably take them to MINIONS too. They would just be tag-a-longs any way, because I'd really be going to see the film for myself.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wonder how word of mouth will be. Next weekend will be interesting.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I saw it this weekend, and absolutely loved it.

I did laugh some, but it really is an emotional movie. But I felt it earned it.

Yes, it was sad, but not depressing. Not at all. It was a mix of joy and sadness. Like life. Bittersweet.

On a side note,

was anyone else reminded of Rock-Biter's question about his supposedly strong hands (in The Neverending Story) when Bling-Blong was sitting on the cliff after the wagon went over?

And I also liked Lava

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I didn't dislike 'Inside Out' as a film, but I did dislike the sadness character in the film. Every time the character opened her mouth to be sad about this or that, all I could think was how pathetic it was. I simply have no patience for sad and depressed. I can't remember ever truly feeling sad or depressed. Disappointed, yes. Angry, yes, Hurt, yes. But sad and depressed?.. nope! I can't empathize with it because I don't have a experiential basis for comparison. As far as I'm concerned, feeling sad and depressed is a waste of energy. There's too much great stuff going on in the world and it's a LOT more fun to get up off your butt and go experience the FUN in life instead of sitting around wasting life feeling sorry for yourself.

The Booth Bijou gives 'Inside Out' 3 out of 5 stars. Definitely not my favorite Disney/Pixar film.

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mark Booth said:
I didn't dislike 'Inside Out' as a film, but I did dislike the sadness character in the film. Every time the character opened her mouth to be sad about this or that, all I could think was how pathetic it was. I simply have no patience for sad and depressed. I can't remember ever truly feeling sad or depressed. Disappointed, yes. Angry, yes, Hurt, yes. But sad and depressed?.. nope! I can't empathize with it because I don't have a experiential basis for comparison. As far as I'm concerned, feeling sad and depressed is a waste of energy. There's too much great stuff going on in the world and it's a LOT more fun to get up off your butt and go experience the FUN in life instead of sitting around wasting life feeling sorry for yourself.[/size]

The Booth Bijou gives 'Inside Out' 3 out of 5 stars. Definitely not my favorite Disney/Pixar film.[/size]

Mark[/size]
It's upsetting to me everytime I see anyone say things like that about sadness and depression.

They are real and might be an epidemic
Problem.

One cannot simply stop being sad or depressed. Research.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Having a family member that suffers from clinical depression, I know all too well that it is a real condition and that someone that suffers from it can't just stop feeling that way because they want to.

My comments were in the context of reviewing the movie. I simply don't have the basis for comparison. I wasn't bragging and I wasn't trying to be mean or trying to upset anyone. Just being honest about my reasons for not really caring for the movie.

It IS after all a movie about emotions.

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok that makes it clear for me.

Your post seemed to include commentary about sadness and depression.

I have known people who don't believe it to be real and feel exactly what you wrote.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just saw this in 3D, I preferred it to seeing the 2D version which I saw earlier. I wouldn't say that this is a movie that everyone must see in 3D, but I think it is worth seeing if you generally prefer seeing movies in 3D. If you prefer 2D movies, see it that way.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Mark Booth said:
I didn't dislike 'Inside Out' as a film, but I did dislike the sadness character in the film. Every time the character opened her mouth to be sad about this or that, all I could think was how pathetic it was. I simply have no patience for sad and depressed. I can't remember ever truly feeling sad or depressed. Disappointed, yes. Angry, yes, Hurt, yes. But sad and depressed?.. nope! I can't empathize with it because I don't have a experiential basis for comparison. As far as I'm concerned, feeling sad and depressed is a waste of energy. There's too much great stuff going on in the world and it's a LOT more fun to get up off your butt and go experience the FUN in life instead of sitting around wasting life feeling sorry for yourself.

The Booth Bijou gives 'Inside Out' 3 out of 5 stars. Definitely not my favorite Disney/Pixar film.

Mark

I'm the opposite. I can't stand films where people are unbelievably happy, perky and full of joy all the time! This is why I like Kristen Wiig movies. She knows how to play sad and depressed--as evidenced by BRIDESMAIDS and WELCOME TO ME--which I could totally relate to. And films where people are completely at odds with the world and have devised coping mechanisms that are absolutely hilarious, like W.C. Fields in pretty much every one of his movies, but especially IT'S A GIFT, THE BANK DICK and NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK. Don't know what I'll make of INSIDE OUT, but I absolutely hated UP. Just out of curiosity, what did you think of UP, Mr. Booth? That old grouch in it was pretty sad and depressed, but I have my own theory as to why--and I had absolutely no sympathy for him!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I liked the geezer in 'UP' and could empathize with his character being grumpy because he had lost the love of his life and he was lonely. He had good reason to be sad.

The sadness character in 'Inside Out' was just sad for sadness sake. Which, I completely understand is the entire point of the character. But I still didn't like the character. I enjoyed all of the other character emotions and laughed at their jokes and humorous situations.

Mark

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, we went ahead and took the family to see this earlier this week and everyone loved it! This may have just dethroned Wall-E as my favorite Pixar movie... maybe, jury is still out.

I was worried by comments in this thread that the movie was just going to be depressing but, I didn't find it as sad as some here made it out to be. Some post made it seem that the movie ended on a down note which is why I questioned taking my kids to it but, I thought the movie had a very nice satisfying ending. Not over the top happy but, normal happy is how I'd subscribe it.

I really like the family message in the movie and that surprised me.
I feared that Pixar was going to split the family up when the dad started answering his phone and leaving for work early but, they didn't. The family came together to pull each other through a tough time and I really enjoyed that message.

Some of the forgotten memories that Joy picks up got to my wife. Like the memory of Riley sticking her tongue out while she used crayons. My 5 year old son does that right now so, things like that really touched my wife. She was the most skeptical going into the movie, the trailers just didn't impress her much but, she really enjoyed the movie.

All my kids laughed and had a good time. No, they don't get the deeper meaning or message of the film but, they thought Sadness and Anger were really funny. When Pixar is on point, there is no better filmmakers out there IMO. My family gives this one a 10/10!

My wife and I also enjoyed "Lava," we thought the song was nice. The play on the word lava totally went over the kid's heads though. FYI for you soundtrack guys, the song from "Lava" is included on the CD version of the album if you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gjames2190
Recent bookmarks