What's new

Indy DVD's on 10/21, any deals 2 be found? (1 Viewer)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to have BB price match Eckerd since the full screen is shown in both ads. Then once it is rang up I'll simply say I want to get the widescreen instead.:D

Wish me luck.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
About a couple of weeks back, I received some Circuit City coupons in the mail. They don't expire until 10/26. One of the coupons is good for 10% off of up to 3 DVD's.

For me, it will come down to this: Do I think that the Best Buy bonus DVD is worth the approximately $4.59 that I would save by going to Circuit City...

Right now, I'm leaning toward Best Buy.

EDIT: Well, looks like my decision has been made for me. Circuit City's price on Indy is $49.99. That negates any advantage that they had over Best Buy... Best Buy, here I come! I'm even taking off of work on Tuesday for this!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
For those in Canada: Geez, the price of the Indy set has really floated a lot lately. The best price so far is at Future Shop: $56 (about US$40). If you bought one of the cheap discs (most are pretty good titles, good enough that you may have most of them already) with a coupon, then it's $51. If you didn't buy one of those discs yet, you can buy the same disc(s) after Indy is out and get Indy for $48.50. If you pre-order Indy by tomorrow, you get the Bonus DVD from FS too, guaranteed. Otherwise you risk not getting the Bonus disc, may be out by the time you get to the store...can only pre-order in person, not by phone or online to get the bonus.

Since BB, FS, and WM all price match, for a straight no-coupon no-bonus purchase, any of these should do $56. I would not be surprised if the price drops another few bucks by Thursday, that's been the trend (around here) lately. I see $50 :) in my crystal ball for a short time before the Christmas shopping season gets into gear (i.e. the day after Halloween), then a price increase.

Agree with the others, same for Canada: just not worth ordering major studio releases online, B&M's always beat or equal the online price. Actually, FS will price match any Canadian online price anyway. [Well, not totally true re online purchases, Columbia House is the cheapest of anybody for major new releases, but it's like the stock market, you have to know when and how to buy from them, something you have to learn, maybe pre-order months in advance like I do, and you won't get the discs until about 3-4 days after release...]

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy (at least my experience in Pleasant Hill CA) is they will not meet Costco price. I have brought in friends receipts for them to match. Each time they have said: "Costco is a memebership store and we are not required to meet their prices."

They would not match Fry's prices either because they claimed they were to far away. That has since changed. They now match Fry's prices. This maybe because a Fry's is supposed to open in Concord (CA).

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
About a couple of weeks back, I received some Circuit City coupons in the mail. They don't expire until 10/26. One of the coupons is good for 10% off of up to 3 DVD's.
The fine print says "regularly priced DVDs"; it may not apply to 'specials' like this.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Fry's Outpost is usually a couple bucks cheaper than the store, it seems they makeup the difference with shipping costs.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Eckerd does indeed have Indy for $34.99, but the "Fullscreen" is only on the box and practically illegible because it's so small plus it's covered by the arrival date. So while my girlfriend who works at Eckerd assures me that there's no way in heck they'll have a single widescreen copy knowing them, there should be little to no problem pricematching at Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-mart or Blockbuster. I've been trying to decide about whether to purchase this or not, but with a price that's HALF of the MSRP, I really can't go wrong.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
If anyone has success using the Eckerd flyer for pricematch for a widescreen copy, could you kindly post your results here. I suppose negative results would be good to know as well. I won't be able to try until later in the week due to work schedule. Hope there are some left by then.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
David_Jr-
I got my copy of the eckerd ad this morning, and will probably try the following stores:

Blockbuster
Wal-Mart
Best Buy
Circuit City
Media Play

until I get a hit. I'll let you know.

You might want to go ahead and pick up a circular soon if you don't get these ads in the mail. Lots of stores will pull their circular once they realize people are just taking it elsewhere to pricematch.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm thinking it might be a good idea to use the eckerd match as soon as best buy opens or any store, because they may try to call the closest eckerd to see if it's still in stock.

some stores will only match if the other store has the item in stock.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I just noticed that the full and widescreen are also different colors .
Isn't that a good thing? I liked the fact that Spiderman had different Cover Art for the different formats. Some DVDs are virtually identical and mistakes can be made.

What is the color difference?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Michael M., is that the Boynton Beach Best Buy you're planning to PM Eckerd at? Please post your success or failure -- I'm planning the same tactic at the same store! :)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I know my local CC will price match the Indy Jones set with Eckerd's but the sticking point may be that the PC is only good on a Full Frame version.

Thats why its important to get to your local store as early as possible before they all catch on to the ad.

Hopefully the sales girl won't even notice that different sets and honor the PC without question.

Plus CC has Floyd's "Live In Pompeii" for only $12.99

John Geelan

Screenwriter
It'll be funny to stand at the doors of the local CC at 10AM and see other guys with Eckerd ads in their hands.

One way to see who is a HTF member.:emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from the other forum someone says, "Eckerd = Genovese. The ads should be pretty much the same."

so if you have one of those stores it may be the same as eckerd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks