What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"Inside Out" by Pixar (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Colin Jacobson said:
Saw this today and liked it - thought it was inventive and entertaining.

Not quite sure why so many seem to think it's this super-downer of a movie, though. It has some emotional moments but it seems more like a comedic journey than anything else.

You guys make it sound like a Bergman movie! :lol:
The movie I saw had me crying like a baby the last 30 minutes. What movie did you see?
:)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
The movie I saw had me crying like a baby the last 30 minutes. What movie did you see?
:)

I said it has emotional moments, but some people here make it sound like the movie's relentlessly dark and depressing...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
I said it has emotional moments, but some people here make it sound like the movie's relentlessly dark and depressing...

I liked it...but my wife didn't because it had "too much action. Too many chases, etc."

There were other reasons, too, but she mostly didn't like it because she felt it was too much of an action film. [Yes, this is something that's a struggle whenever I want to watch something that can be truly characterized as an action film. :biggrin: Especially since I don't have a dedicated room for my HT. it is in my living room.]

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I liked it...but my wife didn't because it had "too much action. Too many chases, etc."

There were other reasons, too, but she mostly didn't like it because she felt it was too much of an action film. [Yes, this is something that's a struggle whenever I want to watch something that can be truly characterized as an action film. :biggrin: Especially since I don't have a dedicated room for my HT. it is in my living room.]

Half the people here think "Inside Out" is a dark, depressing existential drama, and your wife thinks it's a slambang action movie! Man, opinions seem to be all over the place! :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:

I think your wife queued up some other film to watch from Core Memory. The "Inside Out" I saw didn't have too much adventure :D

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Saw this today. Pixar was as adept at pushing the feels buttons as the emotions in Riley's head were. Laugh out loud humor coupled with numerous sad and bittersweet moments that anybody who has had a childhood (or even an adulthood) can relate to. Lots of clever little bits, too - especially loved the plays on words (abstract thoughts room, the train of thought, etc), and the contrasts with the visits with the emotions in other character's heads. It's one of my top 5 Pixar films for sure. And don't forget...

Triple Dent Gum will make you smile!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Deadline is now reporting that Inside Out edged out Jurassic World for the 4th of July weekend box office.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wayne_j said:
Deadline is now reporting that Inside Out edged out Jurassic World for the 4th of July weekend box office.
Looks like IO came out on top by about $550K. Probably its last opportunity to hit #1, as "Minions" is likely to own next weekend.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw this again today and I liked Lava (the short) more on a second viewing. I liked Inside Out just as much as I did the first time around.

Malcolm R said:
...as "Minions" is likely to own next weekend.
They're making a Minions movie? I wonder why they didn't have more tie-in products and advertising for it. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
They're making a Minions movie? I wonder why they didn't have more tie-in products and advertising for it. :)

:laugh:

You'd think you wouldn't be able to walk through a store without seeing Minions...everywhere. ;)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Mike Frezon said:
:laugh:

You'd think you wouldn't be able to walk through a store without seeing Minions...everywhere. ;)

I think I saw an ad using Minions to sell apples ... but I haven't yet seen the most obvious ad: using Minions to sell BA-NA-NA!!!!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Colin Jacobson said:
I agree that "Lava" was bad. It seems like Pixar/Disney feel an unending need for anthropomorphized objects that fall in love. Some of these are cute/fun, but a lonely volcano might be the dumbest idea to come down the chute - and prominently turning "lava" into a pun made it even worse...
I loved Lava. I liked the song, singing, and animation. In just a few sort minutes I was involved and rooting for the two volcanos to get together. I also found myself wondering if it wasn't based on some ancient Hawaiian legend. Top notch. I'd buy the blu just to have Lava.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was talking to someone who worked on the film yesterday and told him my issues with it. After talking to him for a half hour and he explaining the story process and what they were aiming for it made me want to see it again to see if my disappointment with it still stands.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I saw INSIDE OUT today. That whole middle section with the pink elephant imaginary playmate leading Joy on a wild goose chase through a gumball labyrinth wore me out and I wound up falling asleep. Too abstract for me. Given what the ultimate point of the movie is, the whole thing could have been told as a children's picture book and been much more effective. It didn't need a movie to make that point.

I've been dealing a lot lately with childhood memories and writing them up for a future project and pondering the kinds of things that I remember vividly and the kinds of things I've forgotten. Given the peculiar way my memory works and the way childhood memories flit in and out of my consciousness on a daily basis, often with no reason for being summoned, and the way I frequently remember things in great detail that my siblings and childhood friends have all forgotten, I simply couldn't relate to the movie's treatment of this issue. My mind has simply never worked that way and I can’t even imagine little creatures talking and acting independently of each other in my head. It just seemed like a thoroughly prosaic and simplistic way to dramatize, and therefore reduce, the workings of the mind. To me, the richness of memory is too important an aspect of human experience to trivialize or cheapen in such a manner.

I wonder how people with varying degrees of autism react to this film. I've never been diagnosed, but I'm pretty certain I'm somewhere on that spectrum. I wonder if that determined my reaction to the film. Yet people with high degrees of autism may react more strongly and more positively to the creatures in the film because they express emotions in very clear and graphic ways.

What films have succeeded for me in the ways they deal with thought processes and the play of memory in one’s consciousness? The first one I can think of is last summer's LUCY, with Scarlett Johansson, and the mental trip she takes late in the film. I remember sitting up in the theater with that exhilarating feeling of recognition because I totally related to it. Something happened in the trip that was very similar to something unique that I experienced. Aside from that, I’d have to turn to trippy anime like “Serial Experiments Lain” and “Boogiepop Phantom” for similar experiences. Or American avant-garde films, which I used to see regularly on a professional basis a few decades ago. As for other feature films from either America or Europe, I’m sure there must be some but I can’t think of them offhand.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
DaveF said:
I started this thread with a dismal view of the trailer. Fortunately, they did not reveal the full nature of Inside Out.

It was a rich, mature movie. It competes with Toy Story 2, for dealing with profound human experiences, made safe by animation and deft metaphor.

It isn't my favorite. It isn't a rollicking adventure that's rewatchable. It's too potent to be rewatched soon.

But it was a superb cinematic experience. I'm glad to have been wholly wrong in my expectations.
So, finally saw this, on blu. I had my doubts about Pixar and Disney, and haven't really liked the latest Pixar movies that much, but, boy, this was different. You could tell the boys from Pixar had gone from toys and computer games to facing parenthood (alhthough I know the script was written (in part) by a woman.

We have a 19 year old girl, and both felt really strongly about this movie. I didn't think it was too potent to be rewatched, in fact, I actually felt like seeing it all over again as soon as it ended. Nice to see Pixar digging a little deeper than usual.

Pixar have totally redeemed themselves in my book, this is my new favorite Pixar movie.

Mikael Soderholm said:
Possibly slightly off-topic, but this is probably the best description of depression I've ever read: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.se/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

Can't wait to see the movie, I have been a bit underwhelmed by Pixar lately, hoping they have now come back in form.
Like I said above, boy, have they ever.

One question, in the extras, during the interviews, Meg LeFauve mentions during a reading how she asked a question, which wasn't initially adressed, and how John Lasseter motioned the others to be quiet while the question was addressed, but the question in question was never mentioned. What did she ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks