What's new

Indy DVD's on 10/21, any deals 2 be found? (1 Viewer)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I just got the Widescreen Indiana Jones Box set at Best Buy (with 5th disc) for 33.99+tax ($35.52 with tax).

I'm lucky I have a Best Buy and Eckerd's within walking distance of my work. Best Buy didn't want to match the price because:

BB Cashier- We don't match them because they don't give rainchecks
Me- It just came out today, I won't need a raincheck
BB Cashier- But they don't have any and we called, they aren't giving rainchecks.
Me- It doesn't say that on this ad, It just says "Arrives Tuesday Oct 21st, 34.99 'Indiana Jones Trilogy' on DVD." In fact back here it says "If an advertised item is out of stock we'll give you a raincheck (except on seasonal merchandise)" And I don't think these DVD's are seasonal
BB Cashier- Did you still want it?
Me- okay

So, after buying it (I wanted the Widescreen version and knew I could get a raincheck) I walked over to Eckards and spoke with the manager:

Eckards manager- Oh, we don't have them in yet, would you like a rain check? I didn't even have to ask for one.

Then I walked back to Best Buy

Me- They are giving rain checks, here is one I just got 5 mins ago
BB Customer Service- Oh, we don't price match rain checks
Me- Do you price match ads?
BB Customer Service- Let me talk to my manager
BB Manager- ...If he has the rain just just match it

So I got the $10 price difference plus 10% of the difference (part of their store's policy, if you can find a better advertised price within 30 days of purchase, I didn't even press them on that, but hey, extra $1 off!)

There was no mention of the 5th disc. I don't know why they came up with the "Rain Check" policy, but they should have informed everyone. The Customer Service person looked at me like I was nuts for bring up rainchecks on an item that just came out today and was sure not to sell out with in the few hours stores have been open so far.

Chris Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from Best Buy. They price matched Eckerd's $34.99 price without batting an eye. They also price matched CC's $12.99 price for Pink Floyd-Live at Pompeii. :D

Jim-M

Second Unit
No Eckerd's around here, and Fry's isn't advertising the Indy set today. They may wait until the weekend as is their wont.
In Sunday's paper SoCal Fry's were advertising it for $39.99. Maybe you missed it and your Fry's has it for that price?

John Gido

Second Unit
Just got back from Blockbuster Video, they price matched the Eckerds ad and then some. Paid $31.99 (plus tax, $33.59 total) for the widescreen. Manager stated that he won't be selling too many for THAT price (BBV price was $54.99).

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Not sure what's up with this release.

I bought Indy at a WalMart near me for ~$44 and then (by chance) checked another location looking for the Battlestar Galactica release.

The second WalMart was selling Indy for ~$37 (!).

Pulled my set out of the glovebox, returned it right there, and bought another one for $7 less.

Very strange....but good!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I first went to Eckerd, but they didn't have any of the Indy sets in the store. I try to give my business first to the low price leader. Well, I tried.

The Best Buy in Duluth, GA wasn't price-matching Eckerd. So I took the DVD set, and calmly returned it to the storefront display and walked out. It simply wasn't worth it to argue with a manager since the policy had been set by noon today. Whatever...

Then I drove across the street and picked up a widescreen set at Wal-Mart for $33.25 ($35.24 including tax), and that was that. I couldn't see paying $11 for a bonus disc.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
No Eckerds anywhere around here--never heard of them before. So it's good timing for the McDonald's Best Buy Bucks--got it for $37 with those babies. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
So it's good timing for the McDonald's Best Buy Bucks--got it for $37 with those babies.
There are people who eat McDonalds every day, I assume you get those BBBuscks with large fries. Some people eat 3 times a day there.

So, there are some Fat people getting Free DVDs(or something bigger!) right now.

Count me as another sucessful pricematcher *S. I went to best buy during lunch and had no problems with the eckards pricematching. Although, I have a strange feeling that this wont last very long...hmmmm.

Good Luck to all.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
It has to. Best Buy would have to change their policy of matching ADVERTISED Prices. Eckard didn't put any restrictions that Best Buy could use as a "loophole"

I would recommend people find another store that carried Widescreen if their Best Buy refuses to match.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I price matched the Eckerd's ad at Best Buy in Fort Lauderdale with no problem whatsoever. The cashier asked if the manager had approved matching the ad and the other cashier said yes. I went to the one on US 1 near Oakland Park.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Put me in the category of pricematchers -- denied!

At my local BestBuy, the register person said I needed to do the pricematch at the customer service desk. The guy on duty saw me coming with the ad and told me they wouldn't be price-matching the Eckerd price because he called three local stores and they had none in stock.

So, I begrudgingly got it at the BB advertised price of $44.99.

But, I think I'll end up returning it after a trip to my local Wal-Mart. :D

I think everybody's right. A 10-minute bonus disk ain't worth the $10.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well Fry's around here also had the sets on for $39.99. I grabbed about the last widescreen set in the flagship Sunnyvale store at lunchtime today. Funny how they had a whole shelf full of pan&scan copies that nobody was buying. Looks like they sold out of the WS versions quickly.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Neil White

I'm stopping at that BB on the way home from work. Did you price match or just buy it at 39?

Did they have alot of Widescreen with bonus disk?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
For those in San Diego County....

I picked up my copy of the Indy Trilogy at Blowout Video (also listed as Blowout DVD). They have a store at Midway and Rosecrans and another in Rancho San Diego. They may have other locations. Their price is $39.99. I had to ask for it as they had just opened and the stock was behind the counter. I got the widescreen version so I don't know if they even have the fullscreen set.

Could have gotten that price at Fry's but Blowout Video was a LOT closer so I saved on gas! :)

Mark

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Over on DVD Talk, several people have reported Wal-Mart selling it for $33.43, no price match needed. I ordered from Amazon with STL at a cost of $40.94. I emailed them to see if they'd knock $5 off to stay competitive, worth it rather than them having to pay for my returning it and restocking, etc.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Not in my area its selling for $46.95 but they have no reason to lower the price no Eckards around here...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks